Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
Avis is one of the largest car rental services worldwide. They have over 5,000 offices across numerous countries and continents. Avis also has an attractive (and free!) rewards program but its vast offerings can get confusing. This comprehensive guide was designed to be easy to follow and address any questions you may have about Avis Car Rental and the Avis Preferred program.
- How to join Avis Preferred
- Avis status levels
- Avis rewards points
- Pairing credit card rewards and Avis rewards points
- How to reserve a car through Avis
- Avis car rental partner offers
- Miles, points and partners
- Avis mobile app
- Avis Flex
- Avis business rentals
- Avis car guide
- Avis FAQs
- ValuePenguin’s verdict
How to join Avis Preferred
The process of gaining membership is straightforward. First, you need to sign up online on the Avis website, with your credit card information and driver’s license number. After doing so, you'll receive an Avis Wizard Number. Think of your Wizard Number as an Avis Preferred Program membership number. This is the number you will be using to log into your account after you have been enrolled.
Avis status levels
Avis offers a loyalty program consisting of two levels: Avis Preferred and Avis Preferred Plus. The next two levels, Avis President’s Club and Avis Chairman’s Club, are by invitation only.
How to qualify
For $1 spent on rental...
For $1 spent on accessory...
|Avis Preferred||Free to join||Earn 1 Point||Earn 2 Points||Enjoy expedited service and go straight to your car at most locations.|
|Avis Preferred Plus||After 12 rentals or $5,000 spent||Earn 1.25 Points||Earn 2.5 Points||Receive complimentary upgrades (whenever available).
Earn 25%-50% more points for every qualifying dollar you spend.
Use a special Avis Preferred Plus number for reservations and customer service support.
|After 25 rentals or $7,000 spent||Earn 1.5 Points||Earn 3 Points|
|Avis President’s Club||By invitation only||Earn 1.5 Points||Earn 3 Points||Every time you book an intermediate or higher level car, automatically get a double upgrade (subject to available).
Earn 50% more points for every qualifying dollar you spend.
Dedicated 24/7 customer service.
|Avis Chairman’s Club||By invitation only||Earn 1.5 Points||Earn 3 Points||Meet-and-greet service when you fly into any major U.S. or Canadian airport location.
Personal return valet service.
Complimentary upgrade when you reserve an intermediate vehicle (group C) or larger.
Complimentary car delivery within 25 miles of a participating U.S. or Canada Avis location.
Dedicated 24/7 customer service.
Same benefits apply to your spouse or significant other.
Avis Preferred is free to join and has no minimum amount of spending or activity required to remain active, so there is no reason not to have an account. This program's main purpose is to serve as an express rental program, allowing you to skip the rental counter and begin driving your rental car quickly.
Once you're signed up, the process of renting a car from Avis is streamlined. You can find your name on a list at the rental location, find your car in its designated parking spot, show your license at the exit and you're on your way. You are also awarded points (minimum of 100 points with any rental) for all transactions with Avis. These points can then be redeemed for free rental days or accessories for your rental car.
Avis Preferred Plus
Avis Preferred Plus is earned by frequently using Avis for your rental needs. You get a complimentary one-class upgrade, as long as there is a qualifying car available.
The program's requirements are that you rent at least 12 times or spend a minimum of $5,000 within one calendar year. The added benefit of this status is that you earn 1.25 points per dollar when purchasing a rental and 2.5 points per dollar on accessories. After 25 rentals or spending $7,000 within one calendar year, you’ll lock in an even better return. You’ll earn 1.5 points per dollar on rentals and 3 points per dollar on accessories.
Avis President's Club
President's Club and Chairman's Club are the two highest levels of Avis' loyalty program and require an invitation. Avis President’s Club members will enjoy:
- Double upgrade: After booking an intermediate or higher level car, you'll automatically get a double upgrade whenever available.
- Guaranteed car: There will always be a car available, regardless of reservations.
- Accelerate your rewards: Receive 50% more points for every dollar you spend as part of the Avis Preferred program.
- Dedicated customer service line: Access to a 24/7 hotline to make reservations and receive personalized customer service.
