Citi is an advertising partner
Jump to: Read full review
- Sign-up bonus: $300 statement credit after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening
- Rewards: Earn 2% in Disney Rewards Dollars on card purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants and most Disney locations. Earn 1% on all your other card purchases.
- Annual fee: $49
- Special Disney Vacation financing: Enjoy an intro APR of 0% for the first 6 months on select Disney vacation packages from the date of purchase. After that a variable APR of 15.99% applies.
- Disney discount: Save 10% on select merchandise purchases at Disney store and shopDisney.com
Is the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card worth it?
For Disney superfans who frequent the parks and make Disney-related purchases often, the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card can be a nice option for saving money and making your Disney vacations more affordable. However, to determine whether or not this Disney card is truly worth it for you, you'll need to be comfortable with the Disney-only redemption options, a $49 annual fee and a 3% foreign transaction fee.
If these things are a deal breaker, you may want to consider Disney's no annual fee alternative, the Disney Rewards Visa® Credit Card, which offers similar rewards and perks.
Who is the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card best for?
The Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card is best for parents planning to take the family on Disney vacations and for general Disney enthusiasts. One of the top Chase Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card benefits is the Special Disney Vacation financing, which offers cardholders an intro APR of 0% for the first 6 months on select Disney vacation packages from the date of purchase, after that a variable APR of 15.99%. This can be incredibly valuable for those planning a Disney trip who are looking for ways to make their vacation more affordable.
$300 statement credit
New cardholders can earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
This sign-up bonus is highly valuable and easily attainable for consumers who frequently make purchases on their card. Also a big plus: Unlike the card’s regular rewards, the sign-up bonus is doled out as a credit on your monthly statement, so you don’t have to put any effort into redeeming it.
It's worth noting, however, that this bonus is only available to cardmembers who do not already have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.
Earn 2% on gas, groceries and Disney
Rather than cash back, the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card earns users Disney Rewards Dollars with every purchase they make.
You Earn 2% in Disney Rewards Dollars on card purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants and most Disney locations. Earn 1% on all your other card purchases. There are no limits to the number of Rewards Dollars you can earn.
While these are valuable everyday earning categories, you're limited on how you can redeem your rewards, which minimizes their value (more on that below). In fact, a decent cashback credit card, such as the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer or Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card, can give you similar earnings with more flexibility. These cards offer cash back that you can spend on anything you please — you're not only limited to Disney purchases and flight statement credits.
Redeeming Disney Rewards Dollars
Unfortunately, redemption options with the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card are very limiting. When it comes to redeeming your Disney Rewards Dollars, you have two options:
- Disney-related purchases
- Statement credits towards airline travel
The option to redeem your rewards for airline travel provides this card with a little versatility. You'll need to purchase your flight on any airline to any destination using your card. You can then pay yourself back by redeeming your rewards as a statement credit within 60 days. Redemptions start at 50 Disney Rewards Dollars for a $50 airline statement credit and each additional reward is redeemable for a $1 statement credit. This means the value of 1 Disney Reward Dollar is $1, a solid redemption rate for consumers.
Alternatively, if you choose to redeem your rewards for Disney-related purchases, you have the following redemption options:
- Select Disney parks and resorts: Use your rewards for Disney Theme Park tickets, resort stays, dining and shopping.
- Disney movies: Redeem your rewards for tickets to Disney and Star Wars movies at participating theaters.
- Disney Cruise Line: Redeem your rewards for Disney Cruise Line packages and onboard purchases.
- Disney store: Use your rewards towards purchases made at the Disney store or on shopDisney.com.
Unfortunately, the process for redeeming your rewards for these options is a bit complicated:
- You'll first need to pick up a Disney Rewards Redemption Card — either at the park, through DisneyRewards.com or by calling 800-300-8575.
- If you want to request a redemption card in advance, it may take time to arrive: The terms and conditions suggest at least two to three weeks, and possibly longer in some cases.
- You have to accumulate at least 20 Disney Rewards Dollars to request a redemption card. You can then reload it at any time in increments of 10 Rewards Dollars.
On the bright side, once your rewards are transferred to a redemption card, they won’t expire — however, you will have to jump through some hoops to get them there. If you want more flexible rewards that you can apply toward Disney purchases, you might opt for a cashback card instead.
