Liberty Mutual is usually an insurer to consider for different types of coverage, including auto, homeowners and renters insurance. Typically, a standard Liberty Mutual policy will meet the needs of most people while also providing customers some room for personalization.
The company's abundant discounts also increase the likelihood that many customers will be able to lower their premiums. However, despite Liberty Mutual's potential savings, its prices can fluctuate drastically. We found that the provider could be among the cheapest insurers or the most expensive, depending on the area.
Liberty Mutual Reviews
Is Liberty Mutual good insurance: our thoughts on your coverage options
Liberty Mutual is a great insurer for people looking for no-frills auto or homeowners policies. Basic auto, homeowners and renters coverage from Liberty Mutual all come with industry-standard protections and the chance to add two or three endorsements.
Additionally, Liberty Mutual's online quote form makes it easy for users to get the coverage they want, especially if they've never bought insurance before. It takes less than ten minutes to get a quote, and you can adjust your limits to see how the final price of your policy will be affected before buying. If it's important to have a relationship with an agent or representative, you can also take advantage of Liberty Mutual's local offices, though in most cases it's much easier to purchase insurance online.
The company's main drawback is its rates, which can alternate between the cheapest and most expensive options depending on the state or region you live in. You may also see much higher prices if you want to insure more property, especially homeowners. Even by qualifying for some of Liberty Mutual's many discounts, its prices can sometimes still be unattractive compared to its competitors.
Homeowners insurance key takeaway: Liberty Mutual is best for homeowners who aren't looking for a policy worth over $200,000. If you haven't bought insurance before or own a smaller property, consider Liberty Mutual for protection — especially if you qualify for more than one of its available discounts.
Renters insurance key takeaway: Liberty Mutual's renters insurance is a stronger option than its homeowners insurance. There are still many discounts to help reduce your premium, and renters insurance from Liberty Mutual is closer to its competitors in terms of average cost. Like the company's other policies, there are only a couple options for personalizing your coverage.
Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance Premium Comparison
Let's look at insurance quotes for three demographics and compare Liberty's rate with their competition. These sample quotes are from downtown Boston, MA.
Single Male, 20 yr
Single Female, 30 yr
Married Couple, 45 yr
Helpful Auto Insurance Features
Liberty Mutual offers a number of features that are helpful to its customers, such as accident forgiveness, a lifetime repair guarantee, and new car replacement. For example, drivers who have had spotless driving records for the previous five years (regardless of where their vehicle was insured) can have their first accident forgiven without increases to their auto insurance premiums. The company is affiliated with a national network of auto repair shops. Policyholders who get their cars repaired at one of these shops receive a lifetime repair guarantee. Furthermore, should the insured car be less than a year old with no more than 15,000 miles driven, then it is eligible for Liberty Mutual's optional New Car Replacement program. If the car is completely totaled (outside of North Carolina and Wyoming), the insurer will pay for a new car, and not at the lower depreciated current value of the car.
Find the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Community Service & Responsibility Mindset
While not directly related to its auto insurance business, the company maintains a foundation that donates back to community organizations as an extension of its "Responsibility" motto. Recently, it donated an undisclosed amount to the Wounded Warrior Project for Memorial Day in recognition of veterans' contributions.
Mixed Experiences with Premium Rates and Customer Service
Quotes from Liberty Mutual for car insurance can vary from state to state and city to city, underscoring the need for comparison shopping. We found that in California, Liberty Mutual's premium quotes ranked the company among the more expensive half of insurers in the state. In New Jersey, however, its rates trended towards the cheaper half of auto insurance. For this reason, it's important to compare quotes across at least three insurers to make sure consumers aren't losing money by overpaying for auto insurance.
Among on the feedback and reviews from Liberty Mutual's customers are claims that the company increased policy premiums with little or no notice and communication. While this may be the case for Liberty Mutual, it is also a common refrain we hear about other car insurance companies. One thing to note about Liberty Mutual's coverage is that rates are guaranteed for a year.
Liberty Mutual's auto insurance offerings can be accessed via its call center, website, a local Liberty Mutual agent/broker, or reps from its network of regional independent agent companies. At times, this vast network of representatives can result in uncoordinated communications between the teams of adjusters, agents, and claims representatives.
