Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
One of the big benefits of owning a small business is the ability to leverage your business spending into free travel. You can earn rewards for major business purchases such as advertising, computers and office supplies — then simply cash those points or miles in to fly to a client meeting, stay at your favorite beach hotel or attend an annual conference or business retreat.
And the benefits go beyond free trips — a business credit card for travel may offer a variety of perks, from airport lounge access and airline or hotel elite status to travel credits that reimburse you for checked bag fees and in-flight drinks. We've reviewed a variety of small business travel credit cards on ValuePenguin and top issuer sites to give you the most valuable picks for different goals, priorities and types of businesses.
Compare the best business credit cards for travel of 2022
Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card
|Earn 80,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.||720 - 850||$199|
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
|Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $4,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.||660 - 850||$550|
Not available on ValuePenguin
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
|Earn 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, you can earn up to $130 in Statement Credits on eligible purchases made on the Card at any of the Hilton family hotels in the first 12 months of Membership. Offer expires 7/6/2022.||660 - 850||$95|
Not available on ValuePenguin
View more cards
Credit Score Needed
Best business credit card for travel and airline miles
Southwest<sup>®</sup> Rapid Rewards<sup>®</sup> Performance Business Credit Card
Earn 80,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Earn 80,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- 9,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
- Earn 4X points on Southwest® purchases.
- Earn 3X points on Rapid Rewards® hotel and car partners.
- Earn 2X points on rideshare.
- Earn 2X points on social media and search engine advertising, internet, cable, and phone services and 1X points on all other purchases.
- 4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® Fee Credit.
The Southwest® Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card could be a great card for small business owners who fly Southwest frequently and want a big boost toward earning the Southwest Companion Pass. You currently need to earn 125,000 Rapid Rewards points in a year to get the Companion Pass, and the welcome bonus on this card offers a great start.
The card also offers bonus earnings on Southwest purchases and in many popular business categories. It's a good choice for business owners loyal to Southwest Airlines who know they'll get enough value from the perks to more than make up for a $199 annual fee — double what some other business travel cards charge.
- Get 9,000 bonus points after your cardmember anniversary each year
- Earn Earn 4 points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases. Earn 3 points per $1 spent on Rapid Rewards® hotel and car rental partners. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on local transit and commuting, including rideshare. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on social media and search engine advertising, internet, cable, and phone services. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Get a $100 TSA PreCheck® or Global Entry credit every four years
- Get four free seat upgrades per year when better seats are available
- Get up to 365 free in-flight Wi-Fi credits each year
- $0 foreign transaction fees
- The card really makes sense only for very loyal Southwest customers
- There's a hefty $199 annual fee charged to your card each year
- Not the best option for financing a big business purchase or balance transfer, since there is no 0% introductory offer
Best business credit card for travel and airline perks
Delta SkyMiles<sup>®</sup> Reserve Business American Express Card
Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $4,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Welcome Offer: Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $4,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- With complimentary access into Delta Sky Club®, you can relax before your Delta flight, or find downtime between connections. You’ll also receive two Delta Sky Club One-Time Guest Passes each year so you can share the experience with others when you’re traveling together.
- When you purchase a Delta flight with your Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card, you will receive complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge or Escape Lounge – The Centurion® Studio Partner.
- After you spend $150,000 on your Card in a calendar year, you earn 1.5 miles per dollar (that’s an extra half mile per dollar) on eligible purchases the rest of the year. If your purchase qualifies for a category that has a higher mileage accelerator, only the higher accelerator will apply (ex. you would earn 3X miles on purchases made directly with Delta instead of 1.5X).
- Plus enjoy 3X miles per dollar on all eligible Delta purchases.
- With Status Boost®, earn 15,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to 4x per year getting you closer to Medallion Status.
- Terms and limitations apply.
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card may be a great match for business owners who travel frequently on Delta Air Lines and don't mind paying a high annual fee to get a card that's loaded with perks. In addition to airport lounge access, one of our favorite features of this card is the annual companion certificate that allows you to bring a travel companion with you in first class for no more than $75 in taxes and fees.
This card is good for businesses that spend a lot, are very loyal to Delta Air Lines and want a boost toward earning Delta elite status.
- Earn 3 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta. and on every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with hotels.
- Get a Domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+ or main cabin round trip companion certificate each year after you renew card membership.
