Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more. Citi is an advertising partner.
Top Visa credit cards of 2022
As the largest of all card networks, Visa credit cards are ubiquitous. From cards issued by your local credit union to premium travel credit cards from major banks, you can expect to see their familiar logo on a gigantic array of products. Choosing the best Visa credit card might sound like a daunting task.
Fortunately for you, we have boiled down the many options into a list of the best Visa credit cards for a variety of different uses. From cashback cards, to travel cards, to cards specifically designed for students, there are many options.
If you're wondering why there are different types of Visa cards, such as Visa Signature versus Visa Infinite, we'll cover that at the end of this guide.
Compare the best Visa credit cards of 2022
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
|Earn an extra 1.5% on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) — worth up to $300 cash back. That’s 6.5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 4.5% on dining and drugstores, and 3% on all other purchases.||660 - 850||$0|
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
|Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.||720 - 850||$95|
|Shopping at Costco||
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
|720 - 850||$0|
View more cards
Credit Score Needed
Best Visa credit card for cash back
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Earn an extra 1.5% on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) — worth up to $300 cash back. That’s 6.5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 4.5% on dining and drugstores, and 3% on all other purchases.
- INTRO OFFER: Earn an additional 1.5% cash back on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) - worth up to $300 cash back!
- Enjoy 6.5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more; 4.5% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and 3% on all other purchases (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year).
- After your first year or $20,000 spent, enjoy 5% cash back on Chase travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards®, 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. You can choose to receive a statement credit or direct deposit into most U.S. checking and savings accounts. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open!
- Enjoy 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24% - 25.99%.
- No annual fee – You won’t have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Freedom Unlimited® card
- Keep tabs on your credit health, Chase Credit Journey helps you monitor your credit with free access to your latest score, real-time alerts, and more.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® is an excellent Visa card choice for people who want a decent cash back rate on all purchases without paying an annual fee. The card lets you Enjoy 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more; 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and 1.5% on all other purchases The high rate of 1.5% on most purchases makes it a great option if you value simplicity. The welcome offer is enticing as well.
One cool feature is that you can actually transfer your cash back (as Ultimate Rewards points) to some Chase cards, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, which can allow you to use them in additional ways. The Chase Freedom Unlimited® is a standard Visa card.
Best Visa credit card for travel
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself BackSM, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers an excellent array of benefits for those who love travel. The Visa card's perks include earning 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases. Chase Ultimate Rewards points are great for those who love to travel because they can be transferred to one of many participating hotel or airline programs — including Southwest, United, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways and Hyatt.
As a Visa Signature card, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers other valuable benefits such as a primary car rental insurance, trip cancellation and interruption insurance and lost or delayed luggage insurance. Not all Visa Signature cards include these benefits, but those offered by the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, combined with this card's rewards program, make the card a great choice for travelers. The card does carry a $95 annual fee.
Best Visa credit card and store credit card
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
The Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card is a great choice for, you guessed it: shopping at Amazon. This card offers 5% back at Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market with an eligible Prime membership, 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores and 1% back on all other purchases. Additionally, the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card charges neither an annual fee nor foreign transaction fees. If you do a significant amount of shopping at either Amazon or Whole Foods, this card is a must-have. The card also lets you Get a $200 Amazon Gift Card instantly upon approval. Rewards can be redeemed for either Amazon purchases or for cash back in the form of a statement credit or electronic deposit.
The card is also a Visa Signature, offering a larger array of benefits than standard Visa cards, including travel and emergency assistance, lost luggage reimbursement, baggage delay insurance and travel accident insurance.
Best Visa credit card for Costco
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
- Discover one of Citi's best cash back rewards cards designed exclusively for Costco members
- 4% cash back on eligible gas and EV charging purchases for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter
- 3% cash back on restaurants and eligible travel purchases
- 2% cash back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- No annual fee with your paid Costco membership and enjoy no foreign transaction fees on purchases
- Receive an annual credit card reward certificate, which is redeemable for cash or merchandise at U.S. Costco warehouses, including Puerto Rico
The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi is an excellent option for people who frequently shop at Costco, but it is compelling even if you don't spend much at the nationwide warehouse club. The card earns 4% cash back on eligible gas and EV charging purchases for the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter, 3% on restaurants & travel, 2% at Costco & Costco.com, 1% on all other purchases.