AM Best Financial Rating (2013)
Better Business Bureau Rating (2013)
NAIC Complaint Index (2012)
|0.98 (about average)|
How to File a Claim
Telephone Number: (800) 2CLAIMS ( in numeric form: 800-225-2467)
To get a human on the phone, please follow these menu instructions:
- Press 1 for English, and then 2 for claims
- Press 2 for Automobile Claims
- Press 1 for glass-only claims, 2 for first-time claims, and 3 for already reported claims
- Press 1 if you are the policyholder or a representative, or 2 if you are a driver involved in an accident with a Liberty Mutual policyholder, or 3 for all others
Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance review
While Liberty Mutual's homeowners insurance can sometimes be expensive, its price varies a lot depending on your area. Given its extensive discounts and service quality, you should consider it as long as the price fits within your budget.
If you'd like to check the cost of homeowners insurance near you, you could use the following secure form to compare the prices of multiple insurers, including Liberty Mutual.
Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance features and discounts
Liberty Mutual's standard homeowners insurance aligns with offerings that are typical across the rest of the market. If you want more security, you can add increased coverage for your valuables, water backup protection, and an endorsement which allows your benefits to keep up with the cost of inflation. Without adding any of these protections, a policy comes with coverage for your:
- Personal possessions
- Additional living expenses
One of the best parts about Liberty Mutual's homeowners insurance policy is the ability to lower your premiums by capitalizing on its discounts. Since many of these are easy to qualify for, it could make getting homeowners insurance from Liberty Mutual more affordable in places where it's otherwise an expensive option.
You might benefit from multiple discounts from Liberty Mutual if you're someone who's recently moved into a new house, or whose home has been remodeled. Additionally, you could qualify for more than one discount by utilizing Liberty Mutual's online quote form to shop for homeowners insurance. If you own an older home or have a history of making homeowners insurance claims, you may not be able to use discounts to reduce your premiums.
Here is Liberty Mutual's complete list of homeowners insurance discounts:
- Bundle & Save — Multi-Policy Discount: You might qualify for a multi-policy discount if you have a home and auto policy with Liberty Mutual.
- Claims-Free Discount: If you switch providers, you'll save if you haven't filed a claim with your previous insurer for at least five years.
- Safe Homeowner Program: After being claim-free with Liberty Mutual for at least three years, you could qualify for this discount.
- Protective Devices Discount: Become eligible by installing protective devices like smart home devices, smoke alarms, deadbolts, fire extinguishers, fire alarms, burglar alarms or sprinklers in your home.
- Newly Purchased Home Discount: Earn a discount if you've purchased your home recently.
- Early Shopper Discount: Save by requesting a quote before your policy with another carrier expires.
- Insured to Value Discount: You can become eligible when you insure your property for up to 100% of the cost to replace your home
- New/Renovated Home Discount: Substantially renovating or purchasing a new home earns you this discount.
- Military Discount: This discount is available to active duty and retired military service members.
- Preferred Payment Discount: Qualify for this discount by signing up for automatic monthly payments through Liberty Mutual's online funds transfer plan.
- New Roof Discount: Become eligible by having a new or recently replaced roof.
- Paperless Discount: Sign up for paperless billing and Liberty Mutual will deduct some of your premium.
Homeowners insurance quote comparison
We collected hundreds of quotes from across the country and found that Liberty Mutual's homeowners insurance rates are generally among the least affordable compared to its competitors. The company is most affordable to people looking to insure properties worth less than $200,000. Even though its prices are still relatively expensive compared to other companies', qualifying for discounts could lower your policy's cost and put it on par with, or even below, your state's average premium.
This graphic illustrates Liberty Mutual's average prices at three different levels of coverage. We chose the figure $217,600 to correspond with the national median value of owner-occupied homes.
Find the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Liberty Mutual renters insurance review
Liberty Mutual's renters insurance policies are fairly standard before you add endorsements. Like its homeowners insurance, Liberty Mutual's renters insurance may work best for people looking for standard coverage without needing to personalize their policies.