- Access to Amex Centurion Lounges when you book your flight with your card and to Delta Sky Clubs when you're flying Delta Airlines, plus two Delta Sky Club one-time guest passes per year so you can treat companions to lounge access
- Get first checked bag free and Main Cabin Priority 1 boarding on Delta flights, as well as access to complementary upgrades after Medallion members (if you don't have Medallion status)
- Earn 15,000 MQMs when you spend $30,000 on your card in a calendar year, up to four times per year, getting you closer to elite status
- Get an application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® every four years (4 ½ years for TSA PreCheck®)
- An array of travel benefits, including concierge service, car rental insurance, baggage coverage and trip insurance
- Foreign transaction fees: None
- Terms apply
- The annual fee of $550 is on the high end for a business travel card
- Not a good fit for businesses that aren't loyal to Delta or don't care about Delta elite status
- Offers limited flexibility in redeeming rewards, compared with cards that have transferable points, since you're limited to Delta and Delta partner airlines
- Won't work well for those with side hustles or other small businesses with low to modest expenses
Best business credit card for travel and hotel rewards
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
Earn 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, you can earn up to $130 in Statement Credits on eligible purchases made on the Card at any of the Hilton family hotels in the first 12 months of Membership. Offer expires 7/6/2022.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, you can earn up to $130 in Statement Credits on eligible purchases made on the Card at any of the Hilton family hotels in the first 12 months of Membership. Offer expires 7/6/2022.
- Earn Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card: 12X at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio, 6X at US gas stations, on US purchases for shipping, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from US service providers, on flights booked directly with airlines or with Amex Travel, on car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies, and at US restaurants, 3X on all other eligible purchases.
- Enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Gold Status with your Hilton Honors Business Card.
- Earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Earn another Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend an additional $45,000 in purchases on your Card in the same calendar year.
- Terms apply.
If you travel frequently for business and often stay at Hilton hotels, The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card may be the small business travel credit card for you. The card stands out for its solid welcome offer, generous rewards earnings structure and automatic Hilton Gold elite status, which can be upgraded to Hilton Diamond status if you spend enough each year.
The card may be an excellent match for Hilton loyalist business owners who have high expenses, are willing to pay a modest annual fee and value Hilton elite status and all its perks. The complimentary Gold Status alone is worth $1,450 — and Diamond status worth $3,180 — by our Hilton Honors status value calculations.
- Competitive welcome offer
- Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold Status, with the ability to upgrade to Diamond Status based on annual spending
- Earn 12X at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio, 6X on Select Business & Travel Purchases, 3X Everywhere Else. Terms & Limitations Apply.
- 10 free Priority Pass visits that can be redeemed at over 1,200 airport lounges
- Free weekend night reward after you spend $15,000 on your card in a calendar year, plus a second one if you reach $60,000 in annual spend
- Foreign transaction fees: None
- Terms apply
- A $95 annual fee could be a dealbreaker for business owners who don't want to pay an annual fee
- Only bigger spenders who put at least $40,000 a year on their card can qualify for Diamond Status
- Not the best match for businesses that aren't very loyal to Hilton brand hotels
For rates and fees of The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card, please click here.
Best business credit card for travel and travel points
Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card
Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 100k bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 cash back or $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year. Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
- With Fraud Protection your card transactions will be monitored for possible signs of fraudulent activity using real-time fraud monitoring
- With Zero Liability you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information
- Redeem points for cash back, gift cards, travel and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Purchase Protection covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account
The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card card may be the best business travel credit card for business owners who spend a lot and are looking for both high value and extreme flexibility in a card. The card earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points, giving you access to one of the best travel rewards programs available today and its variety of Ultimate Rewards transfer partners.
The card could work well for business owners who aren't loyal to one particular brand and want one go-to small business travel credit card.
- Extremely generous welcome bonus with tons of redemption flexibility, since you can transfer to Chase partner airlines and hotels
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases on travel, shipping purchases, Internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines each account anniversary year. Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases—with no limit to the amount you can earn.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem rewards through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal
- Travel and purchase coverage includes auto insurance, trip cancellation and interruption coverage, cell phone coverage, purchase protection and extended warranty
- $0 foreign transaction fees
- Unusually high minimum spend required to earn welcome bonus when compared to other small business travel credit cards
- A $95 annual fee could be a minus if you'd prefer a no-fee business travel card
- Not a great choice for balance transfers or financing, as there's no 0% introductory deal on the card
Best business credit card for travel and lounge access
The Business Platinum Card<sup>®</sup> from American Express
Earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Welcome Offer: Earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, 0% Intro APR for 12 months from the date of the account opening on purchases eligible for Pay Over Time. After that, your APR will be 14.99% to 22.99% based on your credit worthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com, and 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases.
