Auto Insurance Requirements in Oklahoma

Auto Insurance Requirements in Oklahoma

To ensure all parties in an auto accident are provided for, the Oklahoma Compulsory Insurance Law requires every motorist in the Sooner State to carry liability auto insurance in the amount of $25k/$50k/$25k.


Oklahoma required car insurance coverage

Required min. limits

Bodily Injury (BI)

$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident

Property Damage (PD)

$25,000 per accident

Find Insurers

Whenever you register a car with the Department of Public Safety (DPS), you will need to prove you have car insurance in Oklahoma. Valid proof provided by your insurer that contains the policy number, coverage amount, policy start and end dates, as well as your insured vehicle’s information, will suffice.

Examples of valid proof include a copy of your insurance ID card or the declaration page of your policy. Oklahoma DPS also uses the online Compulsory Insurance Verification System (OCIVS) to keep track of every registered motorist’s insurance status, so make sure your insurer files your information accurately.

Oklahoma car insurance minimum requirements

Your policy must at least include bodily injury and property damage liability coverage, each payable to other drivers or pedestrians in a covered accident. Liability is basically monetary compensation that you owe to the other party whenever you cause or are at fault in an incident. The Compulsory Insurance Law specifies that your minimum coverage amounts (limits) should be:

Bodily Injury (BI): up to $25,000 per person injured, and as much as $50,000 per accident in the event that there is more than one person is harmed in the other party. The total liability you may be responsible for includes medical expenses for both immediate and post-accident medical treatments. If you ever need a lawyer because the other driver decides to sue you, BI also pays for your lawyer’s fee. You have the option to purchase higher BI limits than what is required by the Oklahoma Compulsory Insurance Law, subject to what each insurer offers.

Property Damage (PD): up to $25,000 per accident when your crash causes harm to the other party’s properties — or even municipal property. Your liability for property damage may include the other driver’s car and other items that are broken while in the car during the accident. You also have the option to purchase higher PD limits in OK, which varies by insurer.

Cheapest companies in Oklahoma for minimum liability

Optional coverage in Oklahoma

You only need liability insurance to drive legally in the Sooner State. However, there are many other aspects of losses incurred during an accident that will not be covered under a minimum policy, or only covered under specific circumstances. For example, your own medical bills are not covered when you're negligent. Here are several optional coverages that you will find with most licensed insurers and also usually recommended by agents and government officials in OK:

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UMBI): you may see this coverage automatically included in your coverage in the same limits as your BI (for example, 25/50 in a minimum policy), as your insurers are obligated to offer it. Since it is not required, you can reject it in writing. UMBI covers your medical expenses and subsequent rehabilitative services (if needed) when an uninsured driver caused the accident that injured you. Think of this coverage as the other driver’s BI, which you would have been entitled to if he or she had any.

Medical Payments (MedPay): as its name suggests, MedPay reimburses or pays out your medical expenses for injuries from an accident, and it does so regardless of fault. While some motorists may find this redundant to their Oklahoma health insurance plan, MedPay also covers benefits not paid for by health insurance, such as your plan's deductible.

Physical Damage: comprising two coverages, collision and comprehensive, physical damage covers the costs to repair your car, regardless of fault. The coverage includes damage in car accidents, as well as random events such as heavy hail. The most your insurer will pay you for a given accident is the actual cash value of your car at the time of the accident. Note that there will always be a deductible amount attached to your physical damage insurance, which is the portion of costs you need to bear before the insurance kicks in.

Alternative proof of financial responsibility

Apart from a liability policy, there are several alternative methods to satisfy the Sooner State’s Compulsory Insurance Law. The DPS will accept your vehicle registration, in the event that you do not have proof of a car insurance policy, if you can provide a certificate (issued by the DPS) of insurance for one of these:

Certificate of Cash/Security Deposit: when you either deposit $75,000 in cash directly with the DPS or show a valid certificate of deposit of the same amount issued by an Oklahoma financial institution (for example, a bank), the DPS should give you a certificate of deposit as your proof of insurance. The department commissioner will use this deposit to pay down any future judgments or claims against you for an accident you cause, at least up to the same amount as an insurer would pay under a minimum liability policy in Oklahoma.

Certificate of Self-Insurance: under the circumstance that you have more than 25 cars registered in your name in Oklahoma, you may be qualified to become a self-insurer. Prove to the DPS that you have the financial ability to satisfy all payments arising out of accidents caused by any of your fleet of cars, and provide any documents the Commissioner requests. When the Commissioner is satisfied, you will receive a certificate to prove you have financial responsibility.

Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.