The Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card is an entry-level card option for travelers loyal to the Marriott brand. As a cardholder, you'll earn rewards on purchases made at Marriott Bonvoy hotels as well as other qualifying travel purchases. Plus, this card charges no annual fee while offering zero foreign transaction fees and 15 elite night credits each year. Continue below for a breakdown of the card's features and benefits.
Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card: Solid Value for Entry-Level Bonvoy Loyalists
Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card
15.99% - 22.99% Variable
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card from CHASE® with no annual fee!
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 3X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy™.
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on other travel purchases (from airfare to taxis and trains).
- 1X point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits annually, qualifying you for Silver Elite Status. Restrictions apply.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Earn unlimited Marriott Bonvoy points and get Free Night Stays faster.
The Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card is a great choice for travelers who are loyal to the Bonvoy chain but don't spend enough — or stay at Marriott properties often enough— to justify getting one of the Marriott cards with an annual fee. With the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card, you'll still have the ability to earn Bonvoy points, but you'll miss out on some of the perks of the more expensive Bonvoy cards. However, this is an ideal card if you're mainly looking to earn points.
Marriott Bonvoy guides
Accelerated points on travel expenses
The main benefit of the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card is that it earns Bonvoy points on all of your purchases. With the card, you'll earn 3 points per dollar spent on purchases made at Bonvoy hotels, 2 points per dollar spent on travel purchases (a broad category that includes airfare, taxis, trains and more) and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases. You can redeem the Bonvoy points you earn for room upgrades, hotel night stays and other perks.
$0 Annual Fee
What sets the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card apart from other Bonvoy options is that it's annual fee is $0. In contrast, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card charges a $95 annual fee and the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card charges a $450 annual fee (see rates and fees). These cards earn more points per dollar on purchases at Bonvoy hotels, but they're only worth it for higher spenders. If you're a moderate spender (i.e., under $1,500 per month in spending) or new to the world of travel rewards, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card is a great choice.
No foreign transaction fees
Most credit cards without an annual fee charge foreign transaction fees on overseas purchases. However, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card is unique in that it doesn't charge an annual fee or any foreign transaction fees. As such, this is also a great entry-level travel credit card, even without the free hotel night benefit of other Marriott cards. For most people, the zero foreign transaction fees alone will make this card a solid companion on any international trip.
Solid welcome bonus for a no-fee card
The current welcome bonus on the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card is excellent for a no-fee card: Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. As you can see in the chart below, this is enough to get you one standard night at a Category 4 Marriott Bonvoy property (or, depending on your travel style, multiple nights at a lower-level property).
|Category||Off-peak (coming soon) price in points for one night||Standard price in points for one night||Peak (coming soon) price in points for one night|
Note that you won't be eligible for the welcome bonus on this card if you currently hold the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card or the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, or if you've received the welcome bonus on the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card or Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card in the past 24 months.
ValuePenguin's verdict: Good card for entry-level Marriott loyalists
In general, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card is a great card for people who stay at Marriott properties a few times a year and are moderate spenders. While you won't get statement credit or complimentary elite status with the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card, you'll be able to earn Bonvoy points on your everyday purchases and work your way toward redeeming them for a free hotel night or room upgrade. In addition, you'll benefit from 15 elite night credits toward status each year.
See reviews for other Marriott cards
Alternatives to the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card
The Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card may not be right for you if you're looking for a card that gives you a free hotel night — or if you don't want to earn points that can only be redeemed in one place. Below, we've put together a few other cards to consider.
Earn points that can be transferred to Bonvoy
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
15.99% - 22.99% Variable
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That's 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, you'll earn Chase Ultimate Rewards® points that can be transferred to a variety of travel partners, among which is Marriott Bonvoy. If you like staying at a variety of hotel chains and don't want to be locked into one loyalty program's rewards system, then this is a good choice for you. The card earns 2 points per dollar spent on travel and dining purchases and 1 point per dollar spent on everything else.
Transferable points on dining and grocery shopping
American Express® Gold Card
See Rates & Fees
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants worldwide. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X). Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
Like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card above, the American Express® Gold Card also earns points that can be transferred to Marriott. As a card in the American Express Membership Rewards® program, the American Express® Gold Card earns points that can be transferred to a host of hotel and airline providers. Plus, the American Express® Gold Card earns 4 points per dollar spent on dining and at supermarkets, 3 points per dollar spent on flights booked with airlines or on amextravel.com and 1 point per dollar spent on everything else.