Jump to: Read review
- Welcome offer: 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earning rate: Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels. Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets. Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Annual fee: $250
- Airline benefits: Free checked bags, $39 Sky Club discount, companion certificate, up to $100 credit for Global Entry/TSA precheck, status boost
- Terms Apply.
Is the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card worth it?
For travelers who fly on Delta frequently or who need help earning elite status, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card is worth it. Cardholders earn 3x miles per dollar on Delta purchases and hotel rooms booked directly with the hotel. Plus, you'll receive the first checked bag for free, an annual companion certificate when you renew the card and up to 20,000 MQMs per year based on your spending.
While occasional Delta travelers may not find much use for the elite status opportunity, the annual companion ticket alone could still make it worth the annual fee. On the downside, the card's $250 annual fee can make it hard to justify for those who don't fly Delta frequently.
Read on to get an in-depth look at the card's features to decide: Is it worth it for you?
For rates and fees of Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, please click here.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card.*Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
Earn 50,000 SkyMiles
When you apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, you can 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
Delta uses variable pricing on award tickets and no longer publishes an award chart. Because of that, it can be a challenge to guarantee how far these miles will take you.
However, there are many great uses for them, such as:
- Delta Economy one-way awards within the U.S. for as low as 2,000 miles.
- One-way flights to Europe from the U.S. for 35,000 miles on Delta.
- First Class flight from the U.S. to the Bahamas for 42,000 miles on Delta.
- Use miles to upgrade a paid flight, cover fees or select Preferred seats.
- Purchase a Delta Sky Club membership for 54,500 miles.
The welcome bonus offer on the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card is currently higher than the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card's offer. It is comparable to the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card's offer, but comes with a much lower annual fee.
What it's worth: Around $650
Who's eligible to earn this offer? U.S. residents who have not had this card or any other previous versions of it.
Earn up to 3X bonus miles
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card lets you Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels. Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets. Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card rewards you generously on a wide variety of categories. But you may get more value out of a flexible points card.
By our estimates, this is a pretty good earning rate: The typical consumer will earn an average of 1.9 cents per dollar spent with this card. However, you can earn up to twice as much value for every dollar you spend with general purpose travel cards like the American Express® Gold Card (4.4 cents) and Chase Sapphire Reserve® (3 cents), since their points are so versatile (you can transfer them to a variety of loyalty programs). If you are strictly interested in earning rewards, you’re better off putting your everyday purchases on one of these other cards.
Compare how the rewards earned per dollar compares to other travel cards, referring to the chart below (we estimate an earning rate for the average consumer based on U.S. Bureau of Labor data and multiply that by value of each card’s points or miles).
Average rewards earned per $1 spent
What are Delta Platinum miles worth?
The value of your Delta SkyMiles varies based on how you redeem them. In most cases, you'll get the most value from them when booking premium cabin seating on international flights. You can expect to receive about 1 to 1.3 cents per mile when booking a round-trip main cabin flight in the U.S. However, an international First Class or Business one-way flight yields an average of 5.9 cents per mile.
Delta uses dynamic pricing for its award flights rather than a set chart, making it hard to tell in advance how many miles you'll need. On the bright side, it's easy to find good value for your SkyMiles.
Delta miles are fairly simple to redeem, and it is easy to find good values for your miles on Delta's site. The number of miles you need for a free flight varies, but you can find flights on some routes for as little as 2,000 miles each way. When you're looking for more adventure, economy flights to Europe can be booked starting at only 35,000 miles.
Delta no longer provides an award chart, which makes it harder to determine how many miles you’ll need for a flight. The prices are variable and adjust based on demand, time of year and many other factors.
With that being said, through our analysis, we've been able to calculate the average value of redeeming miles for a variety of flight options:
- Round-trip flights generally have a lower value than one-way flights. This is mainly because airlines charge less in cash for round-trip flights than one-way flights.
- Hub-to-hub flights in First or Business Class have the lowest value per mile.
- One-way First or Business Class international flights provide the highest redemption value.
Delta's award site is easy to use. When starting your search, simply check the "Shop with Miles" box and flight options and prices will populate. The default option is to see a weekly calendar of the lowest-priced flights between your cities. If you have a flexible schedule, click on the "Price Calendar" tab so you can see award prices one month at a time. This will help you locate the lowest-cost flight options.
