Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through a credit card issuer partnership.
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Many card issuers have added generous benefits to compensate for underutilized travel benefits because of the ongoing pandemic. From shifting travel statement credits to grocery store credits to awarding bonus points on eligible restaurant purchases, these limited-time offers have been instrumental during a time when travel has declined.
Just recently, American Express announced the removal of the $100 annual airline credit on the American Express® Gold Card. Cardholders who applied by Feb. 4, 2021, could use this credit on incidental airline fees, such as checked bags, seat selection, airport lounge day passes on a preferred airline of your choice.
New cardholders will receive an annual Uber Cash benefit instead, worth up to $120. Now, American Express® Gold Card holders will receive $10 in Uber Cash each month, which can be used for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides within the U.S. once you add the card to the Uber app. This new benefit will replace the $100 airline credit, proving to be useful for those who order food delivery or take Uber rides at least once per month.
American Express® Gold Card
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
How the new Uber Cash benefit works
Your American Express® Gold Card needs to be added to your Uber app in order to receive this monthly Uber Cash benefit.
Uber Cash is Uber’s currency used for both Uber rides or orders with Uber Eats. You’ll receive $10 in Uber Cash each month, for a total of $120 in a calendar year.
Is the American Express® Gold Card worth it?
Although the American Express® Gold Card is technically a travel card earning rewards through the Membership Rewards® program, this card is also an impressive dining card. It’s offering a generous welcome bonus: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
You’ll Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X), and 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com. Terms apply. This card has a sizable annual fee of $250 but can be worth it thanks to its various credits:
- Up to $120 dining credit at eligible dining partners, including Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed and participating Shake Shack locations. You’ll receive up to a $10 statement credit each month, and up to $120 total in credits over a year (enrollment required).
- Up to $120 in Uber Cash for U.S. Uber rides or on U.S. Uber Eats orders. You’ll receive $10 in Uber Cash each month when you add the card to the Uber app, for up to $120 in savings on Uber over a year.
- One-time (up to) $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa and resort activities, plus a room upgrade upon arrival (if available) when booking a stay of two consecutive nights or longer with American Express Travel.
Besides, consider the other exclusive benefits of this card:
- Personalized travel service to help arrange flights, hotels and ground transport.
- Global assist hotline that’s available 24/7 whenever you travel more than 100 miles from home, providing medical, legal, financial and other select emergency assistance and coordination services.
- Baggage insurance plan provides coverage for up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and up to $500 for checked baggage when you purchase the entire ticket fare on your card.
- Foreign transaction fees: None.
All in all, the $250 annual fee may be a deterrent for many. But those who can maximize its annual credits will be able to make up for the fee, plus enjoy the many benefits that come with this top-tier dining and travel card.
The American Express® Gold Card already excels in supermarkets and eligible restaurant purchases, so this Uber Cash benefit is a valuable new addition. Cardholders should be able to easily use this benefit, as Uber ride-sharing and Uber Eats are both prevalent throughout the country. On top of that, you’ll earn a ton of points from Uber Eats purchases, since the card’s 4X bonus on eligible restaurants includes takeout and delivery.