Best Cheap Health Insurance in Louisiana 2020

Find Cheap Health Insurance Quotes in Your Area

Currently insured?
{"id":10,"isAgeFieldVisible":true,"isInsuranceTypeFieldVisible":true,"isInsuredStatusFieldVisible":true,"buttonText":"Find Insurers","customEventLabel":"","defaultZip":"","defaultProduct":"health","quoteWizardEndpoint":"https:\/\/quotes.valuepenguin.com","trackingKey":"_best-cheap-health-insurance-louisia","title":"Find Cheap Health Insurance Quotes in Your Area","vendor":"vp"}

Louisiana residents can find affordable health insurance plans on the federally run state health insurance exchange or through Medicaid. But the best health insurance policy for you depends on where you live and the coverage you choose to fit your needs.

For 2020, the average monthly cost of health insurance in Louisiana is $596 for a 40-year-old. When compared to plan costs in 2018, this is a decrease of nearly 4% for this age group.

Finding the right plan for you may be difficult, so we researched all health insurance plans in Louisiana and found that depending on the parish you lived in, the Blue POS 80/60 $3400 was the cheapest in more than half of the state.

Cheapest health insurance by metal tier

Finding the best health plan with the coverage to fit your needs can be challenging, so we compared health insurance plans in Louisiana by metal tier in order to determine the cheapest policies available for each level of coverage. The insurers and policies below may not be available in your region, but you can use this information as a starting point to compare the costs and benefits you can expect from a given metal tier.

For example, the Blue Connect 80/60 Silver plan has a minimum monthly premium of $417 for a 40-year-old in Louisiana, which is $120 less than the minimum monthly premium on a Gold plan. In exchange for this lower rate, you would have to pay more out of pocket — the Silver health plan's deductible, for instance, is $2,400 greater than the Community Blue Copay 80/60 Gold plan.

Metal tierCheapest planDeductibleMaximum out-of-pocketMonthly cost for a 40-year-old
BronzeBlue Connect 70/50 $4550 (S)$4,550$8,150$348
Expanded BronzeCHP LA Bronze - Two Free PCP Visits$7,100$8,150$340
SilverBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (S)$3,400$8,150$417
GoldCommunity Blue Copay 80/60 $1000$1,000$8,150$537

Two factors that greatly affect your monthly health insurance premiums are metal tier and age. The metal tier, or coverage tier, affects how much money you pay out of pocket. You have lower deductibles, copays and coinsurance with higher tiers — but also higher monthly premiums.

And as your age increases, the monthly health insurance rates you would have to pay increase regardless of metal tier. A 40-year-old, for instance, would have a 53% cheaper health insurance rate than a 60-year-old for all metal tier plans in Louisiana. This translates to $514 per month in savings with a Bronze plan, or $7 per month with a Silver health plan.

Average monthly cost of health insurance plans by metal tier in Louisiana

Finding your best health insurance coverage in Louisiana

In Louisiana, the availability and cost of policies will vary depending on the region in which you live. Higher metal tier health plans, like Platinum and Gold plans, come with lower out-of-pocket expenses, like deductibles, copays and coinsurance, but they have a higher monthly premium. These plans can be good for those with chronic medical conditions that incur high medical costs or those who get sick often.

On the other hand, if you're young and healthy — and have the financial means to cover a higher portion of the medical costs in the event of an emergency — a lower metal tier health plan may be the better choice to lower your costs.

Platinum and Gold plans: Best for high expected medical costs

Platinum and Gold plans are considered higher metal tier health plans. These are most cost-effective for people with high expected medical costs. Although Platinum and Gold plans have some of the highest monthly rates, they also cover the most out-of-pocket costs. The Freedom Individual Platinum plan, for instance, has a $0 deductible.

On average, you can expect a Gold plan to cover roughly 80% of your health care expenses, while you pay the other 20%. Platinum plans typically cover 90% of your health care expenses, while you pay the other 10%.

Silver plans: Best for those with low income or average medical costs

Silver plans are a good middle ground — they usually have higher cost sharing than Gold and Platinum plans, but lower monthly rates than Bronze and Expanded Bronze plans.

