Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance: Affordable coverage you can upgrade with a few add-ons
We recommend Ameriprise for its solid auto and home insurance coverage, generally cheap rates and the practical endorsements you can use to supplement your coverage. While you might be able to find comparable rates and better coverage from other companies, Ameriprise will suit the needs of most people.
Its customer service reputation is decent but can vary somewhat depending on what you're insuring. Ameriprise home insurance policyholders tend to get better customer service than their auto insurance counterparts.
Find Cheap Homeowners Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Ameriprise insurance: Our thoughts
Ameriprise tends to offer affordable, no-frills auto and home insurance policies, but it may be easier to find a cheaper policy if you're looking for homeowners coverage instead of auto.
Whether you're shopping for homeowners or auto insurance, Ameriprise offers standard policies at rates that are cheaper or equal to competitors' prices. You can increase the protection of either your auto or homeowners policy by adding endorsements, although most of Ameriprise's add-ons resemble those typically offered by other companies.
Ameriprise has a decent reputation for customer service, but your experience may depend on what protection you're buying. Ameriprise receives relatively few customer complaints for its homeowners insurance, but gets more for its auto insurance coverage.
Auto insurance take-away: If you're a low-risk driver, Ameriprise is worth investigating. However, you're likely to find comparable auto insurance rates and coverage with other national insurers, so we'd recommend comparing quotes to find your best offer before committing to Ameriprise.
Homeowners insurance take-away: You should look into Ameriprise if you have a newer home with good security and safety features, as the company's already-competitive rates tend to reward homes with these qualities.
Ameriprise Auto Insurance
Ameriprise offers basic car insurance coverage with average prices, though if you have a checkered safety history its rates may be on the expensive side.
Ameriprise Auto Insurance Coverage
Ameriprise offers standard auto insurance coverages including:
- Bodily injury and property liability coverage
- Collision and comprehensive coverage
- Medical payments and personal injury protection
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist liability coverage
Ameriprise touts a collection of additional benefits, which may come standard with your auto insurance policy, depending on your location. Most of these features, listed below, are commonly offered by major car insurers, but Ameriprise sets itself apart with some unique options. For instance, accident forgiveness, usually earned or purchased for an additional fee in auto insurance policies, comes standard with many Ameriprise auto policies.
- Streamlined claims and policy management process: You can report an accident 24/7 on the phone, or online, and often get suggestions for repair facilities. You can also manage your policy online after purchasing, including changing user details and payment methods.
- Accident forgiveness: If you're a policyholder for more than three years, there is no charge for your first at-fault accident (not available in California, Kansas or North Carolina).
- Glass repair deductible waivers: If your windshield can be repaired, from cracks on a road trip for instance, your policy deductible is waived. This does not apply to full windshield replacement.
- Stolen key coverage: Stolen car keys are covered under your comprehensive coverage, with no deductible for replacements totaling less than $250.
- Accident travel expense coverage: Ameriprise will make a contribution to your out-of-pocket expenses for travel or accommodation if you were involved in an accident more than 100 miles from your home.
Ameriprise also offers some optional coverage benefits. Adding these benefits to your policy comes at the cost of a higher premium but their availability provides you with more flexibility in your policy coverage.
- Comprehensive Glass Deductible: The option to pay no deductible or a low deductible for glass damage to your vehicle
- Collision Deductible Waiver: Waives your deductible for collision coverage in certain scenarios where another driver is at fault
- Towing: Covers cost of towing a disabled vehicles and includes roadside assistance
- Substitute Transportation: Provides rental car coverage for the costs of a covered rental vehicle up to select limits if your car is disabled under a covered loss
Ameriprise Auto Insurance Discounts
Ameriprise offers a variety of auto insurance discounts related to safer lifestyle choices and bundling with other insurance policies.
If you're someone who is a careful driver and takes good care of their vehicle, you have the potential to get a number of discounts to your premium. Just note that Ameriprise's consumer discounts may only be available in certain states.
How you get it
|Safe driving||Maintain an accident-free driving record for three years. Even being in an accident for which you weren't at-fault can prevent you from getting this discount.|
|Accident merit rating||In states where accident forgiveness isn't available—California, Kansas and North Carolina—Ameriprise gradually reduces accident-related surcharges to your premiums each year, assuming you don't get into another at-fault accident.|
|Accident-free||Don't be responsible for an accident for three years. If you're not responsible for an accident for six years, you get a further discount.|
|Defensive driver||Take a refresher course on defensive driving approved by your state DMV.|
|Vehicle safety features||Have safety features in your vehicles such as anti-lock brakes and airbags.|
|Garaging||Keep your vehicle overnight in a garage.|
|Various education discounts||Young drivers who maintain good grades or complete a post-high-school education can get discounts to their premiums. Students who live away from home won't be considered a full driver in cost calculations, so parents will pay lower rates when their child is away at school.|
|Multivehicle||Insuring more than one vehicle could make you eligible for lower rates.|
|Tenure||Stay with Ameriprise for three years or more.|
Ameriprise also provides bundling discounts for combining auto insurance with its homeowners and umbrella policies. The more policies you bundle, the bigger your discount will be, and these bundles can be formed in a variety of ways. You can bundle your auto and home insurance for a discount, but you can also bundle either the home or auto policies with an umbrella policy. For example, using the Ameriprise online quote system, we found that a sample six-month auto insurance premium of $810 was reduced to $759, a 6% drop, when we indicated we would bundle the purchase with a homeowners policy. If you're looking for an even bigger discount you can bundle all three: homeowners, auto and umbrella policies.
