Auto Insurance Requirements in Nebraska

Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area

Currently insured?
It's free, simple and secure.

Nebraska's Financial Responsibility Law demands that all of its motorists carry liability auto insurance of at least 25/50/25 in coverage. The enforcement has proven successful, as Nebraska has a low estimated uninsured motorist percentage (9.3% in 2019).

Nebraska required car insurance coverage

Nebraska Required Car Insurance Coverage

NE Required Min. Limits

Bodily Injury (BI)

$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident

Property Damage (PD)

$25,000 per accident

Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury (UMBI)

$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
Find Insurers

Note that you must have your auto insurance policy in effect before you go to the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to register your car. You also must provide proof it exists to the official, and you can do so with the insurance ID card your insurer provided. Keep a copy of the ID card in your car too, because law enforcement officers have the power to ask you to show them if you are ever pulled over.

Nebraska car insurance minimum requirements

A minimum policy in the Cornhusker State will include two coverages: bodily injury and property damage. These two are collectively referred to as the liability car insurance portion of your auto insurance. These two types make sure that your insurer will pay on your behalf for other people's damages whenever you cause an accident within the state, up to a certain coverage amount (limits). Nebraska motorists must also carry uninsured motorists coverage. Here are your Nebraska minimum limits as required by the law:

Bodily Injury (BI): $25,000/person, $50,000/accident


  • Up to $25,000 per injured person
  • Up to $50,000 per accident for two or more injured persons


  • Your personal assets
  • Legal fees in the event that the other party sues you, only up to the stated limit amount
  • Learn more

Does not cover

  • Your own medical bills

Property Damage (PD): $25,000/accident


  • Up to $25,000 per accident


  • Everything from the other driver’s car
  • Other properties that are damaged in the accident (buildings, fences, etc)
  • Learn more

Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury (UMBI): $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident


  • $25,000 per person
  • $50,000 for accident


  • Your own medical bills
  • Your car's repair expenses
  • Learn more

Cheapest companies in Nebraska for minimum liability

Alternative proof of financial responsibility

Nebraska Financial Responsibility Laws make an insurance policy a requirement for all residents who plan to drive in the state. However, it does allow several alternatives to a policy, which, if approved and certified, can be used as your proof of insurance. Here are the alternatives:

Surety bond

Surety bond: This is issued by a licensed surety company, and conditioned for payment up to $75,000. File the bond with the DMV and use a copy as your proof of insurance. The main difference between a bond by a surety company and a policy by an insurer is that the surety company will ask you for the money it has paid in your place back.

Property bond: If you can find two friends who own real estate in Nebraska to be your guarantee, you may file a property bond with the DMV through your county court. They must understand that in case you fail to pay up to $75,000 per accident for any personal injuries or property damage you cause to the other party, they will become the next liable people in line. Their property must be listed as collateral in case the court does not receive a response to judgments against you in time. Use a copy of the court-approved property bond as your proof.

Certificate of deposit: The certificate is only issuable by the Nebraska State Treasurer after you deposit $75,000 in cash or securities like government bonds with him or her. The Treasurer will use your deposit toward any judgments for an accident you cause.

Property bond

Certificate of deposit

Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author's opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.