Hanover's high rates mean it's not the best option for everyone. But drivers or homeowners who don't mind paying more can get a wide range of protection options and good customer service.
You might be able to get cheaper rates from The Hanover Insurance Group in the Northeast, in states like Massachusetts or New Hampshire. The company does most of its business in Michigan under the name Citizens Insurance.
Hanover car insurance
Hanover car insurance quotes
Hanover auto insurance quotes tend to be much more expensive than insurance from its competitors, though it can be cheaper in some areas.
In Michigan, where The Hanover Group does a large portion of its business, the company's rate of $532 per month for full coverage is nearly three times as much as average. Most of The Hanover's policies in Michigan are solid as Citizens Insurance.
Hanover is also widely available in the Northeast, and it can be a cheaper option there.
Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area
How do Hanover Insurance quotes compare to other companies?
Auto insurance discounts from The Hanover Insurance Group
Hanover Insurance Group only offers a small selection of discounts for car insurance. That means you will have limited options to lower the company's high rates. Discounts are available for:
- Bundling auto and home policies
- Paying premiums for new auto policies in full
- Installing anti-theft devices
- Owning a car with enhanced safety features
- Insuring more than one vehicle with The Hanover
- Maintaining high grades in school
- Having an insured student away at college who seldom drives
Hanover car insurance coverage
Hanover Insurance offers a wide range of extra kinds of coverage that policyholders can add onto their regular car insurance. The company offers most of the standard types of coverage, including liability, comprehensive, collision and personal injury protection (PIP). Additionally, shoppers can purchase the following extra coverages:
- Roadside assistance: Provides towing and emergency services for stranded drivers and broken-down cars.
- Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts: Helps ensure repairs to your car will be done with parts from the original manufacturer. Regular coverage only provides parts for the three most current models, but you can upgrade to lifetime parts coverage.
- Transportation expense coverage: Pays for transit expenses after an accident, including a rental car.
- Newer car replacement: Pays out the actual cash value of the model of your car, one year newer, if yours is found to be too expensive to repair.
- Accident forgiveness: Helps you avoid a premium increase after your first accident within any three-year period.
- Deductible dividends: Reduces your policy's collision deductible by $100 for every year you don't have an accident, up to $500.
Highlight coverage: Hanover Platinum
The Hanover offers customers three levels of what it calls "Platinum" coverage. The base coverage, Platinum Auto Essential, includes:
- Waiver of deductible
- Car seat replacement
- OEM parts and mechanical parts replacement
- Ultimate rental (up to $3,000 for a rental car)
- Key replacement coverage
Higher levels can include second chance accident forgiveness, newer car replacement, pet injury protection and home care services.
Hanover home insurance
Hanover home insurance quotes
The Hanover's home insurance is extremely expensive for basic coverage.
The company's average rate of $2,742 per year is more than twice as expensive as average. Coverage from Hanover is extremely expensive in both the Midwest and Northeast.
Find Cheap Homeowners Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Hanover home insurance quotes vs. other companies
Home insurance discounts from The Hanover Insurance Company
Hanover and Citizens offer very few home insurance discounts, especially compared to major insurers.
- New home discount
- Homebuyer discount
- Safety and security device discount (includes smoke detectors and central alarm)
- Affinity group discount
Hanover home insurance coverage
If you want a more complete home insurance policy, Hanover has a good set of options to add to your coverage. Those extra coverages will add to the company's already high rates.
- Siding/roof replacement coverage: Pays to replace all your siding or your whole roof if materials to match the current siding or roof are not available.
- Equipment breakdown coverage: Protects you against unexpected mechanical or electrical breakdowns of appliances in your home. Does not cover corrosion or normal wear and tear.
- Guaranteed replacement cost coverage: Covers the full cost to rebuild your home if it's destroyed, with similar materials and current labor and material costs.
- Water backup and sump pump overflow coverage: Pays for water damage caused by a pipe backup. This kind of damage is not covered by basic home insurance policies.
- Service line coverage: Pays for unexpected costs because of damage to a service line on your property. Includes power lines, phone and cable lines, and water and sewer pipes.
- Scheduled items coverage: Provides extra coverage for expensive items, including jewelry, which would otherwise be limited, with a standard policy.
- Waiver of deductible: If you pay for this coverage, you will only pay one deductible if a single event requires multiple claims. For example, if your car and home are both covered by The Hanover and damaged, you will only pay the higher deductible.
Highlight coverage: Hanover Platinum Home
Hanover offers customers three levels of extra home coverage: Platinum Select, Platinum Select Plus and Platinum Select Premium. All of them include refrigerated products coverage, lock replacement coverage and extended coverage for your home and belongings.
Purchasing Select Plus or Select Premium adds other protections, such as:
- Water backup coverage up to $10,000
- Identity protection coverage
- Personal injury coverage
Hanover Insurance company reviews
The Hanover Insurance Group offers good customer service. Generally, its largest subsidiaries receive fewer complaints about settlements and claims than average companies their size, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
The company's car insurance also received an above average rating from J.D. Power.
Number of complaints
|Hanover Insurance Co.||76% fewer than average|
|Citizens Insurance Co. of America||31% fewer than average|
|Citizens Insurance Co. of the Midwest||45% fewer than average|
|Massachusetts Bay Insurance Co.||50% fewer than average|
|Allmerica Financial Benefit Insurance Co.||42% fewer than average|
The Hanover Insurance Group currently has an A+ (Superior) financial strength rating from AM Best. This means that there's little risk of the company defaulting on claims if a major catastrophe happens.
Other Hanover insurance options
Hanover offers a wide range of other types of insurance, so you have the option of combining policies if you like. In addition to home and auto, The Hanover offers these types of insurance:
- Home business or business
Frequently asked questions
What is the Hanover Insurance claims contact number?
Hanover's claims contact number is 800-628-0250, while general questions can be directed to 800-922-8427.
Is Hanover insurance good?
Yes, Hanover insurance is good, but it is expensive. You will have to pay notably high rates, but you can add a wide range of extra coverages and get good customer service.
Does Hanover Insurance cover rental cars?
Yes, assuming you buy transportation expense coverage. That will cover transit costs after an accident, including renting a car.
Rates for home and auto insurance are from Michigan where The Hanover, through Citizens Insurance, does a large amount of its business. ValuePenguin also analyzed rates from Massachusetts and Maine for rate information in the Northeast.
Prices for car insurance are for full coverage for a 30-year-old male driver with a 2015 Honda Civic EX.
Home insurance rates are for a policy with enough dwelling coverage to match the median value of a house in Michigan.
Quotes were compiled using Quadrant Information Services. Rate data is based on an analysis of insurer filings. Prices are for comparative purposes only, and your quotes will likely be different.