For instance, the average monthly cost of the Blue POS 80/60 Silver health plan is $591 for a 30-year-old in Louisiana, and it has a deductible of $3,200. On the other hand, the Blue Max 90/70 Gold plan has a lower deductible of $1,500 but a much higher average monthly rate of $832 for a 30-year-old.

Furthermore, lower-income households can qualify for cost-sharing reduction (CSR) subsidies that reduce out-of-pocket expenses for Silver health plans. Typical Silver plans cover about 70% of your health care costs, while you pay 30%. But with CSR subsidies, you could qualify for a Silver plan that covers up to 94% of your health care costs. Therefore, these health policies often offer the best-value coverage for lower income families.

Bronze and Expanded Bronze plans: Best for young, healthy people

Expanded Bronze plans and Bronze plans offer cheaper monthly premiums than higher metal tier plans at the expense of reduced coverage and higher out-of-pocket costs. These plans are the lowest tiers available on the state exchange and are best for those who don't have high medical costs or can afford to cover a larger portion of cost sharing.

On average, you can expect a Bronze plan to cover about 60% of your health costs, while you pay for the other 40%. Expanded Bronze plans increase coverage to about 65%, while you pay roughly 35%.

Medicaid

Louisiana expanded Medicaid for residents under the Affordable Care Act in 2016. If your income is less than 138% of the federal poverty level, you may qualify for Medicaid coverage in the state.

Health insurance rate changes in Louisiana

In Louisiana, health insurance providers adjust their plan premiums, deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums on a yearly basis.

For 2020, Bronze health insurance policies saw the largest change since 2018, as they declined in price by nearly 8%. On the other hand, Expanded Bronze plans increased by $17 during that time period.

Metal tier2018 premium2020 premium% change
Bronze$497$458-7.83%
Expanded Bronze$467$4843.71%
Silver$651$6652.20%
Gold$711$709-0.32%
2018 and 2020 premiums are for a 40-year-old adult.

Short-term health insurance in Louisiana

If you temporarily need a more affordable option for health insurance, then a short-term health insurance plan may make financial sense for you. These types of plans have lower monthly premiums but do not cover the essential benefits or preexisting conditions.

In Louisiana, state regulations limit short-term health insurance lengths to six months. This is different than federal regulations, which allow you to take out short-term health insurance policies for up to a year. The state does follow federal guidelines for renewals, which are allowed for up to 36 months.

Find Cheap Health Insurance Quotes in Your Area

Currently insured?
{"id":4,"isAgeFieldVisible":true,"isInsuranceTypeFieldVisible":true,"isInsuredStatusFieldVisible":true,"buttonText":"Find Insurers","customEventLabel":"","defaultZip":"","defaultProduct":"health","quoteWizardEndpoint":"https:\/\/quotes.valuepenguin.com","trackingKey":"_best-cheap-health-insurance-louisia","title":"Find Cheap Health Insurance Quotes in Your Area","vendor":"vp"}

Best cheap health insurance companies in Louisiana

There are currently four health insurance companies that operate in Louisiana:

on_current="true" HMO Louisiana Inc. Vantage Health Plan Inc. Louisiana Health Service & Indemnity Co. CHRISTUS Health Plan Louisiana

Although the best policy differs in each parish, we recommend starting your search for the best cheap health insurance policy with HMO Louisiana, as it offers the most affordable Silver plan in every parish.

Cheapest health insurance plan by parish

The parish in which you live determines the availability of policies and their rates. The Blue POS 80/60 plan, for instance, costs $17 more per month for a 40-year-old in West Caroll than the same policy would cost in Webster.

To help you get started, we compared rates for every policy in Louisiana and identified the cheapest Silver health plan in each parish. The table below contains sample rates of these policies for a single adult, a couple and a family of three.

ParishCheapest planAge 40Couple, age 40Couple, age 40 + child
AcadiaBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (L)$480$960$1,248
AllenBlue POS 80/60 $3400$511$1,022$1,327
AscensionCommunity Blue copay 70/50 $2500$501$1,001$1,301
AssumptionBlue POS 80/60 $3400$479$957$1,244
AvoyellesBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
BeauregardBlue POS 80/60 $3400$511$1,022$1,327
BienvilleBlue POS 80/60 $3400$505$1,011$1,314
BossierBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (S)$417$834$1,084
CaddoBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (S)$417$834$1,084
CalcasieuCHP LA Silver HD - Two Free PCP Visits$431$862$1,120
CaldwellBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
CameronBlue POS 80/60 $3400$511$1,022$1,327
CatahoulaBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
ClaiborneBlue POS 80/60 $3400$505$1,011$1,314
ConcordiaBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
De SotoBlue POS 80/60 $3400$505$1,011$1,314
East Baton RougeCommunity Blue copay 70/50 $2500$501$1,001$1,301
East CarrollBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
East FelicianaBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
EvangelineBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (L)$480$960$1,248
FranklinBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
GrantCHP LA Silver HD - Two Free PCP Visits$438$877$1,139
IberiaBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (L)$480$960$1,248
IbervilleBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
JacksonBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
JeffersonBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (N)$431$862$1,120
Jefferson DavisBlue POS 80/60 $3400$511$1,022$1,327
La SalleBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
LafayetteBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (L)$480$960$1,248
LafourcheBlue POS 80/60 $3400$479$957$1,244
LincolnBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
LivingstonCommunity Blue copay 70/50 $2500$501$1,001$1,301
MadisonBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
MorehouseBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
NatchitochesBlue POS 80/60 $3400$505$1,011$1,314
OrleansBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (N)$431$862$1,120
OuachitaBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
PlaqueminesBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (N)$431$862$1,120
Pointe CoupeeBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
RapidesCHP LA Silver HD - Two Free PCP Visits$438$877$1,139
Red RiverCHP LA Silver HD - Two Free PCP Visits$425$850$1,104
RichlandBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
SabineBlue POS 80/60 $3400$505$1,011$1,314
Saint BernardBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (N)$431$862$1,120
Saint CharlesBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (N)$431$862$1,120
Saint HelenaBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
Saint JamesBlue POS 80/60 $3400$479$957$1,244
Saint LandryBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (L)$480$960$1,248
Saint MartinBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (L)$480$960$1,248
Saint MaryBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (L)$480$960$1,248
Saint TammanyBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (N)$431$862$1,120
St John The BaptistBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (N)$431$862$1,120
TangipahoaBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
TensasBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
TerrebonneBlue POS 80/60 $3400$479$957$1,244
UnionBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
VermilionBlue Connect 80/60 $3400 (L)$480$960$1,248
VernonCHP LA Silver HD - Two Free PCP Visits$438$877$1,139
WashingtonBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
WebsterBlue POS 80/60 $3400$505$1,011$1,314
West Baton RougeCommunity Blue copay 70/50 $2500$501$1,001$1,301
West CarrollBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
West FelicianaBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356
WinnBlue POS 80/60 $3400$522$1,044$1,356

Average cost of health insurance by family size in Louisiana

If you're looking for insurance to cover your entire family, the cost of your monthly premium will be determined based on your chosen health plan and the ages of your family members. For children under the age of 15, the monthly health insurance premium remains flat. Once a child turns 15, the cost of the monthly premium will increase as they get older.

The average cost of a Silver health insurance policy for an adult couple in Louisiana is $1,330, assuming it covers two 40-year-old adults. If you add a child, then the average monthly cost would increase by about $398, so a family of three would pay an average of $1,729 per month for medical insurance. Similarly, the average cost for a family of four with two adults and two children would cost $2,127.

Family sizeAverage monthly cost of health plan
Individual + child$1,064
Couple age 40$1,331
Family of three (adult couple and a child)$1,729
Family of four (adult couple and two children)$2,127
Family of five (adult couple and three children)$2,525
Adults are assumed to be 40 years old. Sample rates are based on the average cost for a Silver plan in Louisiana.

Methodology

2020 health insurance premiums, deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums in this report were compiled from the Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services government website. ValuePenguin used the Public Use Files (PUF) to calculate averages by metal tier, county and family size to better understand the health insurance exchange in Louisiana.

Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.