IMT Auto and Home Insurance Review
IMT Auto and Home Insurance Review
IMT Insurance boasts great rates for auto and home insurance, while also providing a superior customer service experience. Midwestern shoppers looking for inexpensive insurance policies and good service quality should strongly consider IMT.
Overview of IMT insurance
IMT Insurance offers affordable rates on auto and home insurance without compromising its customer service. If you live in the Midwest and value having a personal relationship with a smaller company, consider purchasing a policy from IMT.
Key take-away: For drivers with a clean record, IMT's auto insurance rates are among the best. Homeowners with property worth $175,000 or more should also consider IMT. The company's Gem homeowners policy includes additional, nonstandard coverages at no extra charge.
IMT Insurance is an Iowa-based insurance company that serves consumers across six states: Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Customer satisfaction with IMT is high, perhaps because the insurer sells policies to consumers via partnerships with independent insurance agents, who can offer policyholders a personalized experience tailored to their unique needs.
IMT's auto insurance policies are quite affordable and include non-standard coverages for which many other insurers make consumers pay extra. This makes them an excellent choice for cost-conscious consumers.
Another unique feature is IMT's Gem homeowners policy, which allows homeowners with property worth $175,000 or more to save by offering additional coverages for which other insurers often charge additional fees.
Consumers who want a user-friendly mobile experience may want to consider another insurer, however. IMT's mobile apps have garnered poor reviews from some users, as might be expected from a small regional insurer. If you need instant access to your insurer's services via mobile phone, IMT is not the best option.
IMT is also not the best option for drivers with an at-fault accident on their record. IMT's rates go up sharply after this type of claim. If you've had an at-fault accident or fear you may get into one, you'll want to consider another insurer to keep your rates down.
IMT auto insurance review
Find the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes in Your Area
IMT auto insurance rates
Because IMT offers competitive rates for both minimum-liability and full-coverage car insurance, it is an excellent choice for drivers with no record of at-fault accidents. Rates increase sharply after an at-fault accident, however, so consider other options if that describes you.
Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Our research pulled quotes for drivers in Iowa, as this state ranks among IMT's largest markets. Wadena, IMT's biggest Iowa subsidiary, offers the cheapest rates for minimum coverage, quoting our sample driver a rate of $224 per year or $19 a month. That's 37% cheaper than the state's $357 average annual cost and less expensive than other local and national competitors.
Full coverage, safe driver
Full coverage, 1 at-fault accident
IMT also offers competitive rates for drivers who want full-coverage insurance, which includes collision and comprehensive coverage. Although IMT's full-coverage policy is $150 more expensive than State Farm's, it is the second-cheapest in the state, beating out both Grinnell Mutual and a number of other major national insurers for affordable rates.
If you have an at-fault accident on your record or worry you may get into an at-fault accident, IMT may not be the best choice. Our sample driver's IMT auto insurance premium increased significantly after an at-fault accident. Grinnell Mutual is a solid option if you have one of these on your record, as the company did not increase premiums for our sample driver after an accident.
IMT auto insurance discounts
IMT offers a number of standard discounts to its auto insurance policyholders:
- Driver at-fault free: Drivers who have had a license and avoided an at-fault accident during the past three years get a discount.
- Driver conviction-free: Drivers without any driving-violation convictions get a discount.
- Accident prevention: Drivers over the age of 54 who have successfully taken an approved accident-prevention course during the past three years get a discount.
- Customer loyalty: Applicants who have held insurance with their prior insurer for more than two years and don't have at-fault accidents on their records during this time get a discount.
- Financial stability: Drivers with a strong credit history get a discount.
- Good student:. Students enrolled in high school, vocational school or college who are on the honor roll, in the top 20% of their class or have a GPA of at least a B get a discount.
- Multipolicy: IMT homeowners insurance policyholders get a discount on their auto insurance.
- Multi-car: Auto insurance policies that cover more than one vehicle get a discount.
- Paid-in-full: Policyholders who pay the entire cost of their premium upfront get a discount.
- Tenured driver: Policyholders who have insured their car with IMT for a significant amount of time get a discount.
However, discounts vary based on your driving record and state. If you decide to purchase an IMT auto insurance policy, ask which discounts are available to you based on your personal situation and location.
IMT auto insurance coverage
IMT distinguishes itself from other insurers by including additional coverages at no extra cost. Nonstandard coverages in an IMT auto insurance policy include:
|Rental reimbursement||Covers the policyholder when driving a rental car. Reimburses the rental company for damage and waives any relevant deductible in case of an accident.|
|Increased transportation expense||Covers the cost of a rental car when the policyholder's car is in the shop for covered repairs|
|Identity recovery||Includes $15,000 in identity theft insurance and assists victims in fixing their credit history and identity records|
|New car replacement||Covers the cost of a replacement car of the same make and model if a new car on the policy with less than 15,000 on it gets totaled|
|Lock replacement||Covers $250 for the replacement of locks and keys if a covered vehicle is stolen|
|Locked vehicle||Covers $100 for unlocking services if keys get locked in a covered vehicle|
|Pet injury||Covers $500 in vet bills if a pet gets harmed in a collision in a covered vehicle|
|Theft of clothing, luggage, camping gear and other sporting equipment||Covers $500 for clothes, luggage, camping gear and sporting equipment stolen along with a covered car|
|Glass repair||Covers the cost of glass repair and waives the deductible if the policyholder gets glass repaired rather than replaced|
|Guaranteed auto repairs||Guarantees repairs done on the car as long as the policyholder owns the vehicle and retains an insurance policy with the company|
The standard coverages in IMT auto insurance policies include:
- Liability insurance
- Medical payments
- Personal injury protection (PIP) or no-fault
- Physical damage (includes collision and other-than-collision, IMT's name for comprehensive coverage)
IMT home insurance review
Find Cheap Homeowners Insurance Quotes in Your Area
IMT home insurance rates
IMT offers some of the most competitive homeowners insurance rates in Iowa, one of its largest markets.
