Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Teachers can sometimes snag lower rates for auto insurance than other drivers. Some companies factor a driver's job into their rates, while others offer specific discounts to teachers. Some companies have special coverages just for teachers. This includes no deductible if your car is damaged on school property.
Teachers pay 6% less for car insurance than service workers.
Auto insurance discounts for teachers
If you're a teacher looking for car insurance deals, check out the following companies, which offer discounts for teachers:
- Geico: Geico's list of groups eligible for insurance discounts includes many teacher organizations, such as the National Council of Teachers of English and the Association of American Educators.
- Farmers: K-12 teachers in Virginia can receive an affinity discount from Farmers.
- Horace Mann: Teachers and educators can get a discount at Horace Mann. So can members of some education-related groups.
- Liberty Mutual: Depending on your state, Liberty Mutual offers teachers savings on auto insurance.
- Meemic: You can save up to 35% with Meemic. Discounts include one for newly certified teachers. It applies for the first seven years of your career.
- Educators Insurance Agency: This company has discounts just for members of the Massachusetts Teachers Association. It's part of The Hanover Insurance Group.
- Teachers Insurance Plan of New Jersey: Offers lower insurance rates to the state's educators. It's part of Plymouth Rock.
Be aware that discount availability can vary by state. The best way to confirm availability is to call the insurance company or speak with a local agent.
Cheap auto insurance for teachers
Many companies take a driver's job into account when setting rates. Your education level can impact your rates as well, which benefits the many teachers with advanced and graduate degrees.
Teachers pay 6% less for auto insurance than service workers do. Progressive charged teachers $63 less per year than service workers, while Geico charged $114 less.
Insurance companies usually consider drivers with more education and certain jobs less risky, which means these drivers often receive lower rates.
Bear in mind that not every company will ask for your profession when you search for quotes online. You might have to talk to an agent to confirm if you can receive discounts for being a teacher.
Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Best car insurance coverage for teachers
In addition to offering discounts on car insurance, some companies offer coverages specifically tailored to the needs of teachers.
Liberty Mutual is a major national insurance company that offers auto insurance coverages for teachers. These coverages include:
- Waived deductible for a covered collision that occurs while you are driving your car on school business
- Waived deductible for damage to your vehicle caused by vandalism while on school grounds or at school events
- Coverage of $2,500 per occurrence, for school property or teaching materials in your vehicle that get stolen or damaged
Teachers can get an insurance quote from Liberty Mutual either by using its online form or by calling 800-290-6247.
Educators who purchase a car insurance policy from Horace Mann automatically receive an Educator Advantage package with no extra cost. This package includes a number of helpful features for educators, including:
- New car replacement coverage, which covers the cost of a replacement car if yours is totaled
- Up to $35 in transportation if you feel you can't safely drive home
- A waived deductible for vandalism or a collision on school property or at a school event
- Extra emergency road service coverage
- Liability coverage while transporting students in a car insured by Horace Mann
- Up to $1,000 in coverage for any personal property that you use as a teacher that is stolen from your car
- Up to $1,000 in pet injury coverage
Teachers interested in these coverages can get a car insurance quote from Horace Mann. Quotes are available online or by phone at 800-999-1030.
Meemic sells car insurance to educators in Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Georgia. In addition to getting up to 35% off their insurance through discounts, teachers can get the following benefits from Meemic:
- Waived comprehensive deductible if your loss occurs on school property
- Liability coverage when driving students to and from school events
- Repairs completed with original equipment manufacturer parts
- Accident forgiveness for drivers who have stayed accident-free and held a Meemic policy for five years
To get a car insurance quote from Meemic, you can use the company's online tool or contact a local agent.
California Casualty specializes in insurance products for select affinity groups, such as teachers, police officers, nurses, firefighters or paramedics.
Like Liberty Mutual, California Casualty offers a number of features to teachers at no extra cost:
- Waived comprehensive deductible if your car is vandalized on school property
- Waived collision deductible if your car is hit on school property
- Waived collision deductible if another California Casualty driver or an uninsured driver hits you
- Waived deductible if you're driving a rental car
- Identity theft protection
- Waived deductible for windshield repairs
- Up to $2,000 to replace custom parts
- $500 in personal property coverage for items taken from your car, except electronics
- Up to $1,000 in pet injury coverage, with no deductible
- Towing and roadside assistance
- Coverage for school supplies taken from your car
- Payment plans that allow teachers to skip payments during the summer months
California Casualty also partners with the California Teachers Association and the National Education Association (NEA) to offer an Auto and Home Insurance program. Home and renters insurance include $3,000 of coverage for personal property that you use for teaching, with no deductible.
To request a quote from California Casualty, teachers can either use the online form or call 866-680-5143.
Teachers Insurance Plan of New Jersey
Plymouth Rock has low rates and a number of helpful coverages through Teachers Insurance Plan of New Jersey. These include:
- Free roadside assistance (other drivers must purchase this coverage)
- Waived comprehensive deductible for damage that happens on school property
- Waived collision deductible for damage that happens on school property
- Door-to-door valet claim service or Crashbuster appraisal service that comes to you
Quotes from Teachers Insurance Plan of New Jersey can be obtained either online or via phone at 855-993-4470.
How to get cheaper car insurance rates as a teacher
There are other ways for teachers to get affordable auto insurance besides discounts. Companies reward drivers with discounts for a number of different behaviors and features:
- Multipolicy. Getting more than one policy from the same company can often score you a discount.
- Safe driving. Drivers who have maintained a clean record will often score discounts.
- Good student. Teachers who have a child with good grades listed on their policy can get discounts on auto insurance.
- Defensive driving discount. Take a defensive driving class to earn a discount off your premium.
- Safety features. Get a lower rate if your car has certain safety features. This includes air bags or anti-lock brakes.
- Pay-in-full. Teachers who buy their entire annual policy up front, rather than opting for monthly installments, can net a discount.
- Telematics. Share your driving data with your insurance company, and the more safely you drive, the larger your discount will be.
Teachers should compare quotes from multiple insurance companies to get the best rates.
Frequently asked questions
Do teachers get discounts on auto insurance?
Teachers can get discounts on auto insurance, but it depends on the company. Many companies factor a driver's job into their rate calculation, and teachers often benefit from this approach. Some companies also offer discounts specifically for teachers.
The best way to get affordable rates is to shop around and ask for a discount.
Does Horace Mann insurance cover rental cars?
Horace Mann insurance does cover rental cars. Drivers can add rental reimbursement coverage to their policy. This pays for a rental car while your car is in the repair shop.
What is the best insurance for teachers?
Certain insurance companies offer car insurance specifically tailored to the needs of teachers. These companies include Liberty Mutual, Horace Mann, California Casualty, Meemic and Plymouth Rock.
However, different teachers have different coverage needs, and some may find their best rates with companies not included in this article. We recommend comparing rates from multiple companies to get your best deal.