Humana offers a range of Medicare Supplement Insurance (also called Medigap) plans at affordable rates. Costs are about average compared to competitors, ranging from $120 to $314 per month for Medigap Plan G. Humana offers useful add-ons such as vision and hearing discounts, but the rate of customer complaints is higher than typical.
Our thoughts: Why we recommend Humana Supplement plans
Humana's Medicare Supplement plans can help you reduce your portion of health care costs beyond what's provided by Original Medicare. Humana's Medigap plans are moderately priced, and there is a good selection of plan options.
Plus, Humana's Medicare Supplement plans have add-on benefits including discounts on vision, hearing and Lifeline medical alert, which can be a key resource for aging at home. Plans also include the popular SilverSneakers fitness program.
Humana Medigap doesn't include any dental benefits. However, you can choose to enroll in a Humana dental insurance policy that has a large network of dentists and no waiting periods for most dental services.
Humana does have a higher rate of complaints than is typical for an insurer of its size. This is an important factor to consider because customer service is a key way to differentiate between providers offering standardized Medigap policies. However, Humana's wide availability, useful add-on benefits and reasonable rates mean that Humana Medicare Supplement plans are still a good choice for many people.
Coverage and plan features
The coverage for each Medicare Supplement plan is consistent across all insurance companies. This means a Humana plan will have the same medical cost-sharing benefits as a plan you get from another company.
Humana offers all plan options except for Plan D and Plan M. For those specifically seeking these plans, a good alternative is Plan G, which is our recommendation for the best overall coverage, and it covers 100% of skilled nursing facility coinsurance. If you specifically want Plan D or M, you can also consider one of our best-rated Medicare Supplement companies.
In addition to the standard Medicare benefits, such as being able to go to almost any doctor or medical facility, Humana policyholders also get access to the following programs:
- 24/7 nurse line
- Vision discount through EyeMed
- Discounts on hearing aids and services
- Drug discount program
- SilverSneakers fitness program
- Discount on Jenny Craig
- Discount on Lifeline medical alert (fall-detection and on-demand help)
- MyHumana app to review claims or find health information
- Meal delivery program after an overnight stay at a hospital or nursing facility
How much does a Humana Medicare Supplement plan cost?
The average cost for Humana Medicare Supplement Plan G (our recommendation for the best overall plan) is between $120 and $314 per month. For the cheapest coverage available to new enrollees, Plan K costs between $59 and $174 per month, on average.
Keep in mind that costs vary widely, and requesting a price quote is the best way to understand how much you would pay. Costs could be influenced by the following factors:
- Plan letter: Supplement plans have different levels of coverage and rates. Humana's Plan F costs more than twice as much as the cheapest Humana Supplement plan.
- Location: General pricing trends and state regulations can affect how much plans cost.
- Gender: Females usually pay less than males for Medicare plans.
- Age: In many states, your cost for a supplemental policy can increase as you age, and Humana Supplement plans usually increase 3% per year.
- Medical issues: In many states, there are pricing tiers based on medical conditions or other risk factors, and those who are healthy can get a discounted pricing tier.
Below you can see how much the plan type, age and gender all contribute to the monthly cost of Humana Supplement insurance.
When choosing a plan, it can be helpful to look at both the costs when you sign up and projected costs as you age. By requesting multiple price quotes, you can determine which company has the overall best pricing so that you can save money as you age.
In the sample cost comparison below, a 65-year-old in Dallas will pay about the same amount for Humana's Supplement Plan G as for a plan from AARP or BlueCross BlueShield. However, when we look at pricing for an 85-year-old, the costs change dramatically, and now Humana has one of the cheaper plans.
Humana also offers policy discounts:
- Save $2 per month for automatic payments
- Household discount for multiple policyholders
Customer reviews and complaints
A key reason why we didn't rate Humana higher is that the company has a high rate of complaints from policyholders.
According to the complaint index from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Humana has about 31% more complaints overall than a typical insurer of its size. This is calculated using a weighted average of complaint ratios across subsidiaries.
