Renters insurance is not very expensive, but it can save you thousands if you ever experience a loss. We collected quotes and evaluated renters insurance providers across the state of Oklahoma to find the best options available.
Compare Cheap Renters Insurance in Oklahoma
The best price for renters insurance coverage is just $19 per month. Read on for our top affordable pick, plus alternative options.
Best for most renters
Runner-up for affordable basic coverage
Runner-up for customer service
Best renters insurance for most people: State Farm
- Very affordable prices
- Dependable service
- Coverage options are only OK (but no worse than any other insurer)
We recommend State Farm as the best renters insurance company for most people in Oklahoma. It had standout rates, as well as customer service and coverage options that were as good as or better than any other company we looked at.
State Farm's average price for renters insurance in Oklahoma was just $19 per month. That's 35% less than the average statewide, and $10 less per month than the next-cheapest option.
Customer service from State Farm was just as strong. It has an impressively low complaint index from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners of just 0.38. That means that State Farm received only 38% as many complaints as a typical insurer of its size and suggests customers tend to be happy with the service they receive.
State Farm's biggest shortcoming is that it has an OK, but not great, range of optional coverages. It has valuable items coverage but not replacement cost, for example. However, no other major insurer we looked at in Oklahoma had impressive coverage options, either.
Runner-up for affordable basic coverage: Liberty
- Second-cheapest rates we found
- Low minimum coverage limits
- Replacement cost coverage
- Mediocre service and coverage options
For renters looking for an affordable option who can't get an affordable price from State Farm, we recommend Liberty Mutual. At an average rate of $29 per month, it had the second-cheapest prices among the companies we considered.
Additionally, Liberty Mutual has lower minimum coverage limits than State Farm. If you don't own much property, you can save money on your monthly premium by lowering your coverage limits — as low as $5,000. However, don't recommend lowering your limits below the amount you need to be fully insured: The few dollars you'll save per month aren't worth the potential downside.
We weren't impressed with Liberty Mutual's customer service or coverage options. Its NAIC complaint index of 0.70 was much higher than State Farm's, and its coverage options were merely adequate. It does offer replacement cost coverage, though — that sets it apart from State Farm.
Runner-up for customer service: Allstate
- Good (not great) customer service
- High prices
- Lackluster coverage options
For renters focused on customer service who aren't satisfied with State Farm, we recommend Allstate. It had the second-best customer service among the companies we looked at.
Rates from Allstate were on the high side: at an average price of $32 per month across the state, that's 7% more than the average overall and $13 more than our top choice.
Allstate's customer service was good, though not exceptional. Its complaint index from the NAIC was 0.51. That means that it has 51% as many complaints as a typical insurer of its size. Allstate also received a rating of 814 in J.D. Power's renters insurance satisfaction survey — which is worse than the national average of 831.
Optional coverages from Allstate are very meager. It only has two ways to boost your coverage from the basics: identity theft and extended liability. Renters looking for other choices should consider other companies.
How we chose the best renters insurance companies in Oklahoma
To find the best renters insurance companies in Oklahoma, we considered three main criteria: affordability, coverage options and customer service.
- Affordability: Are the company's rates affordable compared to other insurers?
- Coverage options: Does the company offer useful optional coverages?
- Customer service: Are customers generally satisfied with the service they receive?
Affordability: Finding cheap renters insurance in Oklahoma
With a statewide average of $30 per month, renters insurance is fairly affordable, but some insurers are cheaper than others. The cheapest company we found, State Farm, had a statewide average price of just $19 per month. That's 36% cheaper than average.
See below for our full breakdown of renters insurance costs in Oklahoma.
% difference from average
Our selected levels of coverage were:
- Personal property coverage: $30,000
- Liability coverage: $100,000
- Medical payments coverage: $1,000
- Deductible: $500
- Loss of use: $0
Coverage options: Comparing renters insurance policies and benefits
No two renters have the exact same coverage needs. So when evaluating insurers, we look for companies that offer a wide range of useful coverages that will help you protect yourself financially.
Key coverages to look for from your renters insurance provider in Oklahoma include:
- Replacement cost coverage: Pays for the full cost to replace a destroyed or stolen item, without factoring in depreciation.
- Valuable items coverage: Extends your coverage of valuable items like jewelry or high-end electronics, which can have limited protection under a standard policy.
- Identity theft protection: Pays for any costs associated with having your identity stolen, such as identity monitoring services, attorney fees, or lost wages.
Additionally, every insurer we looked at offered all of the following standard coverages. If you're considering an insurer that doesn't have all of these available, we recommend looking at other options.
- Personal property coverage: Pays for the cost to repair or replace items that are stolen or damaged by a covered peril.
- Additional living expenses: Pays for a hotel or other temporary lodging if your home is uninhabitable due to a covered peril.
- Liability coverage: Pays for financial damages to others that you are responsible for, such as if a guest is injured by your dog.
- Medical payments coverage: Pays for medical care of guests while on your property, regardless of who is at fault. Pays out before liability coverage goes into effect.
Customer service: Evaluating insurer quality in service and claims
Choosing a renters insurance company with dependable customer service is essential: Good service will mean you're able to get answers when you need them, and receive your claim payout promptly after you've filed it.
To evaluate the customer service of renters insurance companies, we considered three key factors: the National Association of Insurance Commissioners Complaint Index, the J.D. Power renters insurance consumer satisfaction survey, and AM Best's Financial Strength Rating.
NAIC Complaint Index
J.D. Power rating
AM Best FSR
- NAIC complaint index: This score compares the number of complaints an insurer has received with its size. A lower score indicates fewer complaints and suggests that customers are more likely to be happy with the service they receive. The national average score is 1.00.
- J.D. Power ratings: This rating is based on a national survey of renters insurance customers asking how satisfied they are with their renters insurance company. Scores are out of 1,000, and the national average is 831.
- AM Best FSR: This letter grade describes the overall financial health of an insurer. Grades range from A++ to D, and a better grade means that the insurer has a better financial ability to pay out claims — even in times of high claim demand or negative economic climate.
Oklahoma renters insurance: Costs by city
Where you live has a significant impact on the cost of renters insurance. People who live in cities with low crime rates might have cheaper rates; people who live in areas at high risk of a natural disaster, like a flood or wildfire, might pay more. Here's a city-by-city breakdown of renters insurance prices across the state of Oklahoma.
% difference from state average
Renters insurance costs also vary by state. To see how your rates in Oklahoma compare to the price of coverage across the country, see our nationwide study of renters insurance costs.
We collected renters insurance quotes from four top insurers for 25 cities around the state to find the best price for coverage. Our sample renter profile is a 30-year-old man who lives alone and has not made any recent renters insurance claims. He's protected himself with $30,000 of personal property coverage with a $500 deductible, plus $500,000 of liability protection.