Business credit cards are great for managing your cash flow and earning rewards on your purchases. However, payments are usually due within 25 days of your statement closing. If you don’t pay off the balance, you start owing interest on the debt. With the Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce, you'll have an easier time aligning customer payments with your bills because you have 60 days interest-free before your payment is due.
Review: Our thoughts on the Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce
The Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce is designed for corporate e-commerce businesses that sell to consumers. This is a charge card that requires payment in full when the statement closes. Brex will automatically withdraw the balance due from your account, which can be a challenge for some businesses. However, some business owners will like that the card's approval is based on the business rather than their personal credit. Plus, there are no personal guarantees with Brex. When applying, you'll receive instant approval if you qualify. If approved, you'll receive your account number right away so you can start making purchases.
To open a Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce, you must:
- Have operated your e-commerce platform for one year or more.
- Have a proprietary brand.
- Not be a reseller or a marketplace.
- Have made more than $100,000 in net sales in the prior month.
- Have $20,000 or more in gross cash balances.
- Show that 50% of your revenue is business-to-consumer.
- Not have had more than three overdrafts in the previous 90 days.
Take note that sole proprietors are generally not eligible for this card.
What are the benefits of the Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce?
The Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce is a great way for businesses to build their credit. Even though Brex does not check an owner's credit or require a personal guarantee, credit lines are often higher with Brex compared to traditional bank credit cards. Brex offers credit lines of 50% to 100% of your projected monthly sales, with a cap of $5 million. With instant approval and the ability to use the Brex credit card right away, businesses can immediately take advantage of opportunities. Cardholders can choose between up to 60 days' worth of interest-free financing or the ability to earn rewards. Having two months between making a purchase and paying the bill is a big advantage over other business credit cards, whose payments are due within 25 days of the statement closing. There are three combinations of payment due dates and rewards earned:
- No rewards and 60 days' worth of interest-free financing
- 1 point per dollar spent and 30 days with no interest
- 1.5 points per dollar spent and payment due five days after purchase
If your needs change, Brex allows customers to change between these three options. The points earned can be used to purchase travel through the Brex Travel portal, redeemed for cash back and statement credits, or transferred to one of seven airline partners. Points are worth 1 cent each for cash back, statement credits and Brex Travel redemptions. When booking travel with Brex Travel, you can save up to 60% by taking advantage of Brex's corporate travel rates. Brex has partnered with airlines that represent each of the three major alliances (SkyTeam, oneworld and Star Alliance). Transfers to airline partners are on a 1:1 basis. The airline transfer partners are:
- Aeromexico Club Premier
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue
- Avianca LifeMiles
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Brex does not offer a sign-up bonus, but its perks are available when you first create your account. These discounts and free services are from many popular services, including:
- Amazon Web Services: $5,000 credit over a year
- Google Ads: Up to a $150 credit
- Zendesk: $436 credit a month for 12 months
- Payoneer: Extra 2% back on international payments
- Salesforce: 25% subscription discount
- Expensify: 50% discount for six months
Brex values these offers at more than $50,000, but you may place a different value on them depending on how many are applicable to your business.
How does the Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce compare to other credit cards?
While the Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce offers a lot of attractive benefits, it has its pros and cons relative to other popular business credit cards. Let's compare Brex against other cards that you may be considering.
Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce vs. Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card
The Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card is a cash-back card that earns up to 5% cash back on your spending. The first $25,000 in combined purchases each account anniversary year at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services earn 5%. You'll also earn 2% cash back on the first $25,000 in combined spending at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year. Earn 1% cash back on all other card purchases with no limit to the amount you can earn.
Like the Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce, there is a No Annual Fee annual fee, and additional cards for employees are free. The Chase card earns Ultimate Rewards points that can be redeemed for cash back, gift cards and travel. While Brex has seven airline transfer partners, Chase points can be transferred to three hotel and 10 airline partners.
Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card highlights
- 5% cash back at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services (on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases each year)
- 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants (on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases each year)
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
- No Annual Fee annual fee
- Free employee cards
- Redeem points for cash back, gift cards, travel and more
- Points can be transferred to hotel and airline transfer partners
- Travel and shopping protections
- Earn $500 bonus cash back after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce vs. American Express® Business Gold Card
The American Express® Business Gold Card offers rewards that adjust to your spending. You'll earn 4x Membership Rewards® points per dollar spent on the two categories in which you spend the most each month. As your spending changes, the bonuses change automatically. You can earn 4x Membership Rewards® points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending each calendar year, for a total of 600,000 points on those purchases. When redeeming points for flights through American Express Travel, you'll receive 25% of the points back at a maximum of 250,000 points each calendar year. American Express and Brex both allow cardholders to use points to book travel and transfer to partner airlines. However, Brex does not offer a rebate on the points used to book airfare. The American Express® Business Gold Card does charge a $295 annual fee, while the Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce doesn't.
American Express® Business Gold Card highlights
- 4x Membership Rewards® points per dollar spent on the two categories in which you spend the most each month
- 25% points back when booking flights using Pay with Points
- No foreign transaction fee
- $295 annual fee
- Membership Rewards® points can be used for statement credits, online shopping, booking travel or transferring to airline and hotel partners
- The Hotel Collection benefits: $100 hotel credit and complimentary room upgrade
- Travel protections
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.*
- Terms apply.
Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce vs. Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business
For pure cash back, it is hard to beat the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business. This business card earns an unlimited 2% cash back on all your purchases. There is no complicated earning structure or redemption rules. Simply use the credit card for purchases and redeem the rewards as cash back.
Rewards earned never expire, so you can redeem them anytime and for any amount. The card's annual fee is $0 Intro Annual Fee for the first year then $95. Additional credit cards for employees are available at no charge.
While both credit cards earn rewards, the Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce earns rewards that are more flexible. Brex cardholders can earn up to 1.5 points per dollar spent with no cap depending on how frequently statements close. The Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business offers an unlimited 2% cash back. Brex points can be used for cash back, travel or transfers to airline partners, while Capital One is strictly cash back.
Remember, there is an annual fee of $0 Intro Annual Fee for the first year then $95. However, you'll need to spend $4,750 just to break even in year two and beyond. In comparison, the the Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce charges a No Annual Fee, so every dollar in rewards you earn is yours to keep.
Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business highlights
- Unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases
- Redeem cash back anytime with no minimums
- $0 Intro Annual Fee for the first year then $95 annual fee
- No fee for employee cards
- No foreign transaction fee
- Includes Visa Business Benefits, such as a rental car collision damage waiver and purchase protection
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
When searching for the right business credit card for you, think about how you'll use it and what's most important. Do you want to avoid annual fees? How much will you spend on the credit card and in what categories? What perks are most important to you? How many authorized user cards will you need for employees? By answering these questions before beginning your search, it will be easier to find the perfect card for your business as you evaluate all of the available options. Enter your estimated monthly spending into our comparison tool below to learn which card is best for you.
The bottom line
The Brex Corporate Card for ECommerce can be a great card for the right business. There are no personal guarantees, and you'll receive a robust credit limit of 50% to 100% of your projected monthly sales. There is a No Annual Fee, and additional employee cards are free. You can choose to earn up to 1.5 points per dollar spent or have up to 60 days of interest-free financing based on your business needs and goals. The application is simple, and you'll have access to your account instantly to start using your card right away.
The information related to the Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.