Find Cheap Homeowners Insurance Quotes in Your Area
|IMT Insurance Co.||$683|
|West Bend Mutual||$1,061|
The cost of an annual IMT homeowners insurance policy in Iowa is $683 per year — the lowest in the state and $738 cheaper than the state average of $1,421. The graphic above highlights the affordability of an IMT homeowners insurance policy in comparison to other insurers operating in the state.
IMT home insurance discounts
IMT offers a handful of discounts to home insurance policyholders depending on your state, including:
- Age of home/components: Policyholders with a newer home may get a discount.
- Claims-free: Policyholders who stay with IMT and remain claims-free may get a discount.
- Financial stability: Policyholders with a solid credit history may get a discount.
- Hail-resistant roof: Policyholders with a hail-resistant roof on their home may get a discount.
- Loyalty: Long-term home insurance policyholders may get a discount.
- Multipolicy: Homeowners insurance policyholders who also have another insurance policy with IMT may get a discount.
- Protective device: Policyholders with protective devices installed in their home may get a discount.
IMT home insurance coverages
IMT's homeowners insurance will pay to repair or rebuild a home after a covered loss. IMT offers several types of coverage, including:
|Additional living expenses||Covers the cost of living elsewhere if a covered peril renders your home uninhabitable|
|Dwelling, garage and other structures||Covers damage to structures apart from your actual home|
|Equipment breakdown||Covers mechanical breakdowns, electrical breakdowns, and power surges to your home or personal property|
|Legal fees||Covers legal fees and court costs resulting from covered liability losses that exceed the listed policy limits|
|Medical payments||Covers the medical bills of others who are injured on your property, no matter who was at fault in the incident|
|Personal property||Covers personal property anywhere in the world|
|Replacement cost||Covers 80% of replacement costs to your home and other insured structures|
|Scheduled personal property||Covers valuable pieces of personal property such as jewelry, artwork, musical instruments or other items|
|Underground service line||Covers loss or damage to the underground piping or wiring that connects a home with electrical power, natural gas, waste disposal, water, internet access and telecommunications|
|Water backup and sump overflow||Covers water damage resulting from either sewer or drain backup or sump pump overflow|
Indicates optional coverages
Highlighted feature: IMT's Gem homeowners policy
In addition to these coverages, IMT also offers the Gem homeowners policy, a unique product that offers low-cost or free features that other insurers charge for. IMT's Gem homeowners is available to individuals who own a home with a replacement value of $175,000 or more.
The features that come with the Gem homeowners policy include:
- Account deductible: Reduces costs for individuals with multiple personal insurance policies with IMT. When a loss involves more than one insurance policy, policyholders must pay whichever of their deductibles is the highest and IMT will waive the others.
- Arson reward: Pays up $1,000 for information that results in the conviction of perpetrators who committed arson to your property.
- Disappearing deductible: Waives the deductible when a covered property loss is greater than $20,000, provided that loss is not caused by wind or hail.
- Extended replacement cost: Pays 25% more than the policy limit for material costs and repair to covered property in the wake of a natural disaster.
- Fire department service charge: Pays up to $1,500 if you must call the fire department to save or protect covered property.
- Lock and garage door transmitter replacement: Pays up to $1,000 to replace home locks or garage door transmitters in the event of a covered theft loss, after the policyholder pays a $25 deductible.
- Personal injury coverage: Provides protection in the event of accidental libel, slander, wrongful entry or invasion of privacy.
- Pet injury: Pays up to $500 if a dog or cat is injured because of a covered loss.
- Various increased special limits of coverage: Increases coverage limits for money from $200 to $1,000; increases coverage limits for securities from $1,500 to $5,000; and increases the coverage for business property on residential premises from $2,500 to $10,000.
Other IMT insurance policies
In addition to its homeowners and auto insurance, IMT offers several other different kinds of insurance. These include:
- Renters insurance
- Motor home and camper insurance
- Boat owners insurance
- Condo and co-op unit insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Power sports insurance
- Inland marine insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Farm insurance
Find Cheap Renters Insurance Quotes in Your Area
IMT offers renters insurance to protect tenants from legal liability and damage to their personal items. Renters are insured against listed perils.
An IMT renters insurance policy covers:
- Guest medical expenses: Covers medical bills if any visitors to a rented home sustain injuries.
