Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer.
The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is now offering one of the most generous sign-up bonuses in the card's history: Earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. The IHG points offered can be used for free hotel nights at any IHG property, which range from budget brands like Holiday Inn and Staybridge Suites, to luxury brands like Intercontinental and Regent. With over 5,000 locations across the globe, you will be hard-pressed to find a travel destination without an IHG hotel location.
IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card Bonus
IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
15.99% - 22.99% Variable
- Earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®
New cardholders can Earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. After you meet the $3,000 spending threshold, you will have (at least) 143,000 IHG points to spend on your next vacation. If you value IHG points at one-half cent per point, that works out to $715 in value.
IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card Benefits
While the sign-up bonus is lucrative, it isn’t the only benefit worth noting. The IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card is a great card to have when you are staying at IHG hotels. When you hold the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, you will have automatic IHG Elite Status — specifically Platinum Elite status. Platinum Elite status comes with the following benefits:
- Complimentary room upgrades
- Guaranteed room availability
- Extended checkout
- Priority check-in
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Welcome amenity
And at select properties, you will have access to perks like deferring housekeeping for additional IHG points and credit for the in-room mini bar and spa.
In addition to the valuable status, the card comes with a great list of benefits:
- 25 points per dollar on IHG stays
- 2 points per dollar on gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases
- 4th night free when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- 10,000 bonus points each account anniversary if you spend $20,000, plus 1 additional purchase after the said spending amount each year
- If you are short a few points for your next trip, you can purchase IHG points — and save 20% on the purchase price
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck Fee Credit, up to $100 every 4 years
- No foreign transaction fees
All of these benefits come at a reasonable $89 annual fee, which is very simple to earn back by using the card's perks.
How Many IHG Points Do You Need for a Free Night?
IHG points are valuable because they can be used at a long list of IHG properties for any type of vacation. Whether you are looking for a luxurious getaway with your significant other, a quick place to stay before an early morning flight or a fun vacation with your family — you will be able to find a property that fits your needs.
The chart below shows the required points for room awards at different levels of properties. Category 1 properties are budget properties like the Holiday Inn Lodz in Poland, while Category 13 properties are outstanding luxury properties like the Intercontinental in Sydney.
|Category of property||Points needed per night|
If you want to really stretch your points, there are times where IHG rooms are offered for as low as 5,000 points per night with IHG's PointsBreaks program. However, the asterisk on Category 13 indicates that rooms can go as high as 100,000 points during peak season. So be sure to use your points strategically to get the best value.
Applying for the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
To apply for the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, you will need to provide your basic information along with your IHG Rewards number. If you already have a membership number, be sure to add it. If you do not, a new number will be automatically created for you.
Keep in mind that if you currently have an IHG Rewards Club Credit Card, such as the IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card from Chase, or you have already earned a sign-up bonus for the same card within the last 24 months — you will not be eligible to earn another bonus.
Also, if you are over Chase's 5/24 rule, you may not qualify for this offer. The 5/24 rule is an unannounced rule from Chase that denies applications from people with five or more credit card approvals in the past 24 months (from any issuer). This discourages people from applying to simply earn the sign-up bonus and then cancel the card thereafter.
Should You Apply Now for the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card?
So with all of this information, should you apply? There are a few things to consider:
- Are you over or under Chase’s 5/24 rule? If you are over 5/24, you will have a small chance of getting the card. However, if you are under 5/24 — this card could be worth going after.
- Do you enjoy hotel stays/need hotel stays for upcoming travel? If so, this is an ideal time to apply for the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card. The sign-up bonus for this card frequently sits at only 80,000 points. With the current offer being nearly double that amount, you will be able to earn enough points for a getaway or two.
- Do you value hotel status? If yes, this is a great way to jump forward with status without earning it by staying in hotels. And if you stay in hotels frequently enough, you can continue to move up the ladder to Spire Elite status, which comes with even more benefits.
Overall, this is an outstanding sign-up offer coupled with a great credit card product for a very reasonable annual fee.