Renters insurance costs only a few dollars per month in Iowa, but having it will save you thousands of dollars if you ever experience a loss. We researched the top renters insurance companies in Iowa to find the best options for a variety of renters.
Compare Renters Insurance Quotes from Providers in Iowa
The best rate for renters insurance in Iowa is just $10 per month. Read on for our most affordable pick, plus alternative options if you need them.
Best renters insurance for most people: Nationwide
- Lowest prices in Iowa
- Plentiful coverage options
- Customer service is good but not perfect
We recommend Nationwide as the best renters insurance company for most in Iowa. It had the lowest statewide rates and offered more options than its competitors did.
At a typical monthly price of just $10 per month, renters insurance prices at Nationwide are very affordable — 38% less than the state average, and nearly three times less than the most expensive company we looked at.
We were also impressed with Nationwide's coverage options. In addition to typical options such as valuable items and identity theft, it also offered replacement-cost coverage and water-backup protection. No other company we checked offered these.
The only minor drawback to Nationwide is that its customer service wasn't the absolute best. Its Complaint Index rating from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) was 0.38, meaning it received 38% as many complaints as a typical company its size. That's good, but State Farm did a little better — it got a 0.35. Additionally, Nationwide received a 2/5 in J.D. Power's customer service satisfaction survey. If you don't need a lot of extra coverages and want the best service experience possible, we recommend State Farm.
Best customer service: State Farm
- Second-best prices in Iowa
- Well-liked customer service
- Fewer coverage options than our top pick
For renters who prize a strong customer service experience, we recommend State Farm. It had the absolute best customer service ratings of any company we looked at and costs just $1 more per month than our main pick.
State Farm's average price for renters insurance in Iowa is $11 per month. That's the second-cheapest we found and 35% cheaper than the typical price across all insurers.
We were very impressed with State Farm's customer service ratings. It has a 0.35 Complaint Index from the NAIC, which is the lowest score we found. It also has a perfect 5/5 rating in J.D. Power's national renters insurance survey. These scores suggest you'll likely be satisfied with your service at State Farm.
The main thing keeping State Farm from being our top pick is its limited coverage options. While it does offer a few extras like valuable-items coverage and extended liability, it's lacking in some other key areas, such as replacement-cost coverage.
Affordable prices for seniors: Allstate
- Affordable rates
- Discount available for seniors
- Mediocre coverage and service
If you're retired and our two top picks aren't right for you, we recommend Allstate: It had the third-lowest price among all the insurers we looked at. Allstate also offers a discount for retirees over 55, possibly allowing you to save even more. At $12 per month, Allstate is 26% cheaper than the average rate in Iowa but still more expensive than our top two picks.
However, people who highly value customer service may want to look elsewhere. Allstate's NAIC Complaint Index was 0.51, which is barely better than the national average. The company's J.D. Power rating of 2/5 also fell short compared to some of the other options we saw.
Allstate's optional coverages aren't very impressive, either. The only ways to boost your coverage beyond the basics are identity theft protection and extended liability. While these options may appeal to some, they're commonly available at other insurers and don't set Allstate apart.
How we chose the best renters insurance companies in Iowa
To evaluate renters insurance companies in Iowa, we considered three main factors: affordability, coverage options and customer service.
- Affordability: Are prices from the company affordable, especially when compared to other insurers in the same area?
- Coverage options: Does the company offer a range of useful optional coverages?
- Customer service: Are customers generally satisfied with the service they receive from their insurer?
Affordability: Finding cheap renters insurance in Iowa
We found a substantial range in prices for renters insurance in Iowa. While the average price was $17 per month, the cheapest option, Nationwide, was nearly three times cheaper than the most expensive, Liberty Mutual. Switching to Nationwide from Liberty Mutual would save you $183 per year.
See our full comparison of the cheapest options for renters insurance in Iowa below.
|Insurer||Average cost||% difference from average|
Our selected levels of coverage were:
- Personal property coverage: $30,000
- Liability coverage: $100,000
- Medical payments coverage: $1,000
- Deductible: $500
- Loss of use: $0
Coverage options: Comparing renters insurance policies and benefits
Everyone has their own set of coverage needs, so it's not possible for one policy to fit every renter. As such, we looked for renters insurance companies that offer a broad range of useful coverage options.
Key coverage options to look for include:
- Replacement cost coverage: Pays for the full cost to replace a destroyed or stolen item, without factoring in depreciation.
- Valuable items coverage: Covers expensive items like jewelry or musical instruments, which often have limited coverage under a standard policy.
- Identity theft coverage: Pays for costs associated with identity theft, such as legal fees or lost wages for time spent.
In addition, all the renters insurance companies we looked at offered the following basic coverages. If you find an insurer that doesn't offer all of these, consider that a red flag and go with another company.
- Personal property coverage: Pays to repair or replace property that's been stolen or damaged due to a covered peril.
- Additional living expenses: Pays for a hotel or other temporary housing if your home is uninhabitable due to a covered peril.
- Liability coverage: Pays for monetary damages to others you're responsible for, such as if your dog injures someone.
- Medical payments coverage: Pays for medical care of others while they're at your home, regardless of who is at fault. Goes into effect before liability coverage.
Customer service: Evaluating insurer quality in service and claims
Finding strong customer service is an essential part of picking the right renters insurance company. Good customer service will ensure your questions are answered when buying a policy or filing a claim and that reimbursement is prompt.
We evaluated the customer service of Iowa renters insurance companies using three main factors: the NAIC Complaint Index, J.D. Power's rating, and A.M. Best's Financial Strength Rating.
|Insurer||NAIC Complaint Index||J.D. Power rating||A.M. Best FSR|
- NAIC Complaint Index: This index compares the number of complaints an insurer has received with its size. A lower number indicates fewer complaints and suggests customers are satisfied with the service. The national average score is 1.00.
- J.D. Power rating: This score is based on a national survey that gauges policyholders' satisfaction with renters insurance companies. Scores are out of 5.
- A.M. Best FSR: This letter grade is based on the overall financial health of a company. Grades range from A++ to D, and a higher grade indicates a better ability to pay out claims, even during times of high demand, such as after a natural disaster or during an economic downturn.
Iowa renters insurance: Costs by city
Renters insurance costs were fairly consistent across the state of Iowa. While the price can vary, based on factors such as the crime rate and risk of natural disasters, we found a relatively small difference in prices across Iowa cities.
See our full breakdown of Iowa renters insurance prices below.
|City||Monthly cost||% difference from average|
|West Des Moines||$16||-3.2%|
Renters insurance prices also vary by state. To see how Iowa compares with other states in the country, see our national study of renters insurance costs.
To find the best renters insurance in Iowa, we collected insurance quotes from five of the top companies for 25 major cities across the state. For all quotes, our sample profile is a 30-year-old male who lives by himself and has not made any recent renters insurance claims. He's protected himself with $30,000 of personal property coverage with a $500 deductible, plus $500,000 of liability protection.