Unlike Liberty Mutual's homeowners insurance, we found that its renters insurance more generally matches the rates of its competitors.
Liberty Mutual renters insurance coverage and discounts
Liberty Mutual's standard renters insurance covers damage to your personal property, other people's property that you're responsible for and additional living expenses if your home is temporarily unlivable. You can choose to purchase additional coverage with Liberty Mutual's endorsements. You may elect to add:
- Replacement cost coverage: If you suffer a covered loss, your compensation won't be lessened by the depreciated value of your property.
- Blanket jewelry protection: Raises the limits of protection for your jewelry
- Earthquake insurance: If you live in an eligible area, you can add this protection to protect your property from the damage of earthquakes.
Like Liberty Mutual's other insurance policies, there's a lot of opportunity to apply discounts to your premium. People who take advantage of Liberty Mutual's online presence to shop for renters insurance coverage may be able to take advantage of more than one discount. You could also qualify for multiple discounts if you've outfitted your home with safety or security devices.
You may qualify for the following discounts:
- Claims-Free:You could save if you haven't filed a claim with your previous provider for five years or more.
- Military Discount:Active, retired or reserve members of the military can receive this discount.
- Early Shopper Discount:If you get a quote with Liberty Mutual before your current policy expires, you could save up to 45%.
- Smart Home:Installing smart protective devices in your home, like a security system, could save you money.
- Protective Devices:Invest in smoke alarms, deadbolts, fire extinguishers, fire alarms, burglar alarms or sprinklers to qualify.
- Multi-Policy:Bundle your renters insurance policy with another form of protection from Liberty Mutual.
- Preferred Payment Discount:Sign up for automatic payments linked to your bank account.
- Online Purchase Discount:Purchase a renters insurance policy online and receive a discount.
- Paperless Policy Discount:Get a discount for electing to receive your bill electronically.
Renters insurance quotes comparison
We gathered quotes from cities across the country and found that Liberty Mutual's renter insurance premiums tend to compare better with its competitors than its homeowners insurance rates. The price of coverage from Liberty Mutual is often only a couple of dollars more expensive than the second cheapest option. Also, the price of a typical $25,000 policy comes close to the national cost of renters insurance, which is $187.
In most cases, you should consider Liberty Mutual's renters insurance if you own less than $25,000 worth of property. Unfortunately, coverage isn't available for property worth more than $25,000. However, you can purchase coverage for as little as $5,000.
Liberty Mutual insurance rating
Whether you're searching for auto, homeowners, or renters insurance coverage, Liberty Mutual is one of the largest providers in the US. The company's financial health, evaluated by A.M. Best, is excellent for both its main auto and homeowners subsidiaries. Liberty Mutual's customer service ranking is also okay, though weaker than some of its competitors', especially for auto insurance.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), the standard-setting body for the insurance industry, tracks the complaints each company receives relative to its size. A complaint index above 1.0 means that an insurer exceeds the expected amount of complaints for its market share.
Liberty Mutual's largest homeowners insurance subsidiary has a complaint index of 0.5, meaning it gets about half the expected complaints. Its auto insurance gets more than the expected number of complaints, with a 1.18 complaint index. Most of Liberty Mutual's complaints stem from delays in the claims handling process or unsatisfactory offers or settlements after a loss.
|A.M. Best financial ranking (2019)||A (Excellent)|
|NAIC complaint index (2018)||0.50(homeowners)/1.18 (auto)|
To find our homeowners insurance rates, we pulled three sets of quotes from every ZIP code in the top 15 most populated states in the United States. Then, we averaged the overall cost of each company for each policy. Our sample properties were insured for $175,000, $217,600 (the average value of owner-occupied homes in the US), and $300,000. Our sample properties were built in 1978, the national median age of homes.
For our renters insurance premiums, we manually sourced quotes for Los Angeles, Colorado, Illinois and New York City. We collected data for policies with $500 deductibles and property coverage of $15,000, $25,000, and $30,000. We then averaged the cost of coverage for each policy level to arrive at comparable rates.
ValuePenguin's analysis used insurance rate data from Quadrant Information Services. These rates were publicly sourced from insurer filings and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your own quotes may be different.