Trupanion Pet Insurance Reviews
ValuePenguin likes Trupanion for its simple and unlimited pet insurance:
- Trupanion covers 90% of actual veterinary costs for approved claims. After meeting the deductible and subtracting the exam fee and sales taxes, the large majority of your pet’s health expenses from accidents, illnesses, diseases, diagnostic tests, hospitalizations, surgeries, and medications will be covered
- Almost all pet insurance plans will cap and specify a max benefit that they will pay out for your dog or cat’s medical expenses, but not Trupanion. You’ll get unlimited health care coverage for the duration of your policy and renewals. No incident, category, annual, or lifetime limits
- With the Additional Benefits package, you get a unique feature called third property damage, which covers any unintentional property damage your pet may cause
- The veterinarian’s exam fee portion of your total vet bill will not be covered
- Limitations apply to pets that have not been spayed or neutered by their first birthday (unless deemed medically necessary by your veterinarian)
- The flip side of having no upside cap on reimbursements to your pet’s coverage is more in monthly payments
Trupanion Pet Insurance Policy & Discounts
There is just one base plan that covers and pays out 90% of your pet’s veterinary expenses after a deductible is met, regardless of the extent of your costs. Furthermore, Trupanion's deductible is customizable, so you can tailor it to your budget and expected medical expenses from a range of zero to $1,000. Just keep in mind that how low or high your deductible is affects your monthly premium payout. As an example, for a mixed dog three-year old dog living in New York, NY, a pet insurance plan with no deductible was a little less than twice the amount for a mid-range deductible of $500.
|Plan Name||Annual Limit|
|Trupanion Pet Insurance||None|
Pet parents also have the option of adding on an optional features for Complementary Care (for hip dysplasia, feline kidney transplants, acupuncture, physical therapy, hydrotherapy, behavioral modification), and Additional Benefits (reward costs for a lost pet, third party property damage, boarding fees due to owner hospitalization, trip cancellation costs due to a pet’s sickness, and cremation or burial costs).
To be eligible for Trupanion's insurance plans, your pet has to be between the ages of 8 weeks and 14 years, and you must reside in continental North America or Puerto Rico. Accident coverage begins five days, and illness coverage begins 30 days after your policy enrollment date.
Trupanion Pet Insurance Plan Discounts & Promotions
There are no discounts for Trupanion as of press time. Their policy is to offer low premiums across the board instead of raising rates and granting discounts.
Compare pet insurance plans and quotes with ValuePenguin's tool. See the top three pet health plans for best overall value, most comprehensive coverage, and best budget-conscious accident plan. Read more articles and reviews of pet insurance, including an interview with Trupanion CEO Darryl Rawlings.
Trupanion is a pet insurance company that was founded by Darryl Rawlings in 1998 in Canada. It is headquartered in Seattle, WA, with policies underwritten by the American Pet Insurance Company.
Information, discounts, and reviews current as of May 2013