Kemper Preferred, formerly called Unitrin, is a middle-of-the-pack car insurance company. It doesn't universally offer the lowest rates, and its customer service reviews are below average. However, it does offer some compelling discounts and coverages, especially for families.
Kemper Preferred auto insurance: Good for families with young drivers, but varying prices and subpar service
Kemper Preferred is a good auto insurance option for drivers who prefer, or are open to, purchasing their car insurance through an agent, as well as families with young drivers. In particular, Kemper offers very affordable rates to families with teenage drivers: no small consideration when teenagers are the most expensive drivers to insure nationwide.
Kemper offers a wide range of discounts, including lower rates for teenage drivers with good grades, and discounts for taking driver safety classes. There are also bundle discounts for home and auto coverage.
You can only get Kemper Preferred quotes through independent car insurance agents, meaning you can't buy coverage directly from Kemper online or over the phone.
Quotes from Kemper did vary significantly depending on the sample driver. While great for families, Kemper is not the best option for everyone — as we found it offered the highest rate for seniors. This may not be an issue if you purchase insurance through an agent, as they'll generally comparison shop for you and help you find the lowest price.
With regard to customer service, some Kemper customers noted dissatisfaction with Kemper's claims process, noting both delays in payment and low payouts after a crash.
Bottom line: Kemper Preferred offers competitive car insurance rates, with a few special coverages and discounts that make it particularly appealing to families.
Kemper auto insurance quotes
Overall, the cost of Kemper Preferred car insurance is slightly lower than the cost of its competitors. Across our three sample driver profiles in the Los Angeles area, insurance policies from Kemper cost an average of $3,942 per year for full coverage. That's 14% less than the overall average of $4,601 annually, and $187 cheaper than the overall second-cheapest insurance company, Geico.
Find Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Married couple and son
Kemper didn't perform equally well for all of our sample drivers. The company offered the best rates by far for a three-person family with two cars and a newly licensed 17-year-old son: At $4,178 per year, it was $1,807 cheaper than the second-cheapest option, Geico. However, Kemper Preferred also provided the most expensive quote to a 70-year-old couple. At $3,608, that driver would spend $1,344 more than if they went with the cheapest insurer, Allstate.
Every insurance company calculates its rates differently, so we always recommend insurance shoppers check with multiple companies for the best prices on car insurance. It's especially important when considering Kemper Preferred, which offers favorable but somewhat inconsistent rates.
Kemper Preferred auto insurance discounts
Kemper Preferred offers a wide range of discounts to its customers including family discounts, car safety features discounts and multi-policy discounts. The discounts available for families with young drivers are particularly desirable, as they allow Kemper customers to lower the typically high cost of car insurance for a family with a teen driver.
How do you receive it?
|Family discounts||You’re eligible for a family discount if you have a driver away at school, a young driver with good grades in school, and driver training (for young and senior drivers)|
|Car safety features discounts||Discounts offered for cars with anti-lock brakes, anti-theft devices and passive restraints/air bags|
|Multipolicy discounts||Multicar discounts and home and auto insurance bundles|
Auto insurance coverages from Kemper Preferred
Kemper Preferred provides policyholders with all of the standard coverage options offered by the majority of national insurance companies. Additionally, Kemper Preferred offers a few notable coverage packages. These include:
- Kemper Total: Bundles multiple benefits for owners of new cars. First, it includes new car replacement coverage. This means if your car is totaled in a crash or stolen, Kemper will pay for you to purchase a completely new vehicle, even if your vehicle is more than a year old. You'll also receive an increased allotment for renting a car while your vehicle is being repaired. Kemper Total is only available when you're insuring a brand-new vehicle.
- Parked auto protection: With this optional coverage, your collision deductible is waived if your car is parked and unoccupied when it is struck by another vehicle.
- Auto loan/lease coverage: If your car is totaled in a crash or stolen, loan/lease coverage — also referred to as gap insurance — pays the difference between what your car is worth and the amount you have left to repay on your loan or lease.
Standard coverages from Kemper Preferred
- Liability (bodily injury/property damage)
- Uninsured motorist
- Roadside assistance
Kemper Insurance customer service reviews and ratings
Kemper Preferred has below-average customer service reviews. They received a complaint rating of 1.52 from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. The national median is 1.00, which means Kemper receives 1.52 times as many complaints as the average insurer of its size. The most common complaints customers made about Kemper involved delays in claim payments, as well as low settlement amounts.
Kemper Preferred financial strength rating
Kemper does have strong financial ratings. Kemper received an A- grade from credit agency AM Best. An A- indicates that AM Best believes Kemper has an "excellent" ability to pay out customer claims, even in a negative economic climate or times of high claim demand.
Other Kemper companies: Kemper Direct and Kemper Specialty
Kemper Corp. also operates several other insurance companies, some of which use the Kemper name. However, the companies all operate independently of one another. Furthermore, prices, coverages and regional availability differ by company.
- Kemper Direct: Sells online-only insurance policies directly to consumers. Quotes are not available from insurance agents. Can include rental car coverage.
- Kemper Specialty: Sells specialty car insurance in California and other states to drivers who can't find the right coverage elsewhere, such as for rare vehicles or high-risk drivers (such as those who require an SR-22). Only available from independent insurance agents. However, drivers are able to log in to use QuickPay to make a payment online, as well as EZPay to schedule recurring payments.
Other insurance companies owned by Kemper
We collected quotes from Kemper and top competing companies for drivers in the Los Angeles area. Sample policyholders are a 30-year-old man, married couple with a 17-year-old son and a 70-year-old couple.
Car insurance quotes used insurance rate data from Quadrant Information Services. These rates were publicly sourced from insurer filings and should be used for comparative purposes only — your own quotes will be different.