Toggle Auto & Renters Insurance Review
Toggle Auto & Renters Insurance Review
Toggle offers highly customizable renters and auto insurance in a limited number of states. But compared to other cheap online insurers like Lemonade, Toggle's renters insurance falls short on the coverage you can get for the price. Toggle's renters insurance could be a good choice if you don't have much to insure or you need more specialized coverage and don't mind paying extra.
Toggle Insurance: Customized Coverage at a Higher Rate
A member of the Farmers brand, Toggle is a new fully digital company offering auto and renters insurance. The company is surprisingly transparent about what's covered and lets you read sample policies before getting a quote. But although its online quoting experience is seamless, the claims process can be a nightmare, according to customer reviews.
Toggle's renters insurance policies are completely customizable, but rates can quickly inflate if you need more than basic coverage. You'll pay extra to add coverage that’s considered standard with most other insurers.
Toggle charged higher rates for barebones renters insurance, and those prices climb as you add coverage that's normally included free.
This makes Toggle best suited for college students with few belongings or renters who want increased coverage for a few high-value items. Otherwise, you'll probably find better rates and coverage from other cheap online insurers like Lemonade.
Toggle does have a few perks that make its high rates worth the extra cost if you need unique coverage. Pet owners can get added benefits for both renters and auto insurance without the typical restrictions you'll find with other insurers. And people with side hustles like ridesharing or home-based businesses can get commercial coverage that's hard to find from other renters policies.
Toggle Auto Insurance
Find Cheap Car Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Toggle's expansion into auto insurance options is limited to a few states: Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and South Carolina. You won't find much info on rates or discounts yet. Coverage options include the basics plus some rare perks that aren't widely offered among competitors.
Toggle auto insurance coverage
Toggle’s standard auto insurance coverage includes:
- Bodily injury liability
- Gap coverage
- Property damage liability
- Personal injury protection
- Underinsured motorist liability
- Medical payments
You can also get a few extras with Toggle you won't find from every insurer, like pet injury protection and coverage for rideshare drivers. Toggle's benefits for towing and alternate transportation are also generous compared to competitors.
- Pet injury protection: Toggle covers up to $1,000 for vet bills if any pets are injured or die in a car accident, without the need to pay a deductible. Unlike most insurers, this includes any household pets, like dogs, cats, birds and exotic or small pets.
- Roadside assistance: 24/7 roadside help includes towing to the closest qualified repair shop, battery jumpstarts, lockouts and tire changes. You're covered for up to three emergencies every six months.
- Temporary ride coverage: If your car's in the shop after an accident, you'll get a daily stipend for a rental car, rideshare fees or even food delivery charges if you can't get to the grocery store. Choose from a $30 or $50 a day benefit.
Note that you won't be able to get SR-22 insurance from Toggle but can instead go through its partner, Bristol West.
Toggle auto insurance discounts
Toggle doesn't advertise discounts or make its rates public, likely because it's new to selling auto insurance. With some online-only insurers like Toggle, discounts aren't called out individually but are still baked into your final price.
To find out how much you'll pay, start by getting a quote on Toggle's website. The online quoting tool automatically pulls in data about you and your driving record based on personal information like your name and address to help give you a more accurate quote.
Toggle Renters Insurance
Find Cheap Renters Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Toggle lets you purchase renters insurance coverage only for what you want, but it also forces you to buy more coverage or risk excluding certain items.
For example, with most renters policies, you might have $30,000 in personal property protection coverage for everything you own. With Toggle, you'd have to split coverage by category, like $10,000 coverage for technology, $10,000 for furniture and $10,000 for jewelry.
Toggle renters insurance coverage
Toggle's quoting tool gives you three default plan choices to start with: basic, standard and premium.
All policies come standard with a $500 deductible, $100,000 of liability insurance, $1,000 in blanket personal property protection and medical payments coverage. You can purchase additional property protection by assigning a value to each category of your belongings — like clothes, furniture and electronics.