Value of Delta SkyMiles
Round Trip Main Cabin
One Way Main Cabin
|Domestic||Hub to Hub||1.0 cents||0.7 cents||1.2 cents||1.3 cents|
|Hub to Non-Hub||1.2 cents||1.5 cents||1.3 cents||1.5 cents|
|Non-Hub to Non-Hub||1.3 cents||1.3 cents||0.9 cents||1.4 cents|
|International||Hub to Hub||1.5 cents||4.0 cents||4.2 cents||5.9 cents|
|Hub to Non-Hub||1.6 cents||3.2 cents||2.4 cents||3.7 cents|
|Non-Hub to Non-Hub||1.3 cents||1.9 cents||3.7 cents||3.4 cents|
|Average||1.3 cents||2.1 cents||2.3 cents||2.9 cents|
Delta Platinum companion ticket
One of the most valuable benefits of the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card is its companion ticket. Each year, when you renew the card, you'll receive a companion ticket during your anniversary month. The pass lets a companion travel with you on a roundtrip revenue ticket, for only taxes and fees (up to $75). The value of the companion fare could easily exceed the annual fee each year.
However, this benefit comes with some restrictions:
- It's only good for a Main Cabin ticket (even if you are traveling in a higher class).
- It only applies to travel within the 48 contiguous United States.
- All tickets for the companion flight on the same reservation must be paid for with the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card.
If you'd like to use the companion ticket on a higher ticket class, like Delta Comfort+ or Domestic First Class, you'll need to upgrade to the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card. Otherwise, you'll need to book a Main Cabin economy ticket and rely on your elite status to receive an upgrade, if available.
The hidden value of a credit card is often in the ancillary benefits that many cardholders don't know about or use. When you maximize the potential of these benefits, you can earn or save many multiples of the annual fee.
When making purchases internationally, there are no foreign transaction fees on this credit card. Some credit cards charge up to 3% foreign transaction fees on international purchases, which acts as a hidden tax to inflate the cost of your purchases.
For reservations paid in full with your Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, you'll receive the following travel insurance benefits:
- Trip delay insurance
- Baggage insurance
- Secondary rental car insurance
For up to nine people traveling on the same itinerary, each person is entitled to one checked bag for free on Delta. Delta charges $30 per checked bag, so this benefit can really add up if you check bags regularly.
As an Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card cardholder, you can gain access to Delta Sky Club lounges for $39 per person. You may bring up to two guests or immediate family members (spouses or domestic partners and children under 21 years) with you at the same $39 per person rate (children under 2 years are free). In order to gain entry, you must present your Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, same-day Delta or Delta partner boarding pass and your ID at check-in.
Your spending on the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card can provide a status boost by earning additional MQMs and waiving the MQD requirement.
- As part of your welcome bonus, you can earn MQMs.
- Each year, you'll also earn 10,000 MQMs for every $25,000 you spend on the card, up to a maximum of 20,000 MQMs.
- Additionally, when you spend $25,000 you'll also receive an MQD waiver.
If you max out these benefits in the first year of being a cardholder, you'll qualify for Delta Silver Medallion Status. This elite status normally requires 25,000 MQMs (or 30 MQSs) and $3,000 MQDs (or an MQD waiver).
When you apply for Global Entry or TSA Precheck with the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, you'll be reimbursed for the application fees. This benefit can be used once every four years for Global Entry or once every 4.5 years for TSA Precheck.
In-flight purchases of food, drinks and audio headsets on Delta-operated flights will receive a 20% statement credit when using the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card. However, this discount does not apply to other in-flight purchases, such as wireless internet access.
When you use your Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card for purchases, eligible items are covered against theft or accidental damage.
Your card also extends the manufacturer's warranty on eligible purchases.
- Annual fee of $250. The annual fee is higher than a typical travel card and occasional travelers may find it difficult to justify the cost.
- Must pay $39 per person to enter Delta Sky Club. Cardholders do not receive complimentary entrance to the Delta airport lounges. Instead, they must pay $39 per person for themselves and up to two guests (or spouses or domestic partners and children under 21).
- No 0% APR intro offer on purchases or balance transfers. This card does not provide an interest-free offer for new cardholders. Interest is charged on purchases if you carry a balance from month-to-month.
How does the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card compare to other cards?
While the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card offers many attractive benefits, it is not the only way to earn Delta SkyMiles. Here are a few alternative cards to consider before applying for the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card vs. Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card is a solid card for the occasional Delta traveler. It includes free checked bags for up to nine people traveling on the same itinerary — with checked bag fees of $30, that's a savings of $240 for a family of four on a round-trip flight. Plus, you can earn a $100 Delta flight credit after spending $10,000 each year. If you spend enough each year to earn that benefit, the flight credit offsets the annual fee.
How does it compare?
- Annual fee: $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99. (Better)
- Welcome offer: 40,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. (Worse)
- Rewards earned/$1 spent: $0.018 (Worse)
- Other benefits: First checked bag free, $100 Delta flight credit after spending $10,000, purchase benefits (Worse)
- Terms apply.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card vs. Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card is ideal for travelers who fly Delta regularly or those with larger annual spending habits. Cardholders receive complimentary access to Delta Sky Clubs (when flying Delta or its partners) and Centurion Lounges. They can also earn up to 60,000 MQMs based on their spending each year (15,000 MQMs per $30,000 spent). In addition, the annual companion certificate is good for any class of domestic flights.
