- Great ratings from industry organizations on financial strength and business practices, with lower than average complaints
- Quotes from Shelter Insurance Company can trend towards the higher end of auto insurance rates depending on which of its affiliates does the underwriting - we recommend checking against other insurers
- Regional restrictions: auto policies only available in the Midwestern and Southern states
Shelter Auto Insurance Rate Comparisons
We've looked at sample car insurance rates for Shelter against their competition:
Single Female, age 21
|Single Male, age 21||4,302||2,176||1,272|
|Married Male, age 30||1,362||695||536|
|Married Female, age 60||1,041||707||424|
In a Louisiana Insurance department auto rate comparison, Shelter ranked as one of the top ten most expensive companies (10th out of 72 surveyed). The sample insurance rates Shelter sent in for the various profiles above were nearly twice as expensive as the costs of auto insurance at two national insurers in the same survey. The most extreme example is for young and unmarried males, who generally pay the highest insurance rates. Among the 72 insurers, the average rate for that demographic was $3,093 vs. Shelter's $4,302 - more than $1,000 difference. GEICO's rates were $3,031 cheaper, and 70% lower than Shelter's in Louisiana. To see a list of cheap auto insurance providers in your area, enter your zip code below.
Find the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area
|AM Best Financial Strength Rating (2013)||A|
|Better Business Bureau Rating (2013)||A|
|NAIC Complaint Index (2012)||0.36 (better than average)|
Shelter Insurance Award Recognition
JD Power & Associates 2013 customer satisfaction report listed Shelter as having the 3rd highest level of satisfaction amongst policyholders in the entire Central Region. They finished number three behind State Farm and Auto-Owners Insurance.
Shelter Auto Insurance Policy & Coverage
Shelter offers auto insurance coverage across a broad swathe of the midwest and south United States via an agent network and their website. Their coverage includes the typical bodily injury liability and property damage liability in its standard policies. Their optional coverage includes accidental death benefits, disability income, gap insurance, and loss of use coverage. Policyholders have the option of customizing the liability limits for their policies as well. Shelter also extends temporary coverage for cars that replace insured vehicles covered by the company, as well as new cars to be added to the existing policy.
Auto Insurance Discounts at Shelter
Shelter Insurance provides a standard slew of discounts on car insurance, including the typical multi-policy discount, and safe driver discount. Of note are two discounts specific to the state of Louisiana. If you are a policyholder in Louisiana, displaying your vehicle identification number (VIN) can qualify you for additional discounts and savings. Shelter Insurance also provides discounts to active military personnel who are stationed to a military base in Louisiana (if you're an active or retired military personnel or family member, we also recommend looking at USAA Auto Insurance, which caters solely to the military community).
How to File a Claim with Shelter
Telephone Number: (800) SHELTER (in numeric form: 800-743-5837)
Note that glass-only auto claims and third party claims need to be filed over the phone. Filing a regular claim for a car accident is available online.
- Press 1 for the Claims menu
- Press 1 for a new claim, or 2 to ask questions about an existing claim
- Press 1 for automobile claims involving glass breakages or chips, or 2 for all other auto claims
- Press 1 if the caller is the policyholder, or 2 for other parties
- For hail damage to the vehicle, press 1. If the insured vehicle was damaged while park, or collided with parked vehicle, press 2. For a one-car accident with no passengers and no injuries with vehicle still drivable, press 3. All others, press 4
About Shelter Insurance
Shelter Insurance provides auto insurance for customers primarily located in the Midwestern and Southern part of the United States. The company operates twenty offices across fourteen states: Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. It has a pretty standard offering and website, and gives prospective policyholders the option of completing a quote online or through one of its 1,400 agents.
Related Articles: Best Car Insurance Companies