10% Disney discount
When you use your Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card to make select Disney or Star Wars purchases at Disney stores or shopDisney.com, you get a 10% discount. You can also get 10% off merchandise purchases when you spend $50 or more at select locations and 10% off select dining locations most days at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts, though exclusions apply.
While this seems like a great offer at first glance, many hot-ticket items are excluded from this benefit.
Not included in the 10% discount:
- Theme park tickets
- Disney gift cards
- D23 memberships and merchandise
- Books and media
- Art and collectibles
- Electronic toys
- Limited edition, special edition and limited release merchandise
- Select Star Wars: The Mandalorian merchandise
- CDs, DVDs & Blu-ray
- Video Games
- A number of brands including ALEX AND ANI®, Barbie Signature Collection, Disney Vacation Club®, Jim Shore, Kate Spade and many others
And there are more exclusions than this – visit the card website to view the full list of exclusions.
0% on Disney Vacations
Cardholders can take advantage of an intro APR of 0% for the first 6 months when you use your Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card to pay for select Disney Vacation packages. After that, a variable APR of 15.99% applies. This benefit can be extremely useful for those hoping to pay off their Disney vacation over time without needing to worry about exorbitant interest fees. Eligible vacation packages include:
- Disney cruises
- Adventures by Disney® packages
- Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa
- Ko Olina, Hawai’i vacation packages
Click here for the full list of qualifying Disney vacation packages.
While this can certainly be a valuable perk, you should beware of financing a vacation you can’t afford to pay off before the intro period expires — you’ll have to pay a high interest rate on your remaining balance.
Prospective cardholders shouldn't overlook the Disney perks and additional benefits that come with this card. Perks like the option to choose a special Disney card design may be among the card's most persuasive features for true Disney fans.
- Disney tours: Cardholders will get 15% off the non-discounted price of select guided tours at Disneyland® (including Walk in Walt's Disneyland® Footsteps, Disney's Happiest Haunts Tour, and "Holiday Time at Disneyland®" Tour) and Walt Disney World® Resorts (including tours at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park, and other theme parks, backstage areas and resort hotels) when you pay using your card.
- Photo opportunities: Cardmembers will have access to private photo opportunities at Walt Disney World® Resort and the Disneyland® Resort. You will receive complimentary photo downloads that are digitally enhanced with Disney or Star Wars characters to appear beside you.
- Store events: Cardmembers will receive access to exclusive events at Disney store U.S. locations. Cardholders must go online to reserve a pass for the desired event, and passes are first come first served.
- Disney card design: Choose from a variety of Disney credit card designs to reflect your favorite Disney characters
- Baggage delay insurance: This benefit provides you with reimbursement of up to $100 per day for three days for essential purchases, including things like toiletries and clothing, when your baggage is delayed by over six hours.
- Credit card purchase protection: When you pay using your card, your purchases will be protected against damage or theft for 120 days. Coverage is up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Extended warranty protection: When you pay using your card, the warranty on your purchases will be extended by an additional year from the original U.S. manufacturer. This applies to eligible warranties of three years or less.
- Cardholders can enjoy a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for one year with DashPass, DoorDash and Caviar. After that, you’re automatically enrolled in DashPass at the current monthly rate. Activate by Dec. 31, 2021.
- Few non-Disney redemption options: If you're not a genuine Disney enthusiast, you may not get much value from the redemption options offered by this card. While there are plenty of ways to redeem your rewards for Disney-related purchases, your only other option for using your Disney Rewards Dollars is redeeming for flight purchases as a statement credit. You may want to consider other travel rewards cards that offer more flexible and valuable ways to redeem points for flights and save on your overall fare (a cashback card is another possible option).
- Too many restrictions on rewards and discounts: Though the card comes with several options for discounts on Disney purchases, those discounts are severely restricted and come with a long list of exclusions. Furthermore, rewards on this card expire five years after the month they were first earned, though transferring them onto a Redemption Card (which you’ll need to do prior to using them for Disney purchases) allows them to last longer. This could also be a turnoff for some card users, as it further complicates rewards redemption.
- Annual fee: Though the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card charges a relatively low annual fee of $49, this may still be off-putting to some consumers. Especially since the Disney Rewards Visa® Credit Card has no annual fee and offers similar Disney credit card perks, rewards rates and benefits.
- Foreign transaction fees: For many Disney fans, the possibility of visiting Disney parks throughout the world is enticing. With international locations in Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai, cardholders may be disappointed to discover the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card charges a 3% foreign transaction fee on all purchases made outside the U.S. Though it might not seem like much, those fees can really add up while on vacation.