Humana's most common complaints relate to claim handling including denial of claims, unsatisfactory settlement and delays.
Humana has an average performance rating from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), scoring an average of 3.4 out of 5 for all subsidiaries where data is available.
Ratings on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) also reveal dissatisfaction and frustration. Even though Humana has an A+ rating from the organization, showing it actively tries to resolve issues, customers gave the company an average of 1.42 stars out of 5. Common complaints include poor customer service, frustrations about coverage and delays.
There are also mediocre ratings for the MyHumana app, which has a score of 3.1 out of 5 for iOS and 3.9 out of 5 for Android.
However, when it comes to Humana's ability to pay claims, it has an excellent financial rating, receiving an A- financial strength rating from AM Best with a stable outlook.
How options change after your initial enrollment period
The best time to sign up for a Medicare supplemental plan is during your initial enrollment period when you turn 65. Otherwise, your application will go through a different underwriting process.
Humana Medigap changes after initial enrollment:
- Higher monthly premiums: During your initial enrollment period, Humana offers preferred pricing. If you sign up after this, you're only eligible for standard pricing rates, which average about 15% higher in Texas.
- Coverage denials for preexisting conditions: If you sign up after the initial enrollment period, your application can be denied during Humana's underwriting process, and the company denies the application on the spot for conditions such as HIV, dementia, uncontrolled diabetes, heart disease and more.
After your initial enrollment period, you could qualify for guaranteed issue rights in certain circumstances such as when you move or if a plan is no longer available to you. Only four states have guaranteed issue rights during annual open enrollment or at other times during the year.
Alternatives to Humana Medigap
Our recommendations for the best Medicare Supplement companies include AARP/UnitedHealthcare for overall benefits, Aetna for select plan options and Cigna for cheap policies.
- Similar rate of customer complaints.
- Similar costs.
- Humana plans include SilverSneakers, Lifeline and drug discounts.
- AARP/UnitedHealthcare plans include benefits for dental, mental sharpness and driver safety.
Another option is to choose a Medicare Advantage plan that brings together multiple types of coverage into a single insurance policy. Medicare Advantage and Medigap have key structural differences for coverage, deductibles and the network of health care providers, and we recommend Humana as one of the best Medicare Advantage providers.
- The high rate of complaints is a company-wide problem.
- Humana Medicare Advantage has better-than-average customer satisfaction according to J.D. Power.
- Humana's Medicare Advantage plans are much more popular with nearly 5 million members, compared to the 330,000 members with Humana Medicare Supplement plans.
Frequently asked questions
Does Humana sell Medigap plans?
Yes, Humana offers all Medigap plans except for Plan D and Plan M. For best overall coverage, we recommend Plan G. The cheapest options are Plan K and a high-deductible Plan F. Humana's prescription drug plans (Medicare Part D) are sold separately.
Is Humana supplemental insurance good?
Humana Supplement plans are reasonably priced and have benefits for vision, hearing, fitness and more. With a range of plan options to choose from, you have the flexibility to select the level of coverage that works for your budget. However, the company does have a high rate of complaints.
Does Humana Medicare Supplement include SilverSneakers?
Yes, Humana Medicare Supplement plans include SilverSneakers Fitness for gym access and exercise classes, as well as a walking program through SilverSneakers Steps. Availability may vary by ZIP code, so check your policy details.
Do customers like Humana Medigap?
Humana has a slightly higher rate of complaints than is typical for an insurer of its size. However, its high rating from the Better Business Bureau shows that it actively works to resolve issues.
Sources and methodology
The above comparisons are based on Humana's Outline of Medicare Supplement Coverage, 2021 Sales Agent Field Guide, online marketing materials and financial reports, as well as 2021 price quotes requested from Humana, AARP/UnitedHealthcare, BlueCross BlueShield and Cigna.
Additional sources include the Better Business Bureau (BBB), the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), AM Best rating services, Google Play, the Apple App Store, Kaiser Family Foundation and J.D. Power.