The rewards structure makes this a great card for people who do the bulk of their shopping at Costco, as you have one card that is excellent for grocery, gas, dining out, and travel. You can also enjoy these earning rates without an annual fee, although the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi requires you to have a Costco membership.
The card also doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, which is not always the case for a standard Visa card. Rewards are provided as one lump-sum rewards certificate redeemable for cash or merchandise at Costco warehouse locations.
Best Visa credit card for small business
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 100k bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 cash back or $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year. Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
- With Fraud Protection your card transactions will be monitored for possible signs of fraudulent activity using real-time fraud monitoring
- With Zero Liability you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information
- Redeem points for cash back, gift cards, travel and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Purchase Protection covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account
The Chase Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card offers excellent rewards and a host of other benefits for the small business owner. The card lets you Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases on travel, shipping purchases, Internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines each account anniversary year. Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases—with no limit to the amount you can earn.
The card's massive welcome offer, earning structure and other card benefits, such as the ability to transfer points to Chase travel partners and a $600 cellphone insurance benefit make this one of the best Visa credit cards for small business owners. You can even add employee cards at no additional cost.
The Chase Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is a Visa Signature Business product.
Best Visa credit card for students
Chase Freedom® Student credit card
$50 Bonus after first purchase made within the first 3 months from account opening
- $50 Bonus after first purchase made within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 1% cash back on all purchases
- No annual fee
- $20 Good Standing Rewards after each account anniversary for up to 5 years
- Earn a credit limit increase after making 5 monthly payments on time within 10 months from account opening when meeting credit criteria
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open.
- Free credit score with Chase Credit Journey
The Chase Freedom® Student credit card is a great option for students who are looking to get a credit card in the valuable Chase Ultimate Rewards® ecosystem. You'll earn 5,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points after your first purchase, which can be redeemed for $50 in cash back. You will need to be a registered student to apply for this card, but if you are, you won't need to have a significant credit history to be approved. You'll also get $20 each year if your account is in good standing, and the possibility of a credit limit increase if you make five monthly payments on time within 10 months of opening the card.
Types of Visa credit cards
Not all Visa credit cards are created equal. This is something consumers might nor realize at first glance, but it is important to understand. Currently, there are three major types of Visa cards on the U.S. market: Visa, Visa Signature® and Visa Infinite®.
Visa cards can come equipped with vastly different benefits, even within one type. One bank's Visa Signature might differ from a Visa Signature from another card issuer. If a specific Visa perk sold you on the idea of getting one of these card types, you should verify that this benefit is available on a Visa card that appeals to you.
Below we outline some of the most important benefits for each type of Visa card.
This is the standard, boilerplate type of Visa credit card, sometimes referred to as a Visa Traditional. With a basic Visa you will get the standard benefits that you get with almost any other credit card network, such as:
- Zero fraud liability
- Lost or stolen card reporting
- Roadside Dispatch®
Visa Signature credit cards come with the benefits of a Visa Traditional card plus an increased array of benefits, typically including:
- Additional travel and emergency assistance services
- Extended warranty protection
- Lost luggage reimbursement
- Trip delay or cancellation insurance
Visa Signature cardholders also have access to a concierge that can book certain travel, restaurant and event reservations. Make sure you check the specific benefits offered by your card issuer, as not all Visa Signature products include all potential benefits.