Avis Chairman's Club
Avis Chairman’s Club has a range of benefits that define luxury, including:
- Meet-and-greet: An Avis representative will meet and escort you personally to your vehicle after you fly into any major U.S. or Canadian airport location.
- Personal return valet service: Inform Avis of your return and a representative will escort you to your departure terminal.
- Guaranteed vehicle availability: Regardless of reservations, there will always be a vehicle available for Chairman's Club members.
- Complimentary upgrade: After reserving an intermediate vehicle (Group C) or larger, you'll automatically receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available car.
- Complimentary car delivery: Vehicles can be delivered to you directly as long as you are within 25 miles of a participating Avis location in either the U.S. or Canada.
- Dedicated customer service line: Access to a 24/7 hotline to make reservations and receive personalized customer service.
- Spouse or significant other: Your life partner may pick up the vehicle on your behalf and all of the same benefits will still apply.
Avis points value
Avis offers a wealth of possible awards, including free rental days and vehicle accessories (e.g. GPS, radio, car seats, booster seats, starter cables and so on). Car rentals typically start at 700 points, while accessories can be accessed for as low as 250 points.
Free rental days are classified into four levels, based on the standard daily rate, date, car class and location. Therefore, it's important to know that the cost of the vehicle rental correlates with how many points you need to redeem:
Reward day level
Points per day
Standard daily rate
Point value (in cents)
|Level 1||700||Up to $50||Up to $0.07|
Pairing credit card rewards and Avis rewards points
One of the easiest ways to significantly increase the amount of value you are getting per dollar spent is to use a credit card with car rentals as a bonus category. There are many credit cards that offer double or triple points per dollar spent when spending on car rentals, on top of the points you earn with Avis.
Below are a few of our favorite credit cards that earn multiple points on car rentals:
Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. From 6/1/20 through 6/30/21, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Earn 3x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® is a premier travel credit card with a $550 annual fee that rewards you 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. If you book car rentals using this card, you’ll earn 3X Ultimate Rewards points since these bookings will code as travel purchases. Then, your points are worth 50% more for travel redemptions when booking through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, which can help you extract even more value from your purchases.
This card also comes with a number of complimentary valuable travel protections, including one of the best rental car insurance policies out there. When booking your car rental with the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card, you won’t have to pay for additional insurance through Avis. Instead, you’ll receive primary rental car coverage with your credit card, offering up to $75,000 in damage or theft protections.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
If you’re looking for a travel rewards card with $0 annual fee instead, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card is another solid option to consider. You’ll Earn 3X points on eating out, ordering in and popular streaming services, 3X points on gas stations, rideshares and transit, and 3X points on travel including flights, hotels, homestays and car rentals. Earn 1X points on other purchases. With plenty of bonus categories, you’ll not only earn points on travel purchases such as car rentals but on everyday purchases.
By booking your car rental on the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card, you’ll be protected with secondary insurance in North America for a maximum reimbursement of $50,000 per vehicle.
How to reserve a car through Avis
The process of reserving a car on Avis is user-friendly. The first step is to enter the basic information of your needs. This screen is available both on the homepage and if you click "Make a Reservation" under the "Reservations" tab in the main menu. (The main menu is located at the top of the website.)
Enter your pickup location, return location, dates and times, Avis Wizard Number and any discount codes you may have. The search box will provide you with a drop-down menu listing rental locations in the vicinity of the pickup and return locations that you selected.
After inputting your information, you should end up with a list of available rental options. You can sort this list in a variety of ways, including mileage, seats, price and Avis' own recommendations.
After you select a car, you will be prompted to either "Pay Later" or "Pay Now & Save." The latter option can save you up to 30% off the base rate (the "Pay Later" price). However, if you use the "Pay Now & Save" option, you will need to pay a fee if you need to cancel your reservation. If you select "Pay Later,” you would not need to pay a fee for the cancellation of your rental.
If you cancel your "Pay Now & Save" reservation at least 24 hours before the pickup time you specified, then you will be charged $50. If you cancel within 24 hours of your reservation, the fee will be increased to $150. If you do not show up for your prepaid reservation, then you will be charged the full rental amount. If you want to rent a car with the option of canceling the reservation later, then choose the "Pay Later" function. The price may be higher, but that gap is insignificant compared to potential fees of $50, $150 or paying the full rental price.
