Citi is an advertising partner.
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card features a fantastic rewards rate on IHG purchases as well as some great benefits such as free nights at eligible IHG hotels. With its current sign-up bonus, you can Earn 125,000 bonus points plus a Reward Night after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. However, if you’re looking for a versatile hotel or travel card, then it may not be right for you.
IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
15.99% - 22.99% Variable
- Earn 125,000 bonus points plus a Reward Night after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn up to 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®
Review: Our Thoughts on the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
The main draw of the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is its high rewards rate on IHG purchases: Earn up to 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. However, for this you sacrifice flexibility, as the points you earn with the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card have little value outside of being redeemed for IHG hotel bookings.
|Frequent IHG guests||Everyday purchases|
|Earning free hotel stays||Flexible rewards redemption|
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card offers one of the most desirable features of a hotel credit card—the ability to earn free nights. Cardholders who can use the annual free night should easily be able to recoup value equal to or greater than the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card's $89 annual fee.
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is great for those that often stay at IHG hotels and can use the perks associated with the Platinum Elite status, which cardholders get automatically. This comes with many useful benefits that can be invaluable to frequent travelers, like free room upgrades (under certain circumstances), priority check-in and extended check-out. These benefits are some of the best we've seen among hotel cards.
Bottom Line: The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is worth getting for those who can utilize its high rewards rate for IHG purchases, free anniversary nights and some of perks that come with having Platinum Elite status. However, it works best when paired with a card that offers a good rewards rate on everyday purchases and has flexible rewards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
Benefits and Features
Points can be used to book hotel stays or flights and can also be used to shop on IHG's online catalog or redeem gift cards. Using your points for anything but hotel bookings is usually not recommended because you’ll get less value back. For more information about other redemption options see our guide on the IHG Rewards Club program.
What is IHG?
IHG (InterContinental Hotels Group) is a massive hotel company with almost 5,300 hotels all over the world including brands such as:
- Staybridge Suites®
- Candlewood Suites®
- InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts
- Hotel Indigo®
- Even™ Hotels
- Holiday Inn®
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations®
- Crowne Plaza®
- Holiday Inn Resort®
- Holiday Inn Express®
One of the more desirable benefits that the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card offers is a free anniversary night at an eligible hotel that you can qualify for every year on the anniversary of your account opening. You only receive this benefit after you've had your card for a year, so you do not receive it when you open your account. This benefit can only be used at hotels with a point redemption level of 40,000 points or less, and expires after 12 months of being issued. The 40,000 point restriction only excludes very high-end hotels and still leaves more than 4,900 eligible locations.
IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card users can also receive a free night when they use their points to book four nights or more. This can be very valuable for those who book longer trips a few times a year. The downside is that to use this benefit, you must first amass quite a large amount of points—at least 30,000—which might take a while for some cardholders.
IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card cardholders automatically enjoy Platinum Elite status in the IHG Rewards Club. Normally to qualify for this, IHC Club members would need to stay 40 qualified night or earn 40,000 qualified points per calendar year. Platinum Elite status gets you 50% more point earnings only on points earned by being a IHG Rewards Club member-not to points earned by using the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card. Additional Platinum Elite perks include:
- Complimentary room upgrades (subject to availability)
- A $30 in-room spa credit when you stay at participating Kimpton Hotels
- Priority check-in
- Extended check out
With the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, you can receive a credit of up to $100 to cover the application fee for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®. This is a fairly common benefit among travel cards. Global Entry members get all the benefits of TSA Pre✓® as well as expedited entry when entering the U.S. We typically recommend travelers opt for Global Entry for the greater covered benefit.
How Does the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card Compare to Other Credit Cards?
It's hard to evaluate a card’s value without knowing how it stacks up to other options. For this reason we always recommend that you compare features when shopping for credit cards. Below, we have compared the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card to some of the best hotel credit cards currently available.
IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card vs Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
While the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card cannot match the rewards that the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card earns for IHG purchases, for all other spending it offers much higher rewards: 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide. When redeeming your points for travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards (UR) portal, it amounts to a 2.5% rewards rate. Furthermore, UR points are incredibly versatile as they can be transferred 1:1 with a number of travel and hotel partners. Ultimately the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card will be the better card for most, however those who frequent IHG hotels can still recoup excellent value with the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card and might consider getting both.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn a $50 statement credit towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Points are transferable to many leading airline and hotel loyalty programs.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card Review
The information related to the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card has been collected by ValuePenguin and have not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication. This offer and/or promotion may have since changed, expired, or is no longer available.