Despite this customization, Toggle's renters insurance is relatively expensive at higher levels of coverage. Upgrading a basic policy to $1,000 in each property category has a negligible rate increase. But upping each category to $10,000 in coverage causes your premium to jump to $30 a month, which is nearly double the national average of $16 per month for the same level of property coverage. With Toggle, you'd also have to pay extra for other add-ons that usually come standard with other renters policies.
|Technology||$10,000||TV, computer, phone, gaming|
|Furniture & appliances||$20,000||Bed, couch, microwave|
|Fashion & jewelry||$10,000||Ring, watch, designer bag|
|Creative & maker||$10,000||Camera, piano, art, tools|
|Active||$10,000||Bike, treadmill, golf clubs|
|Collectibles||$10,000||Art, cards, comics, antiques|
Renters insurance endorsements
Toggle offers several add-ons to enhance your policy, though it treats them a little differently from other insurers. You elect each coverage option instead of it being included automatically. Signing up for all of Toggle's endorsements increased our basic sample policy by $9 per month.
Choose from add-on endorsements like:
- Identity protection: With this extra perk, you can get credit monitoring services that will alert you if your identity or personal information are stolen. Toggle will also help you with the paperwork and help pay for any litigation fees or lost wages if you become a victim of identity theft.
- Pet Parent: If you sign up for the Pet Parent endorsement, you'll receive liability coverage for any damage your pet causes. You'll also get coverage for vet care and pet boarding costs if your home is unlivable as a result of a covered event. There are no breed restrictions either, which you won't find with every insurer. The only exclusion: you can't get the liability part if your pet has ever bitten someone.
- Replacement cost coverage: With this optional endorsement, your compensation for property losses wouldn't be affected by an item's depreciation. Otherwise, Toggle pays out for losses according to an item's actual cash value at the time it was damaged or stolen.
- Side hustle: This endorsement extends your policy's protection to business-related property, such as camera equipment for wedding photographers. It's good for up to $2,000 per month in lost compensation and $10,000 in legal fees, too. You're eligible for this coverage if you make less than $25,000 annually from secondary income. One caveat: ridesharing business property won't qualify.
- Temporary living costs: Temporary living costs is an upgrade you can add to your policy. Similar to additional living expenses coverage, this endorsement pays for you to stay in a hotel if your home is unlivable for up to 30 days. You can choose between $50, $100 and $150 per day.
Toggle also offers renters policyholders two unique benefits:
- Disappearing deductible: This free perk is included with all policies in certain states. Your deductible will drop automatically each year you go without a claim until it hits the cap of $50.
- Credit Lift: Toggle partners with RentTrack to offer a discount for a Credit Lift subscription. Credit Lift reports your on-time rent payments to credit monitoring services, such as Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. Because these payments aren't reported to credit bureaus by default, this service could help improve your credit score if you pay on time every month. But it might not be worth the extra $7 a month if you already have a strong credit history.
Toggle Renters Insurance Quote Comparison
Toggle's monthly rates for renters insurance were higher than competitors and offered less coverage nearly across the board. Lemonade could be a stronger pick for renters who want cheap premiums and solid coverage from a digital insurer.
Find Cheap Renters Insurance Quotes in Your Area
We compared Toggle's renters insurance quotes to Lemonade and State Farm. All policies included $10,000 for personal property protection and $100,000 for liability coverage. But Toggle's competitors also included additional living expenses and coverage for all belongings, which would cost extra to add to Toggle's policies.
Toggle Customer Reviews and Complaints
Toggle's customer reviews on sites like Clearsurance and Reddit were extremely polarized. Many reviews praised the ease of signing up and choosing coverage, while others criticized Toggle's claims process as slow, inefficient and unsatisfactory.
Toggle doesn't have a profile on BBB or Trustpilot yet. But policyholders should beware of its National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index score, which is based on a company's size versus the number of complaints. Toggle scored a dismal 21.80 in 2020, where a score of 1 is considered average.
Where is Toggle insurance available?
Toggle offers renters insurance in 25 states. Toggle also offers car insurance in Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and South Carolina, with plans to expand to more states.
|Renters insurance||AZ, AR, CA, CO, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MN, MS, MO, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI|
|Car insurance||AZ, IL, IN, OH, SC|
We collected renters insurance rates from popular rental and college towns within Toggle's area of service: Columbus, Ohio; College Station, Texas and Fort Collins, Colorado.
Our sample policies were for a 25-year-old, single man who lived in a home with no roommates and no extra safety features. Policies included $10,000 in personal property protection, in line with Toggle's basic plan. Deductibles were set at $500, except for State Farm, where the lowest available limit was $1,000.
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.