If you are looking for the most affordable options, you can sort the list from least to most expensive. Note that the price shown next to each car is the price of the total duration of the rental.
After you click "Pay Later" or "Pay Now & Save", you can select any extras you would like for your rental. Avis also provides discount packages, which group together related extras for a lower price, including the Protection & Safety package, Unlimited Protection with Wi-Fi and the Data Saver package. Prices are per day, so make sure you calculate the total cost of these packages. You can also buy parts of the package or extras that are not included. These can be found in the following tabs next to Discount Packages: Protections & Coverages, Equipment and Services.
The final screen displays your receipt and asks for your personal information. After inputting all the required personal and billing information, all you need to do is click "Reserve." The entire process of reserving a car on Avis is streamlined, user-friendly and quick.
Note that Avis does not require a deposit to reserve a car, but you must present a charge card at the time of rental.
Avis car rental partner offers
Avis partners with a variety of different companies to provide discounts and deals. These offers can be found on the homepage or by using the drop-down menu at the top of the page. Hover over "Offers" and click "Partner Offers" from the options that appear.
These offers change often, but here are the current options to provide you with a sense of the type of promotions that you can access:
- AARP: Members save up to 30%.
- Amazon: Customers save up to 30% off your rental, plus earn 10% back in an Amazon.com gift card.
- Extended Stay America Hotels: Save up to 30% off your next stay.
- MGM Resorts: Receive up to $75 in food and beverage credits for each night of your stay.
- Union Plus: Members and their families save up to 25% off.
- Veterans Advantage: Members save up to 25%.
- Zipcar: College students can join for $15 for the first year and get a $15 driving credit within one month of redemption.
Avis miles, points and partners
One of the most underutilized functions of Avis is their “Miles, Points & Partners” tab under "Cars & Services" in their main menu. Avis partners with a variety of airlines, hotels and other select companies to offer bonus points or miles and discounts to their loyalty program members.
For instance, American Airlines AAdvantage members can earn 500 miles per rental on all qualifying rentals at participating airport rental locations in the U.S. and many other countries. Also, World of Hyatt members can earn 500 World of Hyatt Bonus Points per rental. You don’t need to fly American Airlines or stay with Hyatt to earn these rewards. You only need to show your membership number at the time of your rental to gain access to those benefits.
Avis airline and hotel partners
Avis has over 60+ partnerships with airline and hotel loyalty programs to help you earn even more points and miles:
Frequent flyer program
|Airline partners||Aer Lingus AerClub||Earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on Avis car rental|
|Air Astana Nomad Club||Earn up to 3,000 points on a qualifying rental|
|Air Canada Aeroplan||Earn 500 Aeroplan points at participating airport locations and 250 Aeroplan points at participating off-airport locations on qualifying rentals|
|Air China Phoenixmiles||Earn 200 miles per rental on corporate contracted rates and 400 miles per rental on other qualifying rates|
|Air France/KLM Flying Blue||Earn up to 600 Flying Blue Miles on every Avis rental|
|AirBaltic Club||Earn 500 pins per qualifying rental|
|Alaska Airlines MileagePlan||Earn 50 Mileage Plan miles per rental day on all qualifying rentals or 500 miles on qualifying rentals of 5 or more days|
|Alitalia MilleMiglia||Earn 300 miles for each rental in Italy or Abroad on domestic and international rates|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||Earn 500 miles per rental on all qualifying rentals at participating airport rental locations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean|
|ANA Mileage Club||Earn 100 miles per day, up to 500 miles per qualifying rental|
|Asia Miles||Earn up to 500 Miles on all qualifying rentals|
|Austrian Airlines Miles & More||Earn 500 miles for each Avis rental|
Avis mobile app
To make your car rental experience even easier, download the Avis mobile app on your phone. With the Avis app, you'll be able to:
- Create or view a reservation. You can book a rental, make changes or cancel your reservation and even exchange or upgrade your car — even before pickup. To complete your reservation, you can also return your car on the app.
- View and share rental receipts. Easily retrieve your rental receipt and share it with anyone.
