The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card will cost you a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99. Its counterparts, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card and the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card, cost substantially more at $250 and $550, respectively.
Review: There are much better options if you want Delta SkyMiles
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card offers unimpressive benefits for consumers. The card's primary benefits come in the form of spending rewards and bonuses that help consumers net additional SkyMiles® when using the card. Unfortunately however, these rewards don't really measure up when you compare it to other available options.
The rewards structure is pretty standard with double points on Delta airline affiliated purchases and single points otherwise. The welcome offer is fairly good: Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. There isn't much else that differentiates the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card from other airline credit cards.
Unfortunately the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card rests between having outstanding rewards for high spenders, or making practical sense for the budget conscience. With better options for both categories of consumers and travelers, it's just not a card we'd immediately recommend. As a purely spending rewards focused card, it is inferior to the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card and doesn't have enough affiliation related perks to make it a good supplemental card either.
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card Benefits And Features
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $50 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Earn now. Travel when you're ready. After you spend $10,000 in purchases in a calendar year, you will receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to inspire your next travel.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory Annual Fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
Assessing The Rewards
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card allows you to 6 points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels and 2 points on all other eligible purchases.. From a rewards rate perspective, this is a little better than average, allowing you to accumulate SkyMiles on some major purchase categories. However, it probably makes the most sense if you happen to be Delta SkyMiles® focused.
What Are SkyMiles® Worth?
On an average basis we value Delta SkyMiles at 1.2 cents per mile, though the actual rate may differ depending upon your travel plans. Used aggressively these miles can be worth significantly more, as mileage requirements for awards bookings typically do not scale in the way prices do for fares.