Auto Insurance Requirements in Connecticut

Auto Insurance Requirements in Connecticut

Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area

Currently insured?

Connecticut's Financial Responsibility Law requires that every driver carry liability insurance in the minimum limits of 25/50/25, and uninsured motorist insurance of 25/50. The law was implemented so that motorists and pedestrians are protected from potential damage incurred in auto accidents.

Bring your insurance ID card with you when you are on the road in the Constitution State, as law enforcement personnel can require you to show you have valid insurance coverage. Your insurance status will also be verified when you register your car with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The application for registration includes a section in which you must provide your insurer’s name as well as your policy number.

Connecticut Required Car Insurance Coverage

CT Required Min. Limits

Bodily Injury (BI)

$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident

Property Damage (PD)

$25,000 per accident

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UM/UIMBI)

$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident

Connecticut car insurance minimum requirements

A valid Connecticut insurance policy, at a minimum, must contain bodily injury, property damage and uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. The first two coverages are often collectively referred to as liability insurance. When you carry the minimum policy, it will have the following effect and coverage amounts (limits):

Bodily Injury (BI): in Connecticut, if you accidentally cause a car crash and end up injuring someone who is not sitting in your car, your BI would cover any medical bills that the other injured parties may need — up to $25,000 per person. The coverage is limited to $50,000 in total if you hurt more than one person in the accident. You may want to buy higher limits to cover your assets; anything beyond your insurer's limits will be your responsibility. Higher limits are is subject to each insurer’s availability.

Property Damage (PD): up to $25,000 per accident for any costs related to damage you cause to the other party’s properties. This would cover expenses like replacing the other driver’s car’s auto body parts, or even reimbursing him for a broken audio system in his car. You should consider buying a higher coverage amount if you want more protection.

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UM/UIMBI): as of 2012, 8% of the total auto insurance claims were made for uninsured motorist cases in the Constitution State. To combat this, UM/UIMBI will pay you in case the at-fault drive is uninsured, and therefore missing the means to cover your medical expenses. In Connecticut, with this coverage you will be protected in these situations:

  • Accidents caused by uninsured drivers, who do not carry liability auto insurance approved by the DMV.
  • Accidents caused by underinsured drivers, whose BI limits are lower than your UM/UIMBI limits — in this case, your UM/UIMBI will cover you up to the difference between the two limits.
  • Any hit-and-run accidents, in which the negligent driver is unidentifiable. In this case, the accident will be treated as if the at-fault driver is uninsured.

Note that in October 2015, drivers who have been convicted of a DUI will be subject to different minimum liability requirements.

Alternative proof of financial responsibility

Connecticut’s DMV will accept several alternatives to an auto insurance policy when you try to register your car. If you fulfill one of the following requirements, the Commissioner of Motor Vehicle will consider you properly insured:

Surety Bond: file with the DMV a copy of a surety bond that is issued by a licensed surety company. The Commissioner will accept the bond as proof provided that it is good for payment towards judgments against you, in at least the same amount as a minimum policy (25/50/25 for liability, and 25/50 in case of an uninsured driver). The surety company will pay in your place if you can't satisfy the judgments, but will recover the money back later from you.

Real Estate Bond: another kind of surety bond you may use to satisfy the law is one signed by another individual who owns real estate in Connecticut. Specifically, he or she must list one of their pieces of real estate on the bond as collateral to the government, as well as anyone who you cause harm to in the future. The bond must be filed with the town clerk’s office where the listed real estate is located. In case you can't pay your financial responsibility, the signed individual will bear it for you, or the listed real estate will be used to pay out your liability.

Self-Insurance: you may apply to become a self-insurer with the DMV if you can fulfill all of the requirements listed below. By becoming a self-insurer, you are voluntarily choosing to be wholly responsible for any damage caused by your covered vehicle(s). Here are the requirements you need to satisfy:

  • Show evidence that you do and will continue to have the financial ability for all of your obligations required in Connecticut, or judgments ruled by a court.
  • Show evidence that you have planned some means for claims regarding loss caused by your insured vehicles.
  • Provide any deposit that the Commissioner may require.

Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.