Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
Food delivery apps such as Grubhub, UberEats and Postmates have become large-scale enterprises in recent times. This rise is a likely contributor to the worldwide food delivery market being valued at more than $84 billion in 2018, according to market research firm IMARC, with expectations that it would nearly double in the coming years. These apps contract with local restaurants to eliminate the “last mile” between the restaurant and the consumer, for a fee. And with the explosion in popularity, credit card issuers have taken notice and added benefits to their cards to reflect their customers’ wants.
There isn’t a singular best credit card for food delivery, but there are a few that give consumers great value and benefits for those who enjoy dining at home or delivery to their office. Here are a few of the best credit cards for food delivery.
Best credit cards for food delivery services
- American Express® Gold Card: Earn Membership Rewards with Grubhub and Seamless
- Uber Visa Card: Earn Uber Cash from Uber Eats
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®: Ultimate Rewards points and DashPass membership
- Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card: Bonus points for ordering in with no annual fee
- ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® Credit Card: Outstanding rewards on food delivery
American Express® Gold Card: Earn Membership Rewards with Grubhub and Seamless
American Express® Gold Card
See Pay Over Time APR
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
The American Express® Gold Card debuted in late 2018, designed for cardholders’ growing appetites for dining out, eating in and traveling, and these benefits also extend to consumers who enjoy food delivery services. So if you prefer takeout over dining in, you can enjoy the same benefits and still earn Membership Rewards points.
The card offers a $120 yearly dining credit (broken out into $10 per month) that includes the following food delivery options: Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed and Shake Shack (participating locations).
In addition to the dining credit, you will also earn 4 Membership Rewards points per dollar on those purchases, as well as your purchases from many other restaurants.
The American Express® Gold Card has a moderate annual fee of $250. However, this can be quickly made back by using the card’s credits, including the $120 dining credit.
For rates and fees of the American Express® Gold Card, please click here.
Uber Visa Card: Earn Uber Cash from Uber Eats
The Uber Visa Card is a great option for consumers living life on the go. And while other credit cards have a myriad of benefits, this card earns simple, yet notable rewards: Uber cash to use on your next Uber Eats order.
As you use the Uber Visa Card, you will earn:
- 5% Uber cash on Uber, Uber Eats, and JUMP electric scooters and bikes
- 3% back in Uber cash on dining, hotels, vacation home rentals and airfare
- 1% back in Uber cash on all other purchases
The Uber cash you earn can be used towards your next Uber-related purchase.
The card comes with other useful benefits, including no foreign transaction fee and up to $600 cell phone protection.
Chase Sapphire Reserve®: Ultimate Rewards points and DashPass membership
Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® is one of the most robust rewards credit cards available. And recently, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® added benefits for DoorDash.
DoorDash has introduced a subscription service called DashPass. With the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, you get complimentary DashPass which gives unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12. Even better, you get up to $120 in statement credits toward DoorDash purchases — $60 through 2020 and another $60 through 2021. This DashPass membership lasts for a minimum of one year, and you must activate by Dec. 31, 2021.
When you dine out, opt for takeout or use a food delivery service, you will earn 3 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar. Chase Ultimate Rewards are extremely valuable because they can be transferred to travel partners, including Southwest Airlines and United Airlines.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve®'s annual fee is $550. But when you utilize each of the card’s benefits, including the DashPass credits and the $300 annual travel credit, you can recover a great amount of that fee.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card: Bonus points for ordering in with no annual fee
Credit card rewards points can sometimes be difficult to collect if you aren’t spending significantly in certain categories like travel. The Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card offers a wide variety of merchant categories to earn up to 3 points per dollar, including:
- Eating out and ordering in
- Gas stations, rideshares and transit
- Flights, hotels, homestays and car rentals
- Popular streaming services
You can redeem points for a variety of purchases, including travel and statement credits at a value of 1 cent per point. And to get your points balance started, the card comes with a great welcome offer: You will earn 20,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months. The card also comes with a $0 annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
Chase Freedom Flex℠: Outstanding cash back on food delivery
The ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® Credit Card has rotating bonus categories similar to cashback cards like the Chase Freedom Flex℠ or Discover it® Cash Back. Instead of cash back, you will earn 5x rewards on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter in popular categories such as dining, groceries, travel, and automotive. The points you earn can be redeemed for travel rewards, gift cards or statement credits.
The ABOC rewards calendar for 2020 is:
- Q1 (January-March): Monthly bills (i.e. utilities, cell phone, cable, Amazon Prime, streaming subscription services)
- Q2 (April-June): Dining and transportation (this includes dine-in, take out, and food delivery)
- Q3 (July-September): Travel (i.e. airline tickets, cruises, car rentals, hotels)
- Q4 (October-December): Department stores (this includes Amazon.com and other major online retailers)
Since the 5% bonus in Q2 includes takeout and food delivery, the ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® Credit Card is one of the most rewarding options for food delivery services for a quarter of the year. To add to the potential earnings, there is a sign-up bonus available. You can Earn a $150 statement credit after you spend $1,200 on purchases within the first three months from account opening.
The card comes with a $0 annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
The information related to the Chase Freedom Flex℠ has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.