Visa Infinite is the most premium type of Visa credit card within the United States. The majority of the benefits it offers typically come with Visa Signature products as well. However, Visa Infinite cards come with a higher level of travel services, including:
- Access to the Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection
- Concierge services
- Additional car rental privileges
- Some cards include airline lounge access through Priority Pass™
The table below provides a summary of the different benefits you can expect with each type of Visa card. Note that not all benefits will be offered by each card type. Check with your specific card and issuer to determine the Visa benefits of a specific card.
|Cardholder inquiry service (24-hour)|
|Zero liability policy|
|Lost/stolen card reporting|
|Emergency card replacement|
|Emergency cash disbursement|
|Roadside Dispatch service|
|ID Navigator Protection|
|Visa Offers + perks|
|Price and return protection|
|Travel and emergency assistance|
|Extended warranty protection|
Visa credit card benefits
Being offered a Roadside Dispatch service through your Visa Traditional sounds nice. But what exactly does that mean? Here are some additional details on the common benefits offered by Visa cards.
Roadside Dispatch is a pay-per-use roadside assistance program available to Visa cardholders 24/7. For a set price per service call, you can request:
- Standard towing (up to five miles included)
- Tire changing
- Lockout service (no key replacement)
- Fuel delivery of up to five gallons
- Standard winching
Roadside Dispatch is available with all three types of Visa cards. To use the service, call 1-800-847-2869.
You have access to a variety of travel and emergency assistance services through your eligible Visa card. This benefit is typically available with Visa Signature and Visa Infinite products. A multilingual call center is available 24/7 to provide services including:
- Pre-trip assistance
- Emergency transportation assistance
- Emergency message service
- Prescription and valuable document delivery
- Legal referral assistance
- Emergency translation
- Emergency ticket replacement
Visa Offers + Perks come with all types of Visa cards. Visit this page and filter offers by card type and category to see what is available. Offers include deals on food and wine, retail, travel, sports, entertainment and more. You'll need to also filter by payment type, as Visa debit cards also have access to Visa offers.
Both Visa Signature and Visa Infinite offer dedicated Luxury Hotel Collection benefits. Cardholders can enjoy premium benefits such as:
- Automatic room upgrade
- Complimentary in-room Wi-Fi
- Complimentary breakfast for two
- $25 USD food or beverage credit
- Late checkout where available
The Visa Signature hotel collection includes over 900-plus hotel partners around the world. The Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection includes a hand-selected portfolio of hotels, and each offers a special amenity unique to the property for your stay.
Visa Signature cardholders can enjoy up to 15% off Silvercar by Audi when renting from any of their 30 U.S. locations. Visa Infinite cardholders enjoy additional rental car privileges with a number of car rental providers, such as:
- 30% off of Avis and Silvercar rentals
- Special savings and extra hours on Hertz rentals
- 25% off plus complimentary Emerald Club Executive level membership with National
Both Visa Signature and Visa Infinite offer concierge service for cardholders. Cardholders can contact a concierge 24/7 by either email or phone at 1-800-953-7392. The concierge may be able to handle some requests immediately. In some cases, the concierge will need to research a request and follow up later. Services are available in English for assistance with travel planning, dining reservations, entertainment tickets and other personal assistance.
Using your covered Visa card for an eligible purchase will automatically trigger extended warranty protection:
- For warranties of less than one year, the coverage will double the warranty time.
- For warranties between one and three years, the coverage will extend the warranty for an additional year.
This benefit is typically available on Visa Signature and Visa Infinite cards. Check your card terms and conditions to see if it offers the extended warranty benefit.
You can enjoy automatic collision damage waiver coverage when you rent a covered vehicle using your Visa card that offers this benefit. To trigger the Visa Collision Damage Waiver, you must decline any collision damage coverage offered by the car rental agency and your name must be listed as the primary renter on the auto rental contract. Any additional renters must also be listed on the rental agreement.
Collision damage coverage can include physical damage, theft, reasonable towing and loss-of-use charges. Contact your issuer for a Guide to Benefits for all details of this perk. This benefit is typically found on Visa Signature and Infinite products.
Using your eligible Visa card offering the lost luggage reimbursement benefit will cover the loss of your luggage due to theft or misdirection by an airline or other common transportation carrier. For complete terms and conditions, and to ensure your card carries this benefit, check out your card's complete Guide to Benefits.