- Earn 1.5X points on eligible purchases at US construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year.
- Unlock over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select purchases with your Card, including up to $400 with Dell Technologies, up to $360 with Indeed, up to $150 with Adobe and up to $120 on wireless telephone purchases. Enrollment required.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year toward baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- The American Express Global Lounge Collection® can provide an escape at the airport. With more than 1,400 airport lounges across 140 countries and counting, you have more lounge location options than any other credit card on the market as of 9/2021.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is one of the best business credit cards for travel available today. It could be an excellent choice for high-spending businesses that value luxury travel and don't mind paying a high annual fee for access to a wide range of valuable perks.
The card earns Amex Membership Rewards points, which gives you access to one of the top transferable points rewards programs — plus, it's loaded with travel benefits including airport lounge access and hotel elite status in two programs (enrollment required).
Note, unlike typical credit cards, the card allows you to carry a balance for certain charges, but not all.
- Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold Status and Gold Marriott Bonvoy elite status (enrollment required)
- Up to $400 in credits yearly for U.S. Dell Technologies purchases on your card when you enroll ahead of time (enrollment required)
- Access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection with over 1,300 airport lounges in more than 140 countries
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's an extra half point per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more.
- Get a 35% airline bonus when you use Membership Rewards Pay with Points to book all or part of an eligible fare, getting you up to 500,000 points back per year (enrollment required)
- Fee credit for Global Entry every four years or TSA PreCheck® every 4½ years
- Business Platinum Card Concierge offers travel planning service with counselors who can create custom itineraries and tailored recommendations
- Foreign transaction fees: None
- Terms apply
- A very high annual fee of $695 makes this the most expensive of all of our picks
- Lack of flexibility in travel rewards earning, since you'll need to book through Amex Travel to get 5 points per $1 spent on travel
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Best business credit card for travel and no-annual-fee
Bank of America<sup>®</sup> Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard<sup>®</sup> credit card
30,000 online bonus points after you make at least $3,000 in net purchases in the first 90 days of your account opening which can be redeemed for a $300 statement credit towards travel or dining-related purchases.
- Earn 30,000 online bonus points after you make at least $3,000 in net purchases in the first 90 days of your account opening which can be redeemed for a $300 statement credit towards travel or dining-related purchases.
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points for every $1 spent on all purchases everywhere, every time-no matter how much you spend. Points don't expire.
- Earn 3 points per every dollar spent on travel purchases (car, hotel, airline) booked through the Bank of America® Travel Center.
- No annual fee and no international transaction fees.
- 0% Introductory APR on purchases for your first 9 billing cycles. After the intro APR offer ends, a Variable APR that's currently 12.49% to 22.49% will apply.
- Redeem points for a statement credit to offset travel and dining-related purchases, travel with no blackout dates at the Bank of America Travel Center, cash back or gift cards.
- Earn up to 75% more points on every purchase, if you have a business checking account with Bank of America and qualify for our highest Preferred Rewards for Business tier. That means you could earn up to an unlimited 2.62 points per $1 spent on all purchases and up to 5.25 points per $1 spent at the Bank of America Travel Center.
- Contactless Cards - The security of a chip card, with the convenience of a tap.
- This offer may not be available if you leave this page or visit our website. You can take advantage of this offer when you apply now.
The Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card is a great basic small business credit card that charges $0 annual fee and offers a 0% Introductory APR on purchases for your first 9 billing cycles introductory deal.
It's great for small business owners who don't normally spend a lot, but want to finance a business purchase or transfer a balance from another card. The card also offers a solid rate of rewards earnings and some redemption flexibility. The card may work well for new business owners or those with a side gig.
- $0 annual fee makes it a good match for budget-minded business owners
- An introductory APR of 0% Introductory APR on purchases for your first 9 billing cycles after account opening makes this a good card for financing a big business purchase (then a 12.49% - 22.49% Variable APR on purchases applies)
- Earn 3 points per every dollar spent on travel purchases (car, hotel, airline) booked through the Bank of America® Travel Center. Earn unlimited 1.5 points for every $1 spent on all purchases everywhere, every time-no matter how much you spend. Points don't expire.
