Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It has not been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any credit card issuer.
Citi is an advertising partner.
Individuals with great credit scores have access to top-notch credit card offers. If you’ve worked hard to build and maintain a stellar credit history, you will want to make sure you get the best credit card for your spending needs, and maximize the rewards and perks you can earn with that card.
|Best For||Credit Needed||Annual Fee|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||Travel||Excellent||$95|
|Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer||Flat-rate cash back||Excellent||$0|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express||Supermarkets||Excellent/Good||$95 (See Rates & Fees)|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®||Luxury||Excellent||$550|
|The Platinum Card® from American Express||Runner-up luxury||Excellent/Good||$550 (See Rates & Fees)|
Continue reading below for a detailed look at the benefits and features of each card. You can also head to our credit card comparison tool at the bottom of the page to see which cards work for your budget and travel goals.
The Best Travel Card for Excellent Credit
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
15.99% - 22.99% Variable
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That's 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a favorite among most travelers. The card produces a 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide
Outstanding Welcome Bonus and Chase Ultimate Rewards
There are two things that make this card standout from the rest — the sign-up bonus and Ultimate Rewards points. The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card has one of the best welcome offers of any credit card on the market. Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. The value of this bonus is $750 when redeemed towards travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal.
Redeem Points with Transfer Partners
All the rewards you earn with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card are in the form of Chase Ultimate Rewards points. We estimate them to be worth $0.0125 each when used towards travel, but you can get even more out of them by transferring them to any one of the 13 partnered hotel and airline programs, which includes Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®, United MileagePlus®, and Marriott Rewards®.
Best Flat-Rate Cashback Card for Excellent Credit
For those with excellent credit, the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer gives the best all-around cashback rewards. You'll Earn 2% cash back on purchases: 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay. Few other credit cards deliver that kind of high rewards rate at all stores and on all types of purchases.
Flexibility with No Annual Fee
The Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer comes with a $0 annual fee, meaning that the rewards earned on the card can be all profit — provided you always pay your bill in full and you don’t miss payments. This is the best card for people whose budget doesn’t conform to one particular credit card's rewards structure.
Runner-Up Cashback Card for Excellent Credit
The Discover it® Cash Back also offers some of the highest cashback rewards — doubly so during the first year of card membership. Normally this credit card gives 5% cash back in bonus categories that rotate throughout the year, up to a maximum of $1,500 in purchases each quarter, each time you activate. All other spending earns 1% cash back. Below, we've included the 5% rotating bonus calendar for 2020.
|Grocery stores, Walgreens, CVS||Gas stations, Uber, Lyft, Wholesale Clubs||Restaurants, PayPal||Amazon.com, Target.com, Walmart.com|
Double Rewards in Your First Year
For new cardmembers, however, all the cashback rewards are doubled their first year — essentially making the rewards at least 2% and up to 10% for bonus categories during that first year.
Best Supermarket Cashback Card for Excellent Credit
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more). 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Don't wait for your Card in the mail. Start earning cash back before your card even arrives, if eligible for Instant Card Number.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, currently 12.99% to 23.99%
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
There are few cards that can beat the high cashback rates offered by the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express for the typical household budget. The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express earns users an excellent 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and 1% Cash Back on other purchases. that's good enough for $360 back every year if you hit the $6,000 spending mark.
Worth the Annual Fee for Gas and Supermarket Spending
The card comes with a $95 annual fee (See Rates & Fees), but it can be one of the better cards that's available to those with excellent credit if you spend heavily at U.S. gas stations, U.S. supermarkets, streaming services, and transit. It also awards cardholders with the following welcome bonus: Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months. That statement credit can help offset the card's annual fee for two years.
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, please click here.
Best Luxury Travel Card For Excellent Credit
Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.
If you’re looking for a card with a long list of perks and features that’ll make your travels easier, there are few cards — if any — that come close to matching the benefits the Chase Sapphire Reserve® offers. While the card has a $550 annual fee, anyone who takes advantage of the $300 annual travel credit, Priority Pass lounge access, and application fee credits for Global Entry or TSA Precheck can cover most of that fee.
Part of the Chase Ultimate Rewards Program
The card gives users access to Chase Ultimate Rewards, which is one of the best rewards programs around. The value of 1 point earned with this card has the potential to be worth $0.015 when utilizing the 50% bonus for redeeming for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. This means that the card's sign-up bonus can be worth $750. Points can also be transferred to the card’s 13 participating travel partners.
Luxury Travel Perks
Beyond high rewards, the card's plethora of perks allows cardholders to enjoy a seamless travel experience. The card offers complimentary airport lounge access, trip interruption insurance, baggage delay insurance and more. If you’re interested in a specific travel perk, this card has it.
Runner-Up Luxury Card for Excellent Credit
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is one of the premier credit cards for people who love premium perks. The card grants users Uber VIP status and free rides in the United States up to $15 per month. Users are also eligible for a $20 Uber ride bonus in the month of December. On top of that, users get access to the Amex Centurion lounge locations, which are often touted as the best airline lounges. Centurion lounges often have places for travelers to shower and even offer complimentary beverages. They are some of the best spots to relax before an upcoming flight.
Earn American Express Membership Rewards
Beyond luxury perks, The Platinum Card® from American Express also packs a punch when it comes to earning users American Express membership reward points. Cardholders are eligible to 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and 5X Membership Rewards® points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com. All other purchases net users 1x point per dollar spent. Currently, new cardholders are eligible for the following welcome bonus: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
The information related to the Citi® Double Cash Card has been independently collected by ValuePenguin and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card prior to publication.
Compare Credit Cards For People with Excellent Credit
Choosing the right credit card typically comes down to how and where you shop. People with the best credit scores should, therefore, use the tool below to be matched with the right credit card for them. Once you enter your estimated monthly budget, the calculator will order the difference in credit card options from most to least valuable — based on the value of rewards earned net any annual fee.
Frequently Asked Questions
What credit cards can you get with a 700 credit score?
A 700 credit score is considered somewhere between good and excellent credit. Within this range you'd be a competitive applicant for most credit cards. If you'd like to improve your credit score in order to bolster your odds of nabbing a premium credit card, we recommend you check out our guide on how to do just that.
What is the best credit card for someone with excellent credit?
Credit cards aren't one size fits all. The best credit card for you will depend on your spending and lifestyle. That's why we always recommend that shoppers compare multiple offers before applying to any single card. You can utilize our custom built credit card comparison tool above to see which card is best based on your own spending.
Which credit card offers the highest credit limit?
While some credit cards offer higher credit limits than others and will vary by applicant. If you're only interested in credit cards with high limits, we recommend you check out our roundup of the best high limit credit cards.
Is a 750 credit score good or excellent?
A 750 credit score is typically considered excellent, though this can depend on the bureau you're using and how a particular bank evaluates credit factors. Your actual score is just one component of how banks make lending decisions. However, a 750 credit score should qualify you for most of the cards on this list.
How many credit cards should you have for excellent credit?
The number of open accounts you have is only one factor in determining your credit score. Other factors that influence your score include recent account inquiries, credit utilization ratio (how much of your limits you're using), length of your credit history and the variety of loan products you have. People with excellent credit scores maintain a utilization rate of lower than 30% and limit their number of new account inquiries.