Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
Food delivery apps such as Grubhub, UberEats and Postmates have become large-scale enterprises in recent times. This rise is a likely contributor to the worldwide food delivery market being valued at more than $84 billion in 2018, according to market research firm IMARC, with expectations that it would nearly double in the coming years. These apps contract with local restaurants to eliminate the "last mile" between the restaurant and the consumer, for a fee. And with the explosion in popularity, credit card issuers have taken notice and added benefits to their cards to reflect their customers' wants.
There isn't a singular best credit card for food delivery, but there are a few that give consumers great value and benefits for those who enjoy dining at home or delivery to their office. Here are a few of the best credit cards for food delivery.
To make choosing the right card easier, we've looked at credit cards reviewed on ValuePenguin as well as cards on major issuer sites to compile a list of the best rewards credit cards available right now. Our recommendations are based on the additional value you can earn with the cards — including the rewards value, cost of ownership and value of benefits such as travel and purchase protections, lounge membership and airline companion passes. Our choices are not influenced by our advertisers. Learn more on how we calculate rewards.
Best credit cards for food delivery services
American Express® Gold Card: Earn Membership Rewards with Grubhub and Seamless
American Express® Gold Card
See Pay Over Time APR
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
The American Express® Gold Card debuted in late 2018, designed for cardholders' growing appetites for dining out, eating in and traveling, and these benefits also extend to consumers who enjoy food delivery services. So if you prefer takeout over dining in, you can enjoy the same benefits and still earn Membership Rewards points.
The card offers a $120 yearly dining credit (broken out into $10 per month, enrollment required)) that includes the following food delivery options: Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed and Shake Shack (participating locations). You'll also enjoy a $120 yearly Uber Cash (broken out into up to $10 per month) that includes U.S. Uber rides or U.S. Uber Eats purchases. Your American Express® Gold Card needs to be added to your Uber app in order to receive this monthly Uber Cash benefit.
In addition to these credits, you will also earn 4 Membership Rewards points per dollar on those purchases, as well as your purchases from many other restaurants.
The American Express® Gold Card has a moderate annual fee of $250. However, this can be quickly made back by using the card's credits.
Uber Visa Card: Earn Uber Cash from Uber Eats
The Uber Visa Card is a great option for consumers living life on the go. And while other credit cards have myriad benefits, this card earns simple, yet notable rewards: Uber cash to use on your next Uber Eats order.
As you use the Uber Visa Card, you will earn: 5% back in Uber Cash on Uber rides, Uber Eats, and JUMP, 3% in Uber Cash on restaurants, bars, hotels, and airfare, and 1% back in Uber Cash on all other purchases.
The Uber cash you earn can be used towards your next Uber-related purchase.
The card comes with other useful benefits, including no foreign transaction fee and up to $600 cell phone protection.
Chase Sapphire Reserve®: Ultimate Rewards points and DashPass membership
Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself BackSM, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® is one of the most robust rewards credit cards available. And recently, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® added benefits for DoorDash.
DoorDash has introduced a subscription service called DashPass. With the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, you get complimentary DashPass which gives unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12. Even better, you get up to $120 in statement credits toward DoorDash purchases — $60 through 2020 and another $60 through 2021. This DashPass membership lasts for a minimum of one year, and you must activate by Dec. 31, 2021.
When you dine out, opt for takeout or use a food delivery service, you will earn 3 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar. Chase Ultimate Rewards are extremely valuable because they can be transferred to travel partners, including Southwest Airlines and United Airlines.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve®'s annual fee is $550. But when you utilize each of the card's benefits, including the DashPass credits and the $300 annual travel credit, you can recover a great amount of that fee.
The information related to the Uber Visa Card has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.