How Does the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card compare to other credit cards?
Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card vs. Disney Rewards Visa® Credit Card
Verdict: You'll get more value from this no-annual-fee Disney card.
The Disney Rewards Visa® Credit Card is the no-annual-fee version of the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card. The cards’ rewards are worth less:
- You only Earn 1% in Disney Rewards Dollars on all card purchases. with the Disney Rewards Visa® Credit Card.
- The sign-up bonus is significantly lower: $150 statement credit after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening with a new Disney Visa Card.
However, the rest of its benefits are the same. Given all the restrictions that come with Disney Rewards Dollars, we think you’re better off going with the Disney Rewards Visa® Credit Card. You can enjoy the remainder of its perks without having to pay an annual fee.
Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card vs. Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
Verdict: A more practical alternative to the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card
If you don't mind losing out on Disney-specific perks and redemption options, you may want to consider the Citi® Double Cash Card . The card lets users Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases. The Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card only matches that rate on gas, grocery, and restaurant shopping in Rewards Dollars that come with many restrictions.
However, the Citi® Double Cash Card doesn't include a sign-up bonus or any Disney-related benefits. That said, you’ll still get more value from everyday spending in the form of cash back, which you can then apply to Disney purchases or anything else.
Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card vs. Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
Verdict: Offers a higher earning rate and more flexible rewards with no annual fee
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers stronger and more versatile rewards on everyday spending: 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%). 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores. 1% cash back on other purchases. Terms apply.
Rewards are easily redeemable as statement credits toward your purchases. Along with its practical rewards structure, this card also has a $0 annual fee. While the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express doesn't offer any Disney-specific perks, its overall value is greater than the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card.
Should you get the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card?
If you’re a die-hard Disney fan who frequently makes Disney purchases, or you’re planning to take your family on a Disney vacation and could use assistance financing your trip, the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card could be a good choice. That said, for most consumers who don't make Disney purchases frequently enough to warrant a rewards card that primarily offers Disney-related redemption options and benefits, other cashback or travel rewards — even another Chase Disney credit card may be preferable.
For example, there are plenty of other, non-Disney specific credit card options that will offer better rates on cashback or travel rewards, and even longer intro APR periods which would apply to all purchases, not just Disney vacation packages. There’s also the Disney Rewards Visa® Credit Card, which offers similar Disney perks and rewards for no annual fee.
Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card FAQs
Is the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card worth it?
The Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card could be worth it for consumers who are only interested in earning and redeeming Disney-related rewards. For those looking for a valuable everyday credit card, the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card is probably not worth it.
How to upgrade to the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card?
If you currently own the Disney Rewards Visa® Credit Card, which does not charge an annual fee and therefore offers slightly lesser benefits, you can always upgrade to the Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card. Do this by calling Chase Card Services at 800-300-8575 or upgrading online.
How to redeem Disney credit card points?
You can redeem your Disney credit card points (known as Disney Rewards Dollars), for airfare as a statement credit on your account, or for a number of Disney-related purchases. To redeem for Disney purchases, you must first request a Disney Rewards Redemption Card. You can find more information on this topic above.
Do Disney credit card points expire?
Yes, Disney points expire five years after the month they were first earned, if they aren’t transferred to a Redemption Card or applied as an airline statement credit.
Do you need a credit card for Disney Plus?
You can sign up for Disney+ using PayPal, VISA, Mastercard and American Express. You also have the option to sign up using the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
How does the Disney credit card work?
The Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card earns rewards points for every dollar spent on the card. Those Disney Rewards Dollars can then be redeemed either as a statement credit for flight purchases or for a number of different Disney purchases.
What are the perks of a Disney credit card?
The Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card allows cardholders to Earn 2% in Disney Rewards Dollars on card purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants and most Disney locations. Earn 1% on all your other card purchases. There are also a number of other Disney credit card benefits, including a Disney vacation package financing offer, Disney Visa discounts on Disney purchases, access to private events and exclusive Disney photo opportunities.
How do you apply for a Disney credit card?
You can apply for a Disney credit card simply by going online and filling out an application. You will need to include basic personal information to begin the application process.
The information related to Disney Premier Visa® Credit Card and Disney Rewards Visa® Credit Card has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication. Terms apply to American Express credit card offers. See americanexpress.com for more information.