Ever had a missed connection that caused a significant trip delay? Visa trip delay reimbursement can provide some peace of mind.
- You can receive up to $300 per ticket when you are stuck for more than 12 hours due to a covered reason when you pay for travel with a common carrier using your eligible Visa Signature card.
- Visa Infinite cards enhance this coverage to a maximum of $500 per ticket when your trip is delayed for more than six hours for a covered reason.
Coverage applies to the cardholder, the cardholder's spouse and children under 22 years of age.
Visa trip cancellation/trip interruption reimbursement can help reimburse you the non-refundable cost of fares in the unfortunate event you must cut your trip short. Covered travel can include air, ferry, rail, bus or cruise ship. The cardholder and immediate family members can enjoy coverage, even if the cardholder is not traveling with them. Coverage is up to $5,000 per covered trip, up to $10,000 per occurrence and up to $20,000 within a 12-month period.
If your checked baggage is delayed for more than four hours during a trip where you paid for your tickets with your eligible Visa card, you can be reimbursed for up to $300 in necessities that you purchase. You'll need to save receipts, as terms, conditions and exclusions apply. This benefit typically applies to Visa Signature cards.
Some Visa Signature cards offer cellphone protection coverage when you pay your monthly wireless bill with your card. Your cellphone will be covered for the next calendar month. Terms and conditions apply. The Chase Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card (featured above) notably offers this benefit of up to $600 per incident with a $100 deductible.
Visa Signature and higher cards often offer purchase protection, insuring your purchase from theft or other loss for a specified amount of time. For example, some Chase Visa Infinite cards cover a stolen or damaged item for 120 days, up to $10,000 per claim.
To qualify, you must purchase the item with your eligible card. In instances of theft, you'll need to file a police report. Lost items aren't typically covered. Not all issuers offer purchase protection coverage. Notably, Citi and Barclays have removed purchase protection from their cards. Make sure you read your card's terms and conditions to understand this benefit.
You can enjoy return protection for up to 90 days when you purchase an eligible item of up to $250 ($300 with Visa Infinite, up to $1,000 per year per account). If you aren't satisfied with your purchase and the merchant will not accept it for return, Return Protection may cover it.
The types of items that are not covered include:
- Animals and living plants
- Motorized vehicles
- Cash or other negotiable instruments
- Damaged items
- Formal wear
- Items purchased for resale
- Jewelry and collectible items
- Perishable/consumable items
FAQs about Visa credit cards
Costco only accepts Visa credit cards in-store. You can use Visa, Mastercard or Discover cards when ordering from Costco.com.
All types of Visa cards use a 16-digit card number starting with the numeral "4". The first six digits are the issuer identifier numbers.
You can use most, if not all, Visa debit cards as a credit card, including prepaid Visa cards. If you run a debit card as credit, the funds are not withdrawn from your account immediately (as with debit) and your transaction will take a day or two to clear. You'll also not be able to receive cash back if you run a Visa debit card as a credit card.
Discover card products are not Visa credit cards. Discover Financial Services operates the Discover card network separate from Visa, Mastercard, etc.
Many banks issue Visa credit cards. Visa is the most common type of credit card issued in the United States. Major U.S. banks such as JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank and Citibank all issue Visa credit cards.
All types of Visa credit cards start with the number "4". Cards that start with "5" are Mastercards and it is a Discover card if it starts with a "6". The five digits plus the initial "4" on a Visa card comprise the issuer identifier number.
American Express cards are not Visa cards. American Express is both a card issuer and a card network separate from Visa. While American Express issues a large number of products directly, they also issue cards through banks like Wells Fargo.
Recap of the best Visa credit cards of 2022
To make choosing the right card easier, we've looked at credit cards reviewed on ValuePenguin as well as cards on major issuer sites to compile a list of the best rewards credit cards available right now. Our recommendations are based on the additional value you can earn with the cards — including the rewards value, cost of ownership and value of benefits such as travel and purchase protections, lounge membership and airline companion passes. Our choices are not influenced by our advertisers. Learn more on how we calculate rewards.
The information related to Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.