Auto Insurance Requirements in Wyoming

Auto Insurance Requirements in Wyoming

Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area

Currently insured?

All drivers in Wyoming must show proof of financial responsibility before hitting the road. While auto insurance is the easiest way to show that proof, drivers may also choose an alternative form of coverage to meet the state's requirements.

A basic auto insurance policy in Wyoming carries $25,000 for bodily injury per person, $50,000 for bodily injury per accident and $20,000 for property damage.

Wyoming car insurance requirements

If you choose to buy car insurance in Wyoming to meet the financial responsibility requirements, the policy must have bodily injury liability coverage, property damage liability coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorists bodily injury coverage. Coverage must meet or exceed the following limits:

Wyoming required car insurance coverage

WY required min. limits

Bodily injury (BI)

$25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident

Property damage (PD)

$20,000 per accident

Bodily injury (BI): This type of coverage pays the other party's medical bills if you cause a car accident. Your BI coverage can also pay for the injured party's lost wages and the cost of any legal fees or judgements against you, up to your policy's limits.

BI limits in Wyoming start at $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident, although some drivers choose to raise those limits up to $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident.

Property damage (PD): PD coverage pays for the cost to repair any property following an accident you caused, such as a fence or another person's car.

PD limits start at $20,000, but most Wyoming drivers choose to increase those limits to $100,000.

In Wyoming, police officers are required to ask for proof of insurance if they pull you over for a traffic stop. You can show you're financially responsible with a certificate or an ID card issued by your auto insurer. Electronic proof of insurance will not be accepted by police officers, but an electronic form of an SR-22 certificate (if you're required to carry it) will be accepted.

Optional car insurance coverage in Wyoming

Wyoming drivers can further protect their assets by adding coverage beyond the minimum required liability types. You can reject these optional coverages in writing, but most drivers feel safer with extra protection.

Uninsured / underinsured motorists bodily injury: UMBI/UIMBI coverage pays for your expenses if you're hit by a driver who has no insurance or doesn't have enough to cover your bills.

UMBI/UIMBI coverage limits start at $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident, and most Wyoming drivers tend to stick with the basic limits.

Physical damage: This is made up of collision and comprehensive coverage and comes with a deductible. Collision coverage pays for repairs if your car is damaged in a crash, regardless of liability, while comprehensive coverage pays for damage that results from any other kind of incident.

Most Wyoming drivers go with a deductible of $500 for collision coverage and a deductible of $100 for comprehensive coverage.

Medical payments coverage (MedPay): MedPay coverage pays for any medical and funeral expenses resulting from an auto accident, regardless of fault. Expenses may include doctor visits, hospital visits, EMT and ambulance fees, and more.

It is common for Wyoming drivers to purchase MedPay coverage with a $5,000 limit.

Alternative proof of financial responsibility

If you do not want to buy auto insurance, you can choose one of the following alternatives to comply with Wyoming's financial responsibility law:

  • Deposit of money or securities: You can deposit $25,000 with the Wyoming treasurer in the form of money or securities as an alternative proof of financial responsibility.
  • Surety bond: A surety bond states that a surety company will cover all costs and claims against you in the case of an auto accident, as long as you eventually reimburse the surety company after the fact.
  • Self-insurance: You may qualify to be a self-insurer if you have more than 25 vehicles registered in your name. To receive a certificate for self-insurance, you must file cash, securities or a surety bond in the amount of $200,000 plus $100 for each car in excess of the 25 vehicles you are covering.

Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.