- Manage your Avis Preferred preferences. You can toggle your preferences on vehicles, location, add-ons, protection and coverages through your Avis Preferred profile.
- Find parking spots and gas stations near you. You can find open parking spots near your destination and reserve a spot with the credit card on file. Also, you can find gas stations near you to fill up before your rental ends.
For monthly rentals, the Avis Flex program allows you to rent an Avis car with considerable discounts. This is the perfect solution for those looking for a short-term auto lease — you will also forgo any leasing and ownership fees, such as vehicle registration or car maintenance. You can even book one-way rentals through Avis Flex — perfect for long road trips or moves when you don't plan on returning to your starting location.
Above all, Avis Flex guarantees better rates the longer you rent. To get started, you must rent for a minimum of one month to no longer than 11 months at a time. You can call 1-800-524-9000 or book your Avis Flex rental through the Avis mobile app. If you opt for the latter option, you can even choose your exact make and model of your car on the app. If you ever want to change your car, you can schedule a vehicle swap with the rental location where you picked up your original car.
Avis business rentals
"Avis For Business" was designed to benefit small businesses. As a member, you and your company will gain access to free rental days and exclusive discounts each time you or your employees rent a vehicle with Avis. The more rentals your company completes, the greater the rewards that your company will receive. Here are some of the perks that you can expect to have after signing up for Avis For Business:
- One reward day after your first completed rental and for every 15 completed rental days.
- Up to 30% off base rates each time a vehicle is reserved with your discount code.
- Access to the Avis For Business member website where you can view all the rental activity and reward days for your company.
- Complimentary Avis Preferred membership to help avoid lines and paperwork.
- Dedicated customer service team that is a call or click away.
Avis car guide
The following list shows the examples of vehicles that you may expect when renting with Avis.
Example of available vehicles
|Full Size||Ford Fusion|
|Luxury special||Lincoln Continental|
|Convertible||Ford Mustang Convertible|
|Standard elite coupe||Dodge Charger R/T|
|Intermediate SUV||Ford Escape|
|Standard SUV||Ford Edge|
Avis Signature Series guide
Avis has a suite of luxury vehicles available for rent at select locations. Here are some example vehicles you may be able to rent:
Examples of available vehicles
- Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
- Jaguar XE
- Mercedes E 300 Sedan
- Volvo XC90
- Jaguar F-Pace
- GMC Yukon SLT
- Cadillac Escalade
Should I use a debit card or credit card to rent a car from Avis?
Debit cards are widely accepted at most U.S. Avis locations for payment, except for when renting premium vehicles and in certain locations (including the metropolitan New York tri-state area, Hartford, Conn., the Philadelphia metro area, Mississippi or Louisiana). However, you should consider making the purchase with a rewards credit card to rack up bonus points for your rental and to take advantage of the card’s car rental insurance (if it offers one).
What is the deposit for an Avis car rental?
There is no deposit when renting a vehicle with Avis. However, you must present either a debit or credit card at the time of rental.
Is there any Avis car rental program that caters to small businesses?
Yes: Avis for Business. This program offers benefits and savings for small business owners and their employees who rent a car with Avis. These rewards include: one reward day after your first completed rental and for every 15 completed rental days, 30% off base rates, access to the Avis For Business member website and dedicated customer service.
Is Avis Preferred free?
Yes. Avis Preferred is free to join.
Can my spouse drive an Avis rental car that's in my name?
Yes. Your spouse or life partner can drive any Avis rental car that was booked in your name, without any additional fees. They will also have access to all of your benefits. The only stipulation is that they must be over the age of 25 and have a valid driver's license at the time they drive the rental car. You can also have other individuals drive your vehicle for an additional fee per day.
Given the international presence of Avis and the fact that their loyalty program is free to join, becoming an Avis Preferred member is a no-brainer if you plan to rent a car with Avis. You will earn valuable points on your rentals that you can redeem for free rentals or accessories, plus you can work your way up the elite status ladder to earn better rewards and more perks. Additionally, Avis is partnered with many hotels and airlines, so you can potentially receive mileage or hotel bonus points through your car rentals, even when you don't actually stay at a hotel or fly on an airline.
The information related to Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.