FlixBus is an intercity bus travel company which originated in Europe — it has now spread to the United States, bringing affordable and sustainable bus travel to cities all over the country.
- From big cities to small towns, FlixBus can get you where you need to go for as little as $4.99, depending on your route and travel dates.
- Each bus is equipped with free Wi-Fi, plenty of overhead storage space, comfortable seats and charging outlets.
- Best of all, FlixBus prides itself on providing carbon-neutral travel, and even gives passengers the option to purchase "CO2 Compensation" tickets to make a positive environmental contribution.
But, while in theory FlixBus seems to have it all, in reality it appears it’s still working out some kinks regarding travel delays and poor customer service. According to a wide range of customer reviews across a number of online platforms, customer satisfaction tends to be low when it comes to traveling with FlixBus. However, if your plans and timetable are relatively flexible and you're on a tight budget, you might still consider booking your trip with FlixBus.
How does FlixBus work?
You can use FlixBus to find a bus route to your desired destination. The process for using FlixBus is simple:
- Select whether you want a one-way or round-trip bus ticket.
- Input your desired departure and arrival cities and select your dates.
- Choose the number of passengers and bicycles (if traveling with a bike).
- Click "Search."
- From there, select your preferred bus route by clicking "Book Seat."
- If taking a round-trip route, you’ll then be prompted to select your return trip.
- You’ll be directed to input your passenger information and choose to pay for add-ons including seat selection, whether you'd like to travel "neighbor free" (which allows you to sit on your own) add additional luggage or opt to pay a small fee to make your trip carbon-neutral.
- Once you fill in your payment information, your trip is booked.
Is FlixBus worth it?
FlixBus can certainly be worth it for budget travelers looking for the absolute cheapest way to travel between U.S. cities.
At a $4.99 starting price, tickets can be quite inexpensive, and there are currently 196 U.S. destinations to choose from.
However, according to numerous customer reviews, Flixbus has a few major drawbacks. For example, many customers have reported:
- Significant bus delays
- Difficulty with poorly marked bus stops
- Trouble getting refunded
For travelers who can be flexible with their dates and aren't particularly concerned with timetables, you should have no problem using and enjoying FlixBus. But for those travelers who need timely and reliable transportation, this may not be your best option.
FlixBus USA offers routes all over the U.S. Locations include popular tourist destinations like New York, New Orleans and Las Vegas, and FlixBus also provides suggestions for travelers’ different interests, such as hiking, history, beacher and amusement parks. Plus, there’s a presence in college towns like Ann Arbor, Mich., Binghamton, N.Y. and Clemson, S.C, which could be helpful for students leaving campus for school breaks. FlixBus even offers overnight bus routes for those looking to save time by traveling through the night, rather than wasting a vacation day on travel.
Some of the most popular U.S. routes include the following:
- Los Angeles - Las Vegas
- New York City - Washington, DC
- Houston - New Orleans
- Baltimore - Washington, DC
- Phoenix - Las Vegas
- New York City - Baltimore
- San Francisco - Los Angeles
For a full list of FlixBus' U.S. destinations, click here.
FlixBus promotes sustainable, eco-friendly travel. They offer travelers the option to purchase "CO2 Compensation" tickets at the time of booking, which equates to a voluntary environmental contribution. Each donation is given to the National Forest Foundation and another Global Climate Protection Project abroad.
Perhaps the biggest draw to FlixBus is its affordable pricing. Depending on your route and departure time, you can get a bus ticket for as little as $4.99. Compared to flight or train tickets, which are much more expensive, FlixBus prices are optimal for budget travelers.
FlixBuses feature a host of onboard amenities: These include free Wi-Fi and an entertainment portal, comfortable seats, onboard restrooms, snacks and drinks for purchase, electrical outlets and plenty of overhead luggage storage space. These conveniences work to make FlixBus rides more comfortable and accommodating for its riders.
FlixBus includes routes from both small towns and major cities throughout the U.S. and Europe. This can make traveling where you want to go within these regions a convenient and affordable option.
- Frequent delays: According to a multitude of FlixBus reviewers, buses can arrive hours late without warning, delay their departure time or be canceled at a moment's notice. However, FlixBus does allow users to track their bus in real time, so you can see whether or not you should be expecting delays.
- Poor customer service: Many FlixBus users were unable to get refunded after a canceled or delayed trip, and have cited FlixBus' poor customer service. While you may have a different experience should you need to contact FlixBus customer service, you should go in with low expectations.
- Bus stops aren’t well marked: FlixBus passengers often comment that FlixBus stations are not well marked and can be hard to identify. If you choose to ride with FlixBus, be sure to do your research ahead of time to determine your exact pickup and drop-off locations.
How does FlixBus compare with its competitors?
While FlixBus is relatively new to the U.S. market, other bus companies like Greyhound and Megabus have been in business here for years. We've compared these three intercity bus companies by number of U.S. destinations, onboard amenities and lowest starting price.
|Lowest starting price||$4.99||$1||<$11|
Our favorite credit cards to use for FlixBus
The best credit cards to use for FlixBus will be cashback cards and credit cards that reward members for travel-related purchases. For example, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® and the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card cards both offer rewards points for travel purchases, which include train and bus purchases. You can use your rewards to book your FlixBus trip to get your ticket for free.
Alternatively, cashback cards like the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer and Chase Freedom Unlimited® offer cardmembers a percentage of every purchase in cash back. This way you can earn cash back when you buy your FlixBus ticket or spend your hard earned cash back on the ticket itself.
Credit score needed
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®||Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®||720-850||$550|
Should you use FlixBus?
If you have a flexible schedule and aren't in a time-crunch, FlixBus can be a great option for travelers on a budget who are looking to explore America by bus. Tickets can be incredibly cheap and there are available destinations all over the U.S. and Europe. However, travelers should expect delays and limited customer service.
Is FlixBus better than Greyhound?
While Greyhound and FlixBus are comparable in pricing and amenities, Greyhound offers service to more cities and states. That said, FlixBus as a brand may be considered a bit higher-end than Greyhound, as it tends to attract a clientele that reflects that.
Is FlixBus USA safe?
FlixBus takes special safety precautions to protect against COVID-19. It requires face masks to be worn at all times during your trip, promotes social distancing, disinfects buses daily, provides clean air through regular changing of the A/C filter and enforces high safety standards with its drivers. All FlixBuses also include seatbelts.
How much does FlixBus cost?
FlixBus prides itself on being one of the cheapest intercity transportation options available, with trips starting as low as $4.99.
How do I travel with FlixBus?
To travel with FlixBus, simply go online to https://www.flixbus.com/ and input your desired travel information to search for available bus routes.
The information related to Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.