How does it compare?
- Annual fee: $550 (Worse)
- Welcome offer: 50,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. (Better)
- Rewards earned/$1 spent: $0.014 (Worse)
- Other benefits: Earn up to 60,000 MQMs, MQD waiver, complimentary Delta Sky Club and Centurion Lounge access, annual companion certificate, upgrade priority for those with elite status, access to complimentary upgrades and trip delay protection (Better)
- Terms apply.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card vs. The Platinum Card® from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express is designed for frequent travelers. It earns 5X points on flights booked directly or through Amex Travel and includes complimentary airport lounge access at Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass lounges and Delta Sky Clubs (when flying Delta or a partner airline). Cardholders also receive automatic Hilton and Marriott Gold status and complimentary CLEAR membership (enrollment required). Although it has a $695 annual fee, the card's benefits and credits more than offset the cost.
How does it compare?
- Annual fee: $695 (Worse)
- Welcome offer: 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. (Better)
- Rewards earned/$1 spent: $0.023 (Better)
- Other benefits: Complimentary lounge access, annual credits and automatic Hilton and Marriott Gold status (enrollment required), up to $200 airline fee credit (enrollment required), up to $200 hotel credit when booked with Amex Travel, up to $10 in monthly Uber Cash ($20 in December) toward U.S. Uber rides and food purchases when you add the card to the Uber app, up to $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit (enrollment required), up to $240 digital entertainment credit (enrollment required) (Better)
- Terms apply.
Should you apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card?
If you’re a frequent traveler on Delta, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card would be an ideal credit card for you. The card comes with a ton of perks worth multiple times its annual fee, including 3x miles per dollar on Delta purchase, an annual companion certificate and free checked bags whenever you fly Delta. The status boost feature is also worthwhile for those trying to earn status: You'll receive up to 20,000 MQMs per year based on your spending.
However, the card may be hard to justify for the occasional Delta traveler, as you may not get enough value out of the card's perks to recoup the high $250 annual fee. Travelers who prefer to fly a variety of airlines would most likely be better off with a different travel card that has flexible points or a lower annual fee, such as the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card or the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card FAQs
Does the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card get you Medallion status?
You don’t automatically qualify for Medallion status with the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card — however, you can get there faster based on your spending. You'll receive 5,000 Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) after meeting your minimum spending requirements. Plus, you'll earn 10,000 MQMs after spending $25,000 each year; when you spend $50,000, you'll earn the maximum of 20,000 MQMs for the year. In addition, spending $25,000 each year qualifies you for a Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) waiver.
Is it worth upgrading to the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card?
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card offers valuable benefits for frequent travelers on Delta. It can help you qualify for elite status based on your annual spending and provides a companion certificate upon renewal. If you already have an existing Delta SkyMiles credit card, instead of upgrading your current card, consider applying for a new Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card so you can qualify for a welcome offer.
Does the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card cover travel insurance?
While they don’t cover every situation, this card does offer benefits that can protect you while traveling. These include benefits like secondary rental car insurance, trip delay insurance and baggage insurance.
Does the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card include concierge services?
No, this card does not include concierge services. However, it does have access to a 24/7 Global Assist Hotline. If you want concierge services, you should consider applying for the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card.
How does the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card companion ticket work?
The Delta Platinum companion ticket can be used on domestic Main Cabin tickets within the 48 contiguous states. To use this benefit, go to Delta.com/redeem. Your ticket will be full price, while the companion ticket only pays for taxes and fees of up to $75. The companion ticket does not work with award tickets. Depending on the price of your tickets, the savings can be significant.
What is the annual fee on the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card?
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card has an annual fee of $250. Benefits include a Global Entry or TSA Precheck reimbursement, bonus points on eligible purchases and the ability to earn up to 20,000 MQMs and an MQD waiver based on your spending. This fee also includes an annual companion ticket every year that you renew the card. Depending on how it’s used, the savings from the companion ticket could justify paying the annual fee.
Can I upgrade my Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card to Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card?
Yes — because both cards earn Delta SkyMiles, it is possible to upgrade your Delta SkyMiles card to Platinum. You can do this by calling customer service or looking for targeted upgrade offers when logged into your account. However, because existing or previous cardholders are not eligible for a welcome offer, you may be better off closing your Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card and applying for the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card.
Is the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card metal?
Yes, ever since Delta and American Express re-launched the Delta SkyMiles American Express Cards in January 2020, both the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card and the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card were made of metal.
What credit score do you need for the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card?
To get approved for the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card, you should have Excellent/Good credit. This means that you should have a credit score of at least 660 before you apply. To increase your odds of approval, consider taking steps to increase your credit score before applying.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.