Advertiser Disclosure: ValuePenguin is an advertising-supported comparison service which receives compensation from some of the financial providers whose offers appear on our site. This compensation from our advertising partners may impact how and where products appear on our site (including for example, the order in which they appear). To provide more complete comparisons, the site features products from our partners as well as institutions which are not advertising partners. While we make an effort to include the best deals available to the general public, we make no warranty that such information represents all available products.
In order to help you better understand the impact of interest, we built this credit card debt calculator. Enter your the details of your outstanding balances, interest rates, and the payments you’re making into the fields below. We’ll calculate for you the total interest you can expect to pay on your current obligations. If you would like to consolidate your credit card debt, or defer paying interest, consider applying for a balance transfer credit card.
Visualizing Your Debt Burden
To help you track how quickly your balance will be affected under your current payment plan, we graphed your progress over time below.
Credit Card Debt Calculator Methodology
Credit card interest kicks in on the remainder of your unpaid balance each month. For the above calculator, we assumed you begin with a set balance, and begin to pay it off over time. The interest for each month is equal to the periodic rate multiplied by your balance after a payment is applied.
The periodic rate varies month to month, depending on the number of days in a billing period. In order to approximate this, we divide the card APR by 12, to get a monthly periodic rate.
The interest rate is then added to the balance after payment, and carries over into the next month where the process is repeated.
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
14.74% - 24.74% (Variable)
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases from date of account opening and 0% Intro APR for 18 months on balance transfers from date of first transfer. After that the variable APR will be 14.74% - 24.74%, based on your creditworthiness. Balance transfers must be completed within 4 months of account opening.
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Get free access to your FICO® Score online.
- With Citi Entertainment®, get special access to purchase tickets to thousands of events, including concerts, sporting events, dining experiences and more.
- Shop with confidence knowing that you have dependable protection benefits, including $0 Liability on Unauthorized Purchases and Citi® Identity Theft Solutions.
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 14.74% - 24.74%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.