- Earn up to 75% more on purchases if you have a business checking account with Bank of America and qualify to be a Bank of America Preferred Rewards for business member
- Offers several options for redeeming points
- Foreign transaction fees: None
- Rewards redemption limited to Bank of America options, since there are no transfer partners
- Does not offer as many travel perks as some other featured business travel cards
How to choose a business credit card for travel
There are various factors to consider when picking a business credit card for travel. For example, look at:
Types of rewards
First decide whether you want to earn miles, hotel points or transferable points. For a comprehensive primer on the differences, pros and cons, check out our guide on what credit card points are worth.
A general rule is that transferable points are best for businesses seeking flexibility in how they redeem rewards, while miles or hotel points may work well for frequent travelers loyal to a particular airline or hotel. It is worth noting, however, that airline and hotel business rewards cards often offer automatic elite status with the brand or a boost to help you get status faster.
One of the most important considerations in choosing the best business credit card for you is how you fly and where you stay. This will allow you to eliminate cards right away if you're not already a loyal customer of the brand. If you're extremely loyal to one airline or hotel brand, you might choose a co-branded airline or hotel business travel card. If you prefer to mix things up in how you fly and where you stay, it may be better to choose a general business travel card.
A sign-up bonus is an especially important consideration for a business credit card. Owning a small business or having a side gig means you'll be spending money on business expenses ranging from advertising to office furniture, and that gives you enormous leverage in the points and miles game. A sign-up bonus is a major opportunity to maximize those earnings, so make sure you're getting a generous bonus that offers the most value for the way you travel.
Many business cards offer bonus earnings in popular business spending categories like cable, internet, office supplies and online advertising. Take a look at your business spending from the past year to guesstimate how many points or miles you might earn in that category on a business card. This does require a little legwork, but it could help you to see exactly which business card would allow you to maximize your earnings based on the way you spend in your business.
Foreign transaction fees
If you ever travel internationally, you'll want to look for a card with no foreign transaction fees. These sneaky fees typically tack about 3% onto each purchase made outside the United States, so they could add significantly to the cost of a business trip.
Many business cards for travel offer some travel insurance, which may include coverage for trip cancellations and delays, lost luggage and rental car liability. The specifics of the coverage offered can vary, so read the fine print and exclusions so you know exactly what is — and isn't — offered on a specific card.
Global Entry/TSA PreCheck® credits
Many of the best business credit cards for travel offer a credit that will cover your application fee for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®. This is a key benefit for business travelers who want to minimize waits in long lines and breeze through airport security.
Other travel benefits
Many business travel credit cards offer other travel-centric perks. These might include free checked bags or upgrades on a co-branded airline business travel card, or automatic elite status on a hotel business travel card. Some travel cards also have concierge service to help you plan your travel or book shows or dining reservations.
How to use a business credit card for travel
Now that you've chosen the best business travel credit card for you, let's make sure you know how to maximize its value. Here are six tips for making the most of a business travel card:
- Get familiar with the benefits and features. It pays to go over the terms and conditions to find out exactly what your card does — and doesn't — cover. Knowing what's included may help you make decisions, such as whether to purchase extra travel insurance for an upcoming business trip. It'll also prevent you from scrambling to figure out your lost luggage policy while you're standing in an airport with no toiletries or suit for your upcoming business meeting.
- Set goals for earning and using points. It's helpful to set a strategy for earning and using points or miles. Decide ahead of time what you're working toward — whether it's a trip to a conference for your team or a well-deserved CEO retreat for yourself — and figure out how many points or miles you'd need to get it. We recommend using a spreadsheet to track your points and the goal needed for your next trip.
- Shop ahead of time for award redemptions. Do some browsing before you earn your points or miles to see which rewards redemptions make the most sense for you. If your card has transferable points with a variety of travel partners, it's even more important to do your homework to get the maximum value for your points. Compare the number of miles required for your award trip on various airline partners to see who has the best deal.
- Consider pairing your business card with the right personal cards. One of the best ways to maximize rewards earning and redemption is to use a duo or trio of cards that includes a business credit card. Check out our guide to the best credit card combinations to learn more about which personal cards work well with which business travel cards.
- Take advantage of little known perks. Some small business travel credit cards offer free travel concierge services to offer recommendations and take administrative chores off your plate, making your trip planning that much easier. These services also may be useful if you're traveling abroad and need translation help ironing out a travel glitch.
- Take coverage details and numbers with you. If you plan to rely on your card for car rental or travel insurance, make sure you have the details of coverage and any relevant claims phone numbers with you when you travel. Put this info in your phone and another safe place so you have quick access if you need help.
The information related to The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card, Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card, Bank of America® Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard® credit card and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication. Terms apply to American Express credit card offers. See americanexpress.com for more information.