- Additional living expenses: Pays your living expenses if your rented home is rendered uninhabitable after a covered event.
- Liability: Pays for legal representation and protection against judgments if someone is injured at your rented home or elsewhere as the result of a covered event.
Additionally, if your personal property is damaged in a covered event, IMT will cover the costs of repairing or replacing the property. Those perils include:
- Fire or lightning damage
- Windstorm or hail damage
- Damage caused by aircrafts or vehicles
- Smoke damage
- Vandalism or malicious mischief
- Weight of ice, snow or sleet
- Discharge or overflow of water or steam from plumbing, air conditioning, heating or a household appliance
- Freezing of plumbing, heating, air conditioning, a household appliance or an automatic fire protective sprinkler system
IMT offers a small number of discounts for renters insurance. These include:
- Financial stability
- Protective devices installed in your rental, such as a sprinkler system
- Multipolicy if you have an auto policy with IMT
Other insurers offer more robust discount options. If you do not already have a personal auto insurance policy from IMT Insurance, another company may be able to offer you better discounts on your renters insurance.
Motor home and camper insurance
IMT automatically places covered campers, recreational trailers and motor homes into its personal auto program. The company uses a multitier rating system to assess these vehicles, allowing the company to offer competitive pricing.
Available coverages for motor homes and campers include:
- Air bag
- Glass repair
- Guaranteed auto repairs
- Identity recovery
- Lock replacement
- Locked vehicle
- New car replacement
- Pet injury
- Theft of clothing, luggage, camping gear and other sporting goods
Discounts on motor home and camper policies include:
- Accident-prevention course
- Customer loyalty
- Financial stability
- Good student
- GPS tracking
- Model less than five years old
- Paid in full
- Supporting homeowners policy
Boat owners insurance
IMT offers boat owners insurance for different kinds of recreational boats, ranging from ski boats and pontoons to sailboats and catamarans. The company offers a number of enhanced and optional coverages to boat owners, which include:
- Emergency services: Pays up to $50 when you need to tow a disabled boat.
- Medical payments: Pays medical expenses if the boat owner or passengers sustain injuries while riding in the boat, water skiing or riding on an inflatable behind your boat. An optional coverage.
- Miscellaneous property: Pays up to $1,500 for boating accessories, detachable boating equipment, a variety of personal property belonging to the boat owner or a guest.
- Total-loss replacement: Covers a replacement boat of the same make and model if a boat made within the last five years is totaled in a covered loss. An optional coverage.
- Uninsured/underinsured boaters: Covers the costs of injuries sustained by the boat owner and passenger in the event of an encounter with an uninsured or underinsured boat.
Some boat owners can reduce the cost of their insurance through a number of discounts:
- Boater safety course completion
- Using diesel fuel
- Financial stability
- Years of boating experience
- Multipolicy if you have an auto, homeowners or umbrella policy with IMT
Access to these discounts varies with each policyholder and state. Ask your IMT insurance agent if you qualify.
IMT customer reviews and satisfaction
IMT Insurance has a strong reputation for excellent customer service and financial strength, but consumers looking for a seamless mobile experience might want to consider other options.
|A.M. Best Financial Strength Rating||Excellent||Excellent|
IMT's low scores from The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) indicate a low volume of complaints — a sign that it's providing exceptional service to its customers. NAIC ranks companies based on the volume of consumer complaints they receive. A score of 1.0 indicates that an insurer receives an average number of complaints for a company of its size; a score lower than 1.0 indicates a lower-than-average number of complaints; and a score above 1.0 indicates a higher-than-average number of complaints.
IMT also received high ratings from A.M. Best, an organization that assesses the financial strength of insurance companies based on their ability to meet their claims obligations. A.M. Best's rankings range from D to A++, with a "D" corresponding to a "poor" ability to meet insurance obligations and an "A" corresponding to a "superior" ability to meet insurance obligations. IMT Insurance has received an "A" from A.M. Best every year since 2015, demonstrating a solid track record and an "excellent" ability to meet its insurance obligations.
If you are a consumer who values a user-friendly mobile experience, however, IMT is not the best choice. IMT's mobile application did not receive high ratings from iOS users, earning a 1.7 out of 5 in the App Store. Android users liked the app better, giving it a 3.9 out of 5 in Google Play. Consumers who want to access their policy or file a claim via mobile phone would do better to look at other insurers.
Although IMT Insurance operates across six states, our sample quotes reflect premium costs in Iowa, where the company's headquarters are located.
Our auto insurance quotes reflect the premium prices quoted to a 30-year-old man with a below-average credit score. He drives a 2015 Honda Civic EX and has the following limits on his auto insurance policy:
|Bodily liability||$50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident|
|Property damage||$25,000 per accident|
|Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury||$50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident|
|Comprehensive and collision||$500 deductible|
Our homeowners insurance quotes reflect the premium prices quoted for a property built in 1968 that is worth $149,100 — the median price of an owner-occupied house in Iowa.
ValuePenguin's analysis used insurance rate data from Quadrant Information Services. These rates were publicly sourced from insurer filings and should be used for comparative purposes only — your own quotes may be different.
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.