The State Farm Steer Clear program is a great choice for teen drivers. An app-based telematics program, State Farm Steer Clear is designed to help teenage drivers improve their driving and earn a discount on their auto insurance. Through online modules, mentorship and practice driving, Steer Clear helps teen drivers learn and practice skills they need to drive safely. The size of the discount varies by coverage and state, but teen drivers can earn up to 20% off their premiums.
Read on to learn more about how the State Farm Steer Clear program works and to determine whether it is a good fit for you.
What is the Steer Clear program from State Farm?
The State Farm Steer Clear program is designed to help young drivers form safe habits on the road and reduce their risk of getting into accidents. In exchange for participating in the program, State Farm offers young drivers discounts off their auto insurance rates.
ValuePenguin found that teen drivers pay auto insurance rates that are three times higher than rates for drivers in their mid-30s and four times higher than rates for drivers in their mid-50s.
Young drivers pay significantly higher rates than the rest of the driving population. Steer Clear can help young drivers offset expensive auto insurance premiums, equipping them with skills they need to drive safely while rewarding them for taking the time to acquire those skills.
Not all teen drivers are eligible for State Farm Steer Clear. To be eligible for the program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be younger than 25 years of age
- Have no at-fault accidents or moving violations on your record during the last three years
- Have a valid driver's license
- Hold a State Farm car insurance policy
- Successfully complete all program requirements in six months
However, drivers who are 25 years old or older with less than three years of experience may be eligible for the program in some states. Reach out to your local State Farm agent to confirm details for your state.
How does State Farm Steer Clear work?
To earn the State Farm Steer Clear discount, you must complete the entire driving course within six months to show that you are a safe driver. The steps you will need to complete are as follows:
- Contact a State Farm agent to add a new driver to the program.
- Download the State Farm Steer Clear app, using either the Apple App Store or Google Play, or by texting the word "STEER" to 78836.
- Complete five training modules, which consist of driving scenarios, quizzes and videos.
- Drive five hours over the course of 10 trips, allowing the State Farm Steer Clear app to log and score your driving.
- Have a more experienced friend or family member mentor you, leaving comments on your driving in the app.
Once you've finished the program, the app will send you a certificate of completion. You can then use the app to send your certificate to your State Farm agent, who will then apply the discount to your premiums.
If you do not have a mobile phone — or if you are uncomfortable with the idea of sharing your location data with State Farm — you can complete State Farm Steer Clear without using the mobile app. If this is your preference, take the following steps:
- Reach out to your State Farm agent to determine whether you are eligible.
- Complete the five training modules online, available on statefarm.com.
- Drive for five hours over the course of 10 trips.
- Log each of your trips manually in the trip log, available to print or as a PDF at statefarm.com.
- Sign the Statement of Qualification, which states that you have completed the program requirements and must be cosigned by the policyholder.
- Submit the trip log and the Statement of Qualification to your State Farm agent, who will then apply the discount to your policy.
What topics does State Farm cover in its modules?
State Farm Steer Clear program participants must complete five learning modules — which include lessons, videos and driving scenarios — to earn an insurance discount. These modules cover the following driving topics:
- Getting ready to drive: Teaches you about the basic safety features of your car.
- Focus and distraction: Focused on identifying and eliminating distractions on the road.
- Residential and city roads: Enables you to drive safely amid the threat of both environments.
- Highway driving: Covers topics such as merging safely and keeping distance.
- Special driving situations: Equips you to drive in bad weather and manage emergencies.
Where is State Farm Steer Clear available?
State Farm Steer Clear is available in 45 states, but it is unavailable in the following five states:
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
Be aware that in certain states, you can access the learning modules and other features of the program but can't earn a discount for your participation. The best way to confirm what features of the program are available in your state is to speak directly with a State Farm agent.
How to set up the State Farm Steer Clear app
To download the State Farm Steer Clear app and score a discount, policyholders have two options.
- Option 1: Search in Google Play or in the Apple App Store to find the app. Download it to your Android or iPhone.
- Option 2: Text the word "STEER" to 78836. You will be sent a link to download the app.
The app also gives users a code that they can forward to a parent, sibling or friend over the age of 25. The code allows this older mentor to view the younger driver's trips, scores and progress in completing the program.
Is Steer Clear worth it?
We generally recommend State Farm Steer Clear to young drivers. It's hard to see a downside: State Farm's rates are already some of the cheapest available, and Steer Clear gives young drivers an opportunity to lower their premiums even more while developing safe driving habits.
Plus, Steer Clear only monitors young drivers for six months. This differentiates it from State Farm Drive Safe and Save, the company's telematics monitoring program for adults. Drive Safe and Save offers drivers over the age of 25 a potentially larger discount, but they must be willing to undergo continuous monitoring of their driving.
Young drivers considering the program should be aware that iPhone users seem to have a better experience with Steer Clear than Android users. While users of both operating systems reported occasional app crashes and being unfairly penalized for accelerating and braking, Android users rated the app 3.3 out of 5, while iPhone users gave it a 4.7 out of 5.
Bottom line: State Farm Steer Clear is a great way for young drivers to get their premiums down. We recommend it if you're comfortable sharing your driving data with your insurer and think you can complete the requirements in six months.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does State Farm Steer Clear take?
State Farm Steer Clear must be completed within six months if drivers want to receive a discount.
What other discounts does State Farm offer?
State Farm offers an impressive list of discounts. In addition to standard options like a multicar discount and a multipolicy discount, State Farm offers several discounts for young drivers, including discounts for being a good student, living away from home at school and completing a defensive driving course.
What is State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
State Farm Drive Safe and Save is a telematics program that monitors your driving habits and offers you a discount for safe driving. Drivers can earn up to 30% off their premiums for avoiding things like quick acceleration, hard braking and sharp turns.