About Quicken Loans
Quicken Loans was founded by Dan Gilbert in 1985, initially under the name Rock Financial. The company started as a brick-and-mortar lender with locations primarily in the Midwest. As Quicken Loans grew, it pivoted its focus to online lending and began to originate mortgages across the U.S.
See Mortgage Rate Quotes for Your Home
By clicking "See Rates" you'll be directed to our ultimate parent company, LendingTree. Based on your creditworthiness you may be matched with up to five different lenders.
In 2015, Quicken Loans introduced Rocket Mortgage, the industry's first 100% online mortgage experience. Today, 98% of Quicken Loans’ mortgages use the online platform.
Quicken Loans surpassed Wells Fargo in 2017 to become the nation’s largest home mortgage lender. The company continues to hold the honor, originating $145 billion in mortgages in 2019.
The company also scores high marks in customer service. J.D. Power has ranked Quicken Loans highest in mortgage origination satisfaction for 11 consecutive years. The Detroit-based company employs more than 19,000 workers and produces its loans from centers located in Detroit, Cleveland, Phoenix and Charlotte, N.C.
Quicken Loans Mortgage Products
(non-government loans that follow Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lending guidelines)
|15- and 30-year, fixed-rate|
|FHA loans||15- or 30-year, fixed-rate|
|Jumbo loans||fixed-rate financing up to $2 million|
Quicken Loans doesn’t currently offer mortgages guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to low- and moderate-income borrowers in rural areas.
Conventional loans: non-government loans that follow Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lending guidelines
- 15- and 30-year, fixed-rate
- offers YOURgage®: fixed-rate conventional loan with customizable terms ranging from 8 to 29 years
- minimum credit score: 620
- debt-to-income ratio (DTI): 50% or less
- down payment for fixed-rate options: 3%
- 15- or 30-year, fixed-rate
- minimum credit score: 580
- debt-to-income ratio (DTI): 31% or less
- down payment: 3.5%
- minimum credit score: 620
- debt-to-income ratio (DTI): 45% or less
- down payment: 3.5%
- VA certificate of eligibility confirming their military service
- fixed-rate financing up to $2 million
- down payment: at least 20%
|Cash-out refinance loans||conventional cash-out refinances to borrowers looking to access the equity in their homes|
|Rate-and-term refinance loans||reduced interest rate or change the term length of loan|
|FHA streamline refinance loans||FHA borrowers without an appraisal or the full documentation that’s required on conventional refinances|
|VA refinance loans||refinance up to 100% of the value or up to 120% cash out isn't planned|
Cash-out refinance loans
- conventional cash-out refinances to borrowers looking to access the equity in their homes
- reduced interest rate or change the term length of loan
FHA streamline refinance loans
- FHA borrowers without an appraisal or the full documentation that’s required on conventional refinances
VA refinance loans
- refinance up to 100% of the value or up to 120% cash out isn't planned
Special mortgage programs
Quicken Loans Mortgage Fees
Quicken Loans’ website doesn’t list the fee schedule for its loans. Typically for mortgages, though, borrowers can expect to pay between 0.5% to 1% of the loan amount in origination fees, and roughly 1% to 6% in total closing costs, depending on the loan size.
The interest rates on Quicken Loans products typically include discount points. To get the published rate, borrowers will need to pay an upfront fee at closing.
Quicken Loans Mortgage Customer Service
Quicken Loans is known for its outstanding customer service. The company has ranked highest in the J.D. Power U.S. Primary Mortgage Origination Satisfaction Study for 11 consecutive years. Additionally, Quicken Loans has ranked No. 1 in the J.D. Power U.S. Primary Mortgage Servicer Satisfaction Study for seven straight years. Quicken Loans services 99% of the mortgage loans it originates.
The company has a clear advantage over its competitors in customer service. Data from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) shows that the company receives a lower rate of mortgage-related complaints than other banks and lenders, especially considering its large loan volume.
Mortgage-Related Complaints at Major Banks, 2017-2019
Percentage of Total Originations Resulting in Complaints
2019 J.D. Power (based on 1,000-point scale)
|Bank of America||333,000||2,465||.74%||843|
How to apply for a Quicken Loans mortgage
- Loan application. Borrowers can apply for a mortgage using Quicken Loan’s digital platform, Rocket Mortgage, or with one of the company’s Home Loan Experts via phone. Borrowers who use Rocket Mortgage will create an account and can conduct the entire loan process online. The initial process is user-friendly and can take as few as two minutes to complete.
- Preapproval. Quicken Loans offers two levels of preapproval as a part of their Power Buying Process. Borrowers can receive a "Prequalified Approval" almost immediately through their Rocket Mortgage account or a "Verified Approval," based on income and asset verification, which is as strong as a cash offer when looking for homes. Typically, the company issues a Verified Approval within 24 hours of receiving a borrower’s paperwork.
- Locking in your interest rate. Loan applicants can take advantage of Quicken Loans’ Rate Shield program, which is a mortgage rate lock for up to 90 days. If the rate is lower when the borrower submits a purchase agreement, they will receive the reduced rate. At that time, the loan rate is locked for an additional 40 to 60 days.
- Loan processing. Borrowers using Rocket Mortgage technology can conduct the entire process online or through the app, including receiving loan disclosures, signing documents and submitting financial information. Quicken Loans eliminates paperwork by enabling customers to import their financial data. Rocket Mortgage allows borrowers to complete much of the process without speaking to anyone. However, the company’s home loan experts are available to anyone needing support. Customers can see real-time updates as the loan progresses.
- Appraisal process. Quicken Loans can arrange the property appraisal through a third party.
- Closing. Borrowers have the convenience of scheduling their closing online and will receive all terms and paperwork ahead of time through the Rocket Mortgage platform.
- Loan servicing. Quicken Loans services 99% of the loans they originate, so you’ll continue to experience their excellent customer service throughout the life of the loan.