Editorial note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
As hotels continue to struggle amid the COVID-19 pandemic, they are offering incentives for loyalty program members to continue utilizing their rewards, along with earning more rewards.
Hyatt has announced a fantastic sign-up bonus for new World of Hyatt Credit Card holders to save points on future stays, as well as opportunities to earn more points on dining.
Earn up to 60,000 Hyatt points
World of Hyatt Credit Card
15.99% - 22.99% Variable
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Plus, up to 30,000 More Bonus Points by earning 2 Bonus Points total per $1 spent in the first 6 months from account opening on purchases that normally earn 1 Bonus Point, on up to $15,000 spent
- Get 1 free night each year after your Cardmember anniversary at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort
- Enjoy complimentary World of Hyatt Discoverist status for as long as your account is open
- Receive 5 tier qualifying night credits towards status after account opening, and each year after that for as long as your account is open
- Earn an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel if you spend $15,000 in a calendar year
- Earn 2 qualifying night credits towards tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card
- Earn up to 9 points total for Hyatt stays – 4 Bonus Points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels & 5 Base Points per $1 from Hyatt as a World of Hyatt member
- Earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airlines tickets purchased directly from the airlines, on local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships
In addition to elite qualifying nights, World of Hyatt Credit Card members have the opportunity to earn up to 60,000 points in their first year:
- Earn up to 60,000 Bonus Points - Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Plus, up to 30,000 More Bonus Points by earning 2 Bonus Points total per $1 spent in the first 6 months from account opening on purchases that normally earn 1 Bonus Point, on up to $15,000 spent.
Essentially, this welcome offer allows you to earn at an elevated rate for purchases outside of the existing bonus categories in the first six months of card ownership. You'll earn 2 bonus points per $1 spent on purchases that would normally earn just 1 point per $1 — but capped at up to $15,000 in purchases.
Therefore, this bonus is really worth 45,000 points since you'd earn the additional 15,000 points from normal spending. With our valuation of World of Hyatt points at 1.7 cents each, this sign-up bonus has the potential to be worth up to $765, which is one of the best hotel card offers out there.
World of Hyatt Credit Card also comes with other great perks, including the ability to earn valuable Hyatt points at a fast rate:
- Earn up to 9 points total per $1 spent at Hyatt - 4 Bonus Points per $1 when you use your card at Hyatt hotels & 5 Base Points per $1 from Hyatt as a World of Hyatt member.
- 1 free night annually at any Category 1-4 property each year after your cardmember anniversary.
- An additional free night at any Category 1-4 property if you spend $15,000 during your cardmember anniversary year.
- Travel insurance coverage including: trip cancellation/interruption insurance, lost luggage reimbursement and baggage delay insurance.
All of these benefits come at a modest $95 annual fee, making it one of the best options for a hotel credit card. And with the current promotion, consumers with a lot of spending can earn loads of Hyatt points and elevated Hyatt status.
How many points do you need for a free night at Hyatt?
Hyatt Hotels start at a modest 5,000 points for their Category 1 properties for a standard room. In 2021, this will decrease to 3,500 points as Hyatt introduces off-peak and peak pricing, meaning 50,000 points will get you up to 14 hotel nights. Here is the current Hyatt award chart:
Standard room points per night
Regency/Grand Club points per night
Standard suite points per night
Premium Suite points per night
|8||40,000||50,000 (effective 2021)||61,000 (effective 2021)||80,000 (effective 2021)|
Who is eligible for this offer?
Both current and new cardholders are eligible for these promotions, including those who hold the discontinued The Hyatt Credit Card.
Chase 5/24 Rule
Cardholders who have applied for too many cards recently may also be ineligible for the offer, due to the Chase 5/24 rule.
The Chase 5/24 rule excludes you from being approved for any Chase credit cards if you have had five credit card approvals from any card issuer in the last 24 months. The rule, which is not publicly advertised by Chase, discourages consumers from signing up for a credit card to earn promotional benefits, and then canceling the card.
Also, World of Hyatt Credit Card product is not available to previous cardholders of any Hyatt credit card who received a sign-up bonus within the last 24 months.
Should you apply for the World of Hyatt Credit Card now?
The World of Hyatt Credit Card is an excellent option for someone who wants to travel luxuriously and get a great value for their spending. While Hyatt has a smaller portfolio than Hilton or Marriott, Hyatt does have over 900 properties in over 65 countries, giving consumers plenty of options to use their points and status. If you are under the Chase 5/24 rule and have significant upcoming expenses, pairing World of Hyatt Credit Card with this promotion could be a great combination to earn heaps of Hyatt points toward an award night or two.