Finally, Ameriprise finds ways to reward customers for doing business with the company outside of insurance. If you're a client of Ameriprise Financial, the company's financial planning arm, your home or auto insurance will be eligible for a discount. And, if you happen to be a member of Costco, you can get a discount on your home and auto insurance policies if you buy them through Ameriprise.
Ameriprise Auto Insurance Quotes
Ameriprise quotes can be quite volatile depending on your driver demographic, with rates appearing to penalize young drivers. For instance, for a 30-year-old single male with a clean driving record, Ameriprise had the second cheapest quote among our sample competitors. Conversely, for a single 20-year-old female and a clean driving record, Ameriprise is far more expensive than Esurance (41% more expensive) and Geico (140%).
Adding an at-fault accident to the records of the same driver profiles results in a similar pattern: Younger drivers pay extra. For instance, a 20-year-old female with accidents on her record could have annual premiums in excess of $5,000 compared to approximately $3,000 for Esurance and $2,000 for Geico. When shopping for your auto insurance policy, its best to get an online quote to estimate the cost of your chosen coverage, which you can do online with Ameriprise in minutes.
Ameriprise Specialty Insurance Through Partners
If you need additional specialty vehicle insurance coverage, Ameriprise can provide you a quote through one of its many partner insurers. Ameriprise partners with American Modern, Arrowhead, Chubb, Embrace, Hartford, Progressive and RLI. Specialty vehicle coverage policies include ATVs, boats and watercrafts, collector cars, motorcycles and RVs. You can also contact Ameriprise and its partners for quotes for flood and rental property insurance.
Ameriprise home insurance reviews
Ameriprise home insurance includes the protections conventionally offered by other insurers in the industry. If you decide to purchase coverage from Ameriprise, your policy will be underwritten by its partner, American Family Insurance.
While the coverage, endorsements and discounts offered in Ameriprise's homeowners insurance policies aren't unique, they are practical and convenient.
Ameriprise home insurance comes with protection for your dwelling and personal property, and it covers loss-of-use expenses if you're unable to live in your home for a period of time. Additionally, its personal liability protects you against lawsuits brought against you.
Unlike many other insurers with cheaper rates, you don't need to purchase additional liability coverage for slander and libel with Ameriprise.
Ameriprise homeowners insurance quotes and discounts
Ameriprise's home insurance rates are competitive with large insurers throughout the country. We found that Ameriprise home insurance is typically somewhat cheaper than other companies for varying levels of protection.
As homeowners insurance rates can vary by location, you should measure Ameriprise prices against other home insurance companies in your area. However, it was difficult to compare quotes using Ameriprise's online quote form. Often, we were asked to contact an agent for a price.
Find Cheap Homeowners Insurance Quotes in Your Area
Ameriprise homeowners insurance coverage
Because Ameriprise's home insurance premiums are similar to its competitors' premiums, we recommend choosing your homeowners insurance company based on which offers your best coverage for your home.
In addition to the protections afforded by a standard Ameriprise home insurance policy, you can upgrade your protection with a variety of useful, if conventional, endorsements. The standout is replacement cost coverage for your personal property. If your belongings are damaged or stolen, you'd be reimbursed without considerations to the item's depreciated value.
You could also purchase the following forms of coverage if you want more protection:
- Identity theft protection: Covers up to $5,000 of expenses related to recovering from identity theft.
- Credit card or check fraud protection: Covers unauthorized credit card or check use.
- Food spoilage protection: Reimburses you up to $500 for costs related to food spoiled by a covered peril.
- Lock replacement expense: Ameriprise covers lock replacement up to $100 after your home has been broken into.
- Mine subsidence insurance: If you live in an area that has a history of subterranean ore mines, this coverage protects your home from damage caused by cave-ins or other earth movements.
Like most other insurers, Ameriprise has discounts that you can use to lower the cost of your policy — if you qualify. Although the discounts with Ameriprise home insurance aren't uncommon in the homeowners insurance marketplace, there's a good chance you could meet the requirements for at least a couple.
Besides bundling your home insurance policy with another form of protection, you could save money on your Ameriprise home insurance policy with these discounts:
- Age of home: Newer homes generally qualify for a larger premium discount.
- Claims free: In select states, you can get a discount if you haven't filed a claim in the last five years.
- Home safety: You may qualify for discounts by making your home more secure, using devices such as smoke alarms and security systems.
- Tenure: In select states, you may get a discount for remaining an Ameriprise customer for a certain period of time.
- Renovation: You could get discounts if you've recently replaced major components of your home such as the roof, heating and cooling systems, and electrical and plumbing systems.
Ameriprise customer reviews, complaints and Financial Strength Rating
Customers can generally expect good customer service from Ameriprise for homeowners insurance, but may receive less-favorable service as an auto insurance policyholder.
According to data from the National Association for Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Ameriprise home insurance receives about 25% fewer complaints than expected for its market share. Conversely, its auto insurance protection tends to garner about 37% more complaints than its size would suggest.
Contrary to the NAIC's complaint data, online customer reviews of Ameriprise are mostly negative, with many reviews citing unclear costs in their policies and minimal communication from Ameriprise following unexpected rate changes.
If you're looking for security from a financial strength perspective, Ameriprise is a stable choice. Its main insurance property and casualty subsidiary, IDS Property Casualty, has been assigned a Financial Strength Rating of A by A.M. Best, indicating Ameriprise has a strong ability to pay out claims.
To compare the cost of Ameriprise car insurance, we got quotes for multiple driver profiles with and without at-fault accidents. Our estimates were based on policies for a 2013 Toyota Camry with liability, personal injury and physical damage coverage.
We requested quotes from Ameriprise home insurance using a property in Illinois for multiple coverage levels. Because we encountered error messages on Ameriprise's website, we sourced our quotes from American Family Insurance directly, since this company underwrites the policies of Ameriprise.