Renters insurance isn't expensive, but it can save you thousands of dollars if your home is ever damaged by a covered peril. We collected renters insurance quotes from some of the top companies in Utah to find the best, most affordable options for renters.
Compare Renters Insurance Quotes from Providers in Utah
The best price we found for renters insurance in Utah is $10 per month, but we don't recommend buying just based on price. Good customer service and a variety of coverage options are worth your consideration, too.
Best renters insurance for most people: Nationwide
- Affordable rates
- Plentiful coverage options
- Customer service reviews could be better
We recommend Nationwide for most renters insurance customers in Utah, as it has the best overall combination of affordable prices, plentiful coverage options, and good customer service.
We found that Nationwide has an average rate of just $10 per month, and it was tied for the lowest in the state. However, the price of renters insurance in Utah is consistently affordable — the most expensive insurer was only $13 per month.
What sets Nationwide apart is its range of appealing coverage options. While other companies offer identity theft, replacement cost, or valuable items coverage, Nationwide is the only one we found that has all three. And no other company we considered offered water backup coverage.
Nationwide's customer service is good but not perfect. It received a Complaint Index of 0.38 from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, meaning it received 38% as many complaints as a typical company. However, J.D. Power didn't like it as much, rating it 2/5 for overall customer satisfaction.
If customer service is more important to you than having a lot of extra coverage options, we recommend State Farm instead.
Great prices, fewer coverage options: State Farm
- Great prices
- Dependable customer service
- Fewer coverage options than our top pick
For renters who are focused on a great customer service experience over coverage options, we recommend State Farm. At $10 per month, it's tied for the lowest rates in Utah but has better customer service reviews than our top pick.
State Farm has a Complaint Index of 0.38 from the NAIC, meaning it received 38% as many complaints as a typical company — the same as Nationwide, our top pick. However, State Farm received a much higher rating from J.D. Power, getting a 5/5 score in its renters insurance satisfaction survey.
We're consistently impressed with State Farm's online experience, too. It's easy to get a quote, buy a policy and manage your coverage from a computer or smartphone.
The only downside to State Farm is it lacks a few key coverage options renters might want. For example, you can't get replacement cost coverage, identity theft protection or water backup. If you're looking for a robust package of coverage options, you're better off with our main pick.
Best for low coverage limits: Farmers
- Low coverage limits
- Prices for standard coverage are higher than our top picks
- Lackluster customer service and coverage options
For renters who don't have a lot of personal property and want a small coverage limit to match, we recommend Farmers. It has the lowest possible coverage limit we found among renters insurance companies in Utah.
A typical renters insurance policy covers between $10,000 and $30,000 worth of property. However, if you don't own that much stuff, you're paying for coverage that won't actually help you. So one way to minimize the amount you spend on renters insurance is to lower your coverage limits.
Farmers offers renters insurance policies with limits as low as $4,000 — and that means your rates will be low, too.
We don't recommend Farmers for other situations, though. For the sample policy we used, its average rate was higher than our top choices, and it doesn't have very strong customer service or coverage options, either.
How we chose the best renters insurance companies in Utah
To find the best renters insurance company in Utah, we considered three main factors: affordability, coverage options and customer service.
- Affordability: Does the insurer offer coverage for a reasonable price compared to other companies?
- Coverage options: Does the insurer have a good selection of coverage options available?
- Customer service: Are customers generally happy with the service they receive?
Affordability: Finding cheap renters insurance in Utah
The average price we found for renters insurance in Utah was $12 per month, and all of the insurance companies we looked at were very close to that. In fact, the cheapest insurer we found, State Farm, was only $3 per month less than the most expensive, Liberty Mutual.
|Insurer||Average cost||% difference from average|
Our selected levels of coverage were:
- Personal property coverage: $30,000
- Liability coverage: $100,000
- Medical payments coverage: $1,000
- Deductible: $500
- Loss of use: $0
Coverage options: Comparing renters insurance policies and benefits
Every renter has different coverage needs from their renters insurance. As a result, we looked for insurance companies that have the best range of useful renters insurance coverages. Here are a few coverage options we think are particularly valuable:
- Replacement cost coverage: Pays for the full cost to replace a destroyed or stolen item, without factoring in depreciation.
- Valuables coverage: Boosts coverage for expensive items like jewelry or high-end electronics, which aren't always fully covered by a standard renters insurance policy.
- Water backup coverage: Pays for damage to your property due to water backup.
In addition, all the insurance companies we considered offered the following basic coverages. If you're looking at a renters insurance company that lacks any of these, consider that a red flag and look into another option.
- Personal property coverage: Pays to repair or replace your property if it's damaged, stolen or destroyed by a covered peril.
- Additional living expenses: Pays for a hotel or other temporary living arrangement if your home is uninhabitable (such as due to a fire).
- Liability coverage: Pays for financial damages to others that you're responsible for, such as if a guest is injured by your dog.
- Medical payments coverage: Pays for the cost of medical treatment for injuries that guests receive while on your property, regardless of who is at fault. Pays out before liability coverage goes into effect.
Customer service: Evaluating insurer quality in service and claims
Strong customer service is essential in an insurance company. It's especially important when you're making a claim, as it can make the process of getting the money you need to replace your property quick and easy, or long and stressful.
To evalue renters insurance customer service, we considered three main factors: The National Association of Insurance Commissioners' Complaint Index, J.D. Power's renters insurance satisfaction survey, and AM Best's Financial Strength Rating.
|Insurer||NAIC complaint index||J.D. Power rating||AM Best FSR|
- NAIC Complaint Index: This score compares the number of complaints an insurance company receives with its size. A lower score means the company has fewer complaints and suggests that it has better customer service. The national average score is 1.00.
- J.D. Power rankings: This score is based on a national survey of renters, asking how satisfied they are with their renters insurance. Scores are out of 1,000, and the national average is 831.
- AM Best Financial Strength Rating: This letter grade describes the overall financial health of an insurance company. Grades range from A++ to D, and a better grade means a company has a better ability to pay out claims, even in times of high claim demand or negative economic climate.
Utah renters insurance: Costs by city
Renters insurance prices can change depending on where you live. Places with very low theft rates might see lower prices than average, while areas that are susceptible to wildfire might see more. We've compiled a list of typical renters insurance prices for major cities in Utah below.
|City||Average||% difference from average|
|Salt Lake City||$12||-1%|
|West Valley City||$12||6%|
|South Salt Lake||$12||0%|
Renters insurance costs also vary across the country. To see how the cost of coverage changes depending on what state you live in, look at our national study of renters insurance costs.
We collected renters insurance quotes for a sample profile in 25 major Utah cities from five top insurers: Allstate, Farmers, Liberty Mutual, Nationwide and State Farm. In all cases, our sample renter profile is a 30-year-old male who lives alone. He's protected himself with $30,000 of personal property coverage with a $500 deductible, plus $500,000 of liability protection.