Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
Citi is an advertising partner
Of the major consumer banks, Wells Fargo is one of the least established in the rewards credit card world. Continue reading below for a detailed look at the benefits and features of each card.
Best Flat-Rate Cashback Credit Card from Wells Fargo: Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card
Out of Wells Fargo's limited consumer credit card options, the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card is the best credit card for people looking for a flat-rate cashback card. The card lets you Earn unlimited 1.5% cash rewards on purchases, and has no annual fee. This isn't the highest rewards rate available on a flat-rate cashback card (see below), but it's competitive with offers like the Chase Freedom Unlimited®. You'll also get a decent welcome bonus: Earn a $150 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Best for People with Varied Expenses
If you have moderate travel or dining expenses, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card is the best Wells Fargo credit card for you. However, flat-rate cashback cards like the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card are great for people who don't spend in those bonus categories or who have unpredictable expenses. You'll Earn unlimited 1.5% cash rewards on purchases, and you won't have to track rotating bonus categories like with the Discover it® Cash Back or Chase Freedom Flex℠.
Intro Apr on Qualifying Balance Transfers and Purchases
Another perk of the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card is its 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on qualifying balance transfers and 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases, after which a higher APR of 14.49%-24.99% (Variable) applies. This is a great benefit for people who want to transfer high-interest debt from another card — or make a big purchase and pay it off in smaller chunks — and also get a card with decent rewards.
Best Flat-Rate Cashback Card from a Different Bank: Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
13.99% – 23.99% (Variable)
- Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time.
- Balance Transfer Offer: 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 13.99% – 23.99%, based on your creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back.
- If you transfer a balance, interest will be charged on your purchases unless you pay your entire balance (including balance transfers) by the due date each month.
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 13.99% – 23.99% based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer is one of our favorite cashback credit cards because you can Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases. Very few no-annual-fee cashback cards offer a rewards rate higher than 1.5%, so this is an excellent deal.
2% on Everything
Like the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card, the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer is best for people with varied expenses. Unlike with some other cashback cards, you won't have to activate rotating bonus categories to get a solid rewards rate on your purchases. As long as you pay your bill, you'll earn the full rate of cash back.
No Welcome Bonus
The only notable downside to the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer is that it doesn't come with a welcome bonus. For comparison, the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card comes with the following bonus: Earn a $150 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 on purchases in the first 3 months. However, the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer has better long-term value than the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card.
Best Balance Transfer and Low Intro APR Card from Wells Fargo: Wells Fargo Platinum card
Wells Fargo Platinum card
- 0% intro APR for 18 months from account opening on purchases and qualifying balance transfers, then a 16.49% to 24.49% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- $0 Annual Fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Monitor your spending, purchases and any suspicious activity with text and email alerts and notifications
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- Select "Apply Now" to learn more about the product features, terms and conditions
The Wells Fargo Platinum card is one of the best balance transfer and low APR cards available. It comes with an intro APR of 0% intro APR for 18 months on qualifying balance transfers and 0% intro APR for 18 months from account opening on purchases (then 16.49%-24.49% (Variable)). If you open the card to make a big purchase or transfer debt from an existing card, be mindful of paying off the balance before the introductory period expires. Otherwise, you'll be stuck paying a high APR of 16.49%-24.49% (Variable) on any remaining balance after the 0% offer ends.
The primary reason to open the Wells Fargo Platinum card is for the 0% balance transfer and APR offer. The card offers little else in the way of perks and benefits, and you won't get any rewards on your spending.
Best Balance Transfer Card from a Different Bank: Discover it® Balance Transfer
Our Thoughts on the Discover it® Balance Transfer
The Discover it® Balance Transfer is a top balance transfer option because it offers spending rewards through an excellent cashback rewards program.
Keep This One in Your Wallet
The Discover it® Balance Transfer is a good card. Like the standard Discover it® Cash Back, the Discover it® Balance Transfer lets you Earn 5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, select rideshares and online shopping, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically. In the past, these have included Amazon.com, groceries, gas stations, restaurants and others. For 2021, the categories include grocery stores, Walgreens and CVS (January-March), gas stations, select streaming services and wholesale clubs (April-June), restaurants and PayPal (July-September), Amazon.com, Target.com and Walmart.com (October-